Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New comp rig MRV the w-h-o-r-e

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Badger uses that stuff. I had the cutting board stuff so I figured I'd try it. If I did go that route I'd gain another 1/8" of GC.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2005, 03:34 PM   #22
RCC Addict

That is truly a nice looking rig. Depending on the course designs, you really shouldn't have any problems getting hung up on that belly clearance (other than the corners). Especially at Castle Rock. You and Badger are going to be a great challenge for each other.

Oh, did you mention the center clearance? I may have missed it.

-Sam
SlinkySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 01:41 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
That is truly a nice looking rig. Depending on the course designs, you really shouldn't have any problems getting hung up on that belly clearance (other than the corners). Especially at Castle Rock. You and Badger are going to be a great challenge for each other.

Oh, did you mention the center clearance? I may have missed it.

-Sam
It's 2.5" at rest. The suspension has some sag so it can be more with stiffer springs.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:17 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

well I've been doing some playin with this new rig and it works really well. Though I keep breaking the diffs. There is the Y that holds the 3 spider gears on. I keep breaking the pins. I'll take it apart tomorrow and snap some pics. The one I broke last week I just took out and now the rear seems to be making the same noise. I also switched to a lathe motor and found the right gearing for me. An 84t spur & 16t pinion. I like a lot. A new body is in the works. Just need to find one that is narrow enough to work with the suspension flex. Anyone have any ideas on a narrow body? Post some ideas.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Can you just get the same body and trim it only where the tires would rub? Would that leave no support for any of the body?

It looks real good to me. I can't wait to get out and crawl with you again. I have mine to the point where it can actually perform decently enough to crawl without rolling every 10 seconds.

Not sure why you are breaking your diffs unless the screws are coming loose and then they are snapping. If so, try using lock tite. I felt mine after driving it a while and those screws were backing out. I have my diffs locked by moving one of the two spiders between the other two. Seems to hold up fine so far and no pin snapping.

-Sam
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkySam
Can you just get the same body and trim it only where the tires would rub? Would that leave no support for any of the body?

It looks real good to me. I can't wait to get out and crawl with you again. I have mine to the point where it can actually perform decently enough to crawl without rolling every 10 seconds.

Not sure why you are breaking your diffs unless the screws are coming loose and then they are snapping. If so, try using lock tite. I felt mine after driving it a while and those screws were backing out. I have my diffs locked by moving one of the two spiders between the other two. Seems to hold up fine so far and no pin snapping.

-Sam
That is what happened to mine was that the screws came loose on the diff. I pulled the broken piece of the Y, put it back together and thread locked it. no problems so far and its been a month...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:46 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

What lengths are you running on your links? I like your setup and am considering the purchase of an RBX.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:36 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Just need to find one that is narrow enough to work with the suspension flex. Anyone have any ideas on a narrow body? Post some ideas.
i got a body on my rbx that you may dig...

i got my rbx all finished up 'cept for the body, which still needs some more work. its been pretty much the most time consuming part of the build.

i'll post pics of it hopefully sometime this evening.

its pretty cool. well, at least i think so.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

well I've had the screws back out too. I've thread locked them in a while ago. These are the axles that were in my tuber so they have a fair amount of abuse. The front is locked by jamming paper towel pieces into the diff. It offers a bit of slip which is kinda cool to see one tire slip then grab. The rear is JB welded. I wish the ring gear bolted on and someone made a spool. RC Alloys hint hint. The weird thing is I never hear a snap! It just starts ticking. The WB is 13". The RBX is an awesome chassis, It's way more stable than the bulu I had before.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:08 AM   #30
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Which diff are you breaking, the front or rear?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I broke the front last week, now it seems the rear has broke. I'll take it apart now.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

well its apart sand the same thing that happened last week.

It's back together and I've moved the rear shocks outside the frame. Ii'm hoping it'll help with torque roll. It's really bad in certain situations. I've damn near had the front end completely vertical just from torque roll. It looks cool as he11.

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-10-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:07 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I had the same thing happen to both of my diffs. I just put everything back together and haven't had a problem with it since. I know it's not really the "right" way to do it but it worked for me.
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:44 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OIT_TLT
I had the same thing happen to both of my diffs. I just put everything back together and haven't had a problem with it since. I know it's not really the "right" way to do it but it worked for me.
That exactly what I did.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #35

did you make those links? where could i get some
hummerh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #36
I wanna be Dave

yes I did, I get 1/4" OD material with not quite 1/8" ID then drill them to 1/8" and tap it to 4mm. It's pretty easy.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I've had a few people ask for body off shots. Here ya go

I'll be making a new skid plate for it. Snice I bent the heck out of the stocker. Mine will follow my past skids with ramps and driveshaft cut outs.

Last edited by rckjeep; 10-13-2005 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #38
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
I've had a few people ask for body off shots. Here ya go

I'll be making a new skid plate for it. Snice I bent the heck out of the stocker. Mine will follow my past skids with ramps and driveshaft cut outs.
That looks like a good second place rig to me.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:55 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

wrong third place to me
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #40
RCC Addict

Weird.... I didn't know there was a place higher than first because you forgot about me

Looks great rckjeep. I am going to have horrible time trying to keep up with you guys at the next play days. I am trying to lick the wounds after the last event. I barely made it through in one piece after Badger tought me a thing or two or three or four....

-Sam