Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT Rock Buggy, lots and lots of pics, 56K beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 07:24 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMFMaxxMan
i run stock tlt steering links and have taken some pretty nasty falls and have beat them on the rocks several times too with no problems. Lighter is better eh? I always underbuild and if it breaks i rebuild (maybe a bit stronger). That way i know how light i can go without completely giving up durability. But anyways the point is that those skimpy steering links work just fine.
i also run the stock steering links as well with no problems. beat the crap out of them too!
gregrocks90046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2005, 07:36 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

its a great truck it just looks weird whit that box hangin on the bottom... mabey you could move the tranny up into the frame and lower the frame to get an even lower cg.... i give u props for keepin ur steering links straight... im sure i could f them up pretty good lol
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:43 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

is it copper tubeing and what axles are you using

sweet truck
chrispbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:02 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davkin
Moving the trans up raises the links and CG, now why in the world would I want to do that?
I think you could LOWER the chassis over the trans for even lower COG.

Sweet rig none the less
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:04 PM   #25

the only time i ever bent the stock steering rods is when i got them snagged on something. but then again i had 'em mounted on the bottom of the knuckles stock-style. i dont think having them mounted on top would be that bad.

again, that thing is wicked cool. VERY nice.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Thumbs up

Very NICE rig.
Hansolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:38 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Okay, I'll try responding to all the posts again, but I'll probably take two or three posts to do it.

Quote:
Looks real good. What tranny are you using, and where do the batteries go?
The trans is designed and built by me from scratch. The housing is aluminum as is the main shaft. It uses a Nitro TC3 spur gear for the main drive and pinions for the rest.

The batteries sit just in front of the trans, opposite the motor.

Quote:
looks nice but in my opinion the belly hangs waaaay waaaaaay too low.
It's an optical illusion I guess. The belly of my buggy is no lower than the frame plates of most crawlers.

Quote:
Looks killer, but is that copper water line? If it is, don't dump it over very hard. That stuff will bend like no other.
No, it's is 5/32 solid brass rod, and I have rolled it over plenty with nothing bending.

Quote:
and he runs gp1100 2/3a cells.
Hey Ron, I didn't know you hung around here. Actually, I am running CBP 2500's now. It took some work to make them fit in the same area and I ended up with a very wierd shaped pack but the 1100's were getting soft and low on run time as I'd beat them up all summer fast charging them. I get over one hour with these 2500's and they weigh less than half what a 6 cell 3000 mah pack weighs.

Quote:
can you get a vid of it on the rocks as well??
I took a little video in Moab, but I just got this camera and don't even have the fire wire card installed on my computer yet and it will be a couple weeks before I get to it and learn how to edit the video.

Quote:
Looks sweet, are those RAM lights or are they rc-neon LED's in custom cases?
They are LED's I bought on ebay from Hong Kong in Clod Buster Hi-lites housings.

Quote:
damn! j/w what do yall weld with? looks like propain tanks?
No, I didn't use the propane torch for this. I used a resistance solderer, it allows you to solder joints that are very close together without loosening a previous joint, not possible to do with a torch.

David
Davkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:44 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Hey Ron, I didn't know you hung around here. Actually, I am running CBP 2500's now. It took some work to make them fit in the same area and I ended up with a very wierd shaped pack but the 1100's were getting soft and low on run time as I'd beat them up all summer fast charging them. I get over one hour with these 2500's and they weigh less than half what a 6 cell 3000 mah pack weighs.

were did you ge tthe batts?

unitedRC has some of the gp 2200's but he hasnt listed or posted the pics i asked for and he said he would. want some slightly larger cells for the tlt, and a few other projects.
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
When are you going to send pics to RC Driver for your free subscription?
Unfortunately my digital camera, while great for the internet isn't good enough for the magazines.

Quote:
its a great truck it just looks weird whit that box hangin on the bottom...
I'll admit, from a side profile it does look a tad unusual. I originally intended to run diagonal bars down to the gearcase but I couldn't figure out a away to attach them and I had interference problems. You have given me an idea though that I might try later that will make it a little better looking. I'm thinking I might made panels that mount to the side of the gearcase and make it look like the cage extends down to encompass the trans. It will look better if I can do it without interfering with the movement of the links, and will eliminate that optical illusion that makes people think it has a low belly or whatever.

Quote:
mabey you could move the tranny up into the frame and lower the frame to get an even lower cg....
Well, that's not possible because everything mounts to the gearcase. I could maybe mill a little off the mounting part and move it up maybe 1/4" to 1/2", but that would move the trans up, not the frame down, I'd have to rework the whole shock mounting and the whole front end, (interference issues.) to really make it work but I don't want to as the main thing I was after was a scale rig that's a reasonably competitive performer, and I think I achieved that, just a little more tweaking and it will be as good as any 2.2 truck in UTRCRC.

Quote:
is it copper tubeing and what axles are you using
No, brass rod as mentioned in the previous post. The axles are TLT axles.

Quote:
I think you could LOWER the chassis over the trans for even lower COG.
It's just not possible, there isn't room at the front, my articulation is somewhat limited already. The main reason I had a small COG problem at the event is my truck as the shortest wheelbase in the club.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

David
Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
were did you ge tthe batts?
www.cheapbatterypacks.com

Awesome service! The 2500's are A cells as opposed to 2/3 A for the 1100's. However they are larger diameter as well and nearly twice as long.

David
Old 09-13-2005, 10:17 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Hey man! The pics are awesome...but they still don't compare to holding the rig in your hands. The build quality on this chassis is astonishing. It looks like a production piece...if not better.

To all the guys who don't know me...I'm Ryan...as in 3rd in the 2.2 class at the Moab comp Ryan...so I was there, . I held this chassis in my hands and checked it out. It is absolutely phenomenal...and if he decides to make another, I'll buy one. The custom tranny thing is just super-cool, and the "scale-ness" of the whole things is just off- the charts. Oh...and what he says about the tranny not hanging low is totally spot on...it has as good or better center ground clearance as any other 2.2 rig I've seen.

The one thing I don't care for is the suspension. Having the shocks mount towards the center of the axle (and actually point in rather than out) takes away from the realism of the look IMO, and I think it also hurts stability a little.

Other things I would change if it were my rig...

-Wider off-set wheels
-Longer wheelbase
-Driver figure (you had one pictured I think...woulda been cool to see it on the finished rig...although it would make changing the battery a bit more difficult.
-Maybe move the battery, or at least a few cells from the battery, to under the hood or something, instead of in the center of the truck next to and on top of the tranny.

Again...these are just things I would change if it were mine...I think this buggy is exceptional...and probably the best, and most original, that I've seen. It already crawls well, and I think it will crawl with anything with a little more fine tuning. Great job davkin! I look foward to crawling with you again, and seeing this thing in action!
metalry101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:08 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
The build quality on this chassis is astonishing. It looks like a production piece...if not better.
Well, thanks Ryan, (I'll PayPal the $20 later tonight. ) Seriously, I think you're gushing a bit but I appreciate it.

Quote:
as in 3rd in the 2.2 class at the Moab comp Ryan...so I was there
Yes, you did extremely well, especially for a first comp. The best I've done after five comps is win a single stage. We won't talk about my final standings for events.

Quote:
if he decides to make another, I'll buy one.
You don't have enough money to get me to build another one these things!

Quote:
Having the shocks mount towards the center of the axle (and actually point in rather than out) takes away from the realism of the look IMO, and I think it also hurts stability a little
Well, I don't like the looks of that either, though I don't think stability is an issue. When I first built this with the custom transmission I didn't have a buggy in mind, I had a fairly simple ladder chassis. The shock mounting points didn't end up in quite the same spot when I converted it to a buggy. I plan on making new shock and link mounting brackets and will try to fix that, I don't like the bulkiness of those big solid aluminum brackets I made.

Quote:
-Wider off-set wheels
I like the Stampedes and I already have the wide hexes on it. Ofna's would only give me maybe 1/2" wider stance but those rims are butt ugly IMO, not worth it.

Quote:
-Longer wheelbase
That one is in the cards. The shorter wheelbase has given me an advantage in some circumstances, (the reason I won that one stage) but overall it's more of a hinderance, I still don't think I'll go all the way up to the max allowed though.

Quote:
-Driver figure
Ya, I'll get around to finishing him up some day. I also have an "engine" to fill that big empty space in the rear that I need to finish up.

Quote:
Maybe move the battery, or at least a few cells from the battery, to under the hood or something
I can't, there is absolutely no space left forward of the trans.

David