RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya TLT Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/)
-   -   New tuber on the bench (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/15945-new-tuber-bench.html)

thaclodking 09-18-2005 12:22 PM

New tuber on the bench

3 Attachment(s)
My first tube chassis, so it's far from perfect. Let me know what you think, suggestions as always are welcome.

badtodabone 09-18-2005 12:29 PM

thats sooo cool!

cuban b 09-18-2005 12:56 PM

I dig the halo style cage and the three link. That said, do you think the STINGER is big enough?:shock:

thaclodking 09-18-2005 01:31 PM

Your stinger can NEVER be big enough, haha!!

nd4spdbh 09-18-2005 02:08 PM

that thing is freakin SWEEETTTTT... nice rear setup. what dampeners r u using??

thaclodking 09-18-2005 03:58 PM

Tamiya dampers, off of the old rough rider chassis. I have spares and they looked fairly "scale", so I threw them on.

KidWithAcrayon 09-18-2005 05:05 PM

Dammmmmmmmmmmn!

BEEFY!

That thing looks sick man, I love it.

nd4spdbh 09-18-2005 05:09 PM

u gonna stay with thoes rims and tires... i think moabs would look alot better

Brandon 09-18-2005 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
u gonna stay with thoes rims and tires... i think moabs would look alot better

I disagree, I think the imex tires he has now look perfect and scale for the project. Nice work!

thaclodking 09-18-2005 06:22 PM

I like the swampers just for the scale appearance. There is a great "recipe" for softening up tires in the tire section if they need to be stickier. Nothing against the moabs, just like the look on this rig.

nd4spdbh 09-18-2005 06:29 PM

no they do look good on the rig... also i just ran my moabs for the first time and i am not really impressed... they were 2 soft and would fold under itself... i guess ill try it with foams...

Knytemare 09-18-2005 07:28 PM

Wow that thing is just friggin sweet!

muddzillatx 09-18-2005 08:01 PM

when you get done with it can i BORROW IT FOREVER

rckjeep 09-18-2005 09:01 PM

can you post a pic of the bender you are using.

RCMFMaxxMan 09-18-2005 09:37 PM

i think that tube chassis is sweet. very cool design. i would make the stinger a bit smaller though. i don't know if i like how it looks with it that long.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
no they do look good on the rig... also i just ran my moabs for the first time and i am not really impressed... they were 2 soft and would fold under itself... i guess ill try it with foams...

yeah i posted in your thread about narrowing ofna rims. i said you HAVE TO use foams but i guess you didn't see it or had them glued up before you saw that. But the moabs are such a great tire. but yeah they will suck bad without foams.

WRMorrison 09-18-2005 10:24 PM

I dig it. 1/4" tubing is a nice change of pace with all the tubers being built out of 3/16" anymore.

-WRM

cstmp8r 09-19-2005 12:33 AM

that is a very sweet rig!! the only thing i would personally change is that big ol boner bar,other than that it looks freakin bad a$$!!!!

Stump 09-19-2005 02:10 PM

That is one sweet ride you are building. I would like to know why you run the springs seperate from the dampners? Is there an advantage? Or is it merely aesthetics?

thaclodking 09-20-2005 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all the comments and compliments guys. I won't be able to jump on it again till this weekend, so I will post some more progress pics then. Still gotta get to the hobby shop and pick up a tranny, shafts, and some diamond-plate (the scale plastic) and find a way to make a fuel cell/receiver holder.

I've seen a few 1:1 rigs with the coil springs set up this way and kinda liked the way ithey looked, still trying to figure out the upper mounts. I plan on doing a panhard bar set-up on the front with the steering servo mounted in the chassis. It probably won't be the best performer but for my first one i'm happy with it.

Here's the picture of the bender I use, I got it from the MAC tool guy but I've seen the same one at various auto parts stores. You can use pretty much any bender though, although it helps to get a bender that is marked with angles.

wsb 09-22-2005 03:30 PM

Looks sweet! How much tubing did you use so far?

Wayne

Jeeprockcrawler 09-22-2005 06:12 PM

Great Job....What Tranny you going to run???

Grizzly4x4 09-22-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thaclodking
I've seen a few 1:1 rigs with the coil springs set up this way and kinda liked the way ithey looked, still trying to figure out the upper mounts.

Here's how I have always captured my springs. Just a spring cup turned upside down with the first coil wrapped around it and a 3mm bolt passing through to secure it to the mount. I've never had one come off.

Excellent werk man, I love it but I think the stinger is too big. 8)

http://www.cascadeaccess.com/~rtdodd...104/Grizz3.jpg

boner 09-22-2005 07:41 PM

that looks like the good ol superduke
good looking buggy the bonerbar does look a little long but it is still a sharp looking rig

thaclodking 09-24-2005 01:30 PM

Thanks for the tip on the spring buckets, I'm down in the dungeon working on it now so I will post the progress as I can.

As for the tranny, I plan on using an RC10 just because I've got a few sitting around. It is also fairly compact and I don't have alot of room to work with.

There is probably about 7 feet of tubing so far, including waste. I have a stockpile of 1/4" and 3/16" so I just grab and go without really paying attention.

Xtreme ZR2 09-29-2005 05:04 PM

I think it looks good.

thaclodking 09-30-2005 01:26 PM

Thanks, didn't get to post any progress yet, brother has the camera. So far Ive got the body panels made, cleaning the joints, and making the links for the front.

I should have her almost done this weekend. I'll definitely post some more pics.

RCMFMaxxMan 09-30-2005 05:50 PM

cool. i look forward to seeing the pics. this is a cool truck.

brendan h 10-01-2005 06:09 AM

great work on that. looks so cool.

what is a stinger used for?

hallnaz 10-02-2005 06:26 PM

how dod you figureout the shock spacing and location and the linkage length on your frame? im building a stick frame for my first crawler its 16 1/2 inch long and im having a problem comming up with the correct length links from the axles to the stick? and information would be helpfull and appreatched;-)

thaclodking 10-03-2005 03:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
hallnaz, I really don't have a method for my madness. I actually started this chassis with the top loop and went from there just eyeballing everything. I did no measuring at all, so it kind of surprises me that it looks even half-way decent.

brendan h, thanks for the vote of approval. The stinger, aka "boner bar" is used to keep your rig from flipping over forwards when decending steep inclines and also to help the front end to "slide up" objects. Not to mention it's just plain cool lookin'!!

I was finally able to get some pics of my progress thus far, as you can see I wasn't able to get too much done. Home duties keep me from working on my rigs as much as I want, but I was able to get my winch made, the front axle mounted and the body panels made. I decided on coil-overs for the front so I cut the stock TLT shocks down on my lathe and made the upper mounts for the rear springs.

The tranny is mounted but I still have to find the maxx sliders I just bought and modify them. Sometimes I swear there is some kind of "black hole" somewhere on my bench with some bastard on the other side that can't wait to see what I'll buy next, and why do you always loose things when you clean and organize? Isn't the purpose of doing so to be able to find things???

Things to be done next are mounting the steering servo and making linkage, front shock hoops, and mounting the electronics. With jury duty this starting this week I don't know if I'll get much done.

Gimbal 10-03-2005 08:28 AM

Nice job. Hope mine turns out half as good :)

Speed Demon 10-03-2005 09:35 AM

that thing is gonna be a nice crawler...

thaclodking 10-19-2005 03:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Well I actually made some progress on it tonight :roll: The chassis WAS done and painted, but when I started to clean the threads out I broke off one of the rear spring nuts. :evil: I guess its better now than when out crawling.The only thing left is fabbing the front panhard bar and steering linkage, so hopefully it will be done this weekend before Jamaica. If I do we'll see what kind of rocks they've got there!

mike5721947 10-19-2005 02:58 PM

just wondering something. are you running stampede rear rims and tlt axles?

if so whats your width from outside of tire to outside of tire and inside of tire to inside of tire. (just wonering before i go out and buy those rims.)

johnathanlopez 10-19-2005 03:12 PM

Hummm... thats hott!!! inspiring also... makes me want to get to work on mine... lol what is your wheel base on that guy? how did you hold yoru nuts in place while brazing them?

thanks
JL

thaclodking 10-19-2005 08:05 PM

I've got stampede rear rims on there now just for setup, but will change to the fronts for actual running. If you look close at the pictures there is a piece of 1/4" aluminum that I use for brazing the nuts on. I lay the tubing down on it and slide the nut into place and braze it up.

TwistedCreations 10-19-2005 08:22 PM

that stinger is gonna get bent to hell and back with no bracing and kill your approach.. but other than that, looks pretty good.

also, are you cutting the tubing with that cutter? chop saw or grinder with cutoff wheel works quicker :lol:

one more thing, was is that pice hanging down under the stinger. its only on one side.. you running 3 link up front and that is where the panhard bar is going?? maybe i overlooked it somehwre in the post :?

JasonInAugusta 10-19-2005 08:47 PM

Not sure how I missed this, but that's a pretty nice ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WRMorrison
I dig it. 1/4" tubing is a nice change of pace with all the tubers being built out of 3/16" anymore.

-WRM

I agree. 1/4" looks way better.

After getting Ralph from rckjeep Jr's frame looks puny. :lol:

I picked up some 1/4" but haven't had the time to mess with it.

thaclodking 10-20-2005 12:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Twisted, you are right on the money for the front. 3-link with a panhard. I know the stinger is gonna get the crap kicked out of it- but its only my first one. The next one will be built like a tank and with the added benefit of some forethought. I'm already finding some things I don't like, but altogether I'm happy with it.

Got most of it together, even tested the winch with a stick pack strapped to it for weight. It'll lift itself no problem, which isn't bad for a hobbico aileron servo. The only things left to do are finishing the front shocks which are TLT/Bruiser hybrids, the panhard bar and the steering linkage.

johnathanlopez 10-20-2005 12:11 PM

That looks really cool man! Great job! How well does your suspension setup work? Can you post some flex shots? Also, could you post some more on that steering linkage when you get it done. Very interesting!

cheers
JL