Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My low budget rookie crawler project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I have both of mine tilted with no real ill effects of steering. The steering can be vastly improved by shaving the cups down about .1" and I think that also can help increase the life of the inner axle shafts.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2005, 09:08 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

really i never liked the way with the front axle tilted how the front outside tire while turning points into the ground....

i have mine tilted alittle but not much
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:19 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

I'll adjust stuff up tommorow. I need to let the paint dry on my plates tonight.
Zombie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:23 AM   #24
Pebble Pounder

Here's an updated pic. I chewed half the paint off by trying different shock positions. The Stampede shocks are super stiff. I'm hoping the stock E-Maxx shocks I have coming in are a lot softer.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:36 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

ya they were the black springs are quite stiff... BUT any losi, associated and traxxas spring work on that shock. I think on mine im using a baby blue spring... cant remember who makes it tho

You could always try laying your shocks down further for a softer ride...

a couple suggestions:

as i have stated before try and get your pinion angle a little straighter in the rear

Oh and move the lower links on the inside of the bracket on the axle like this... it helps with triangulation and less binding.

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 10-23-2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:02 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
ya they were the black springs are quite stiff... BUT any losi, associated and traxxas spring work on that shock. I think on mine im using a baby blue spring... cant remember who makes it tho

You could always try laying your shocks down further for a softer ride...

a couple suggestions:

as i have stated before try and get your pinion angle a little straighter in the rear

Oh and move the lower links on the inside of the bracket on the axle like this... it helps with triangulation and less binding.
I remember checking out an E-Maxx and the shocks were super plush, so I'm hoping they're not too bad. I should have them any day now. Mounting the shocks anywhere except where they are in the pic made it either too high or too low. I meant to put the links where they are in your pic, but I forgot, so I'll change those tonight. I'm waiting to get the shocks (the ones coming in) on and everything before I adjust the links.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I found some good springs at the local hardware store. If they have some that work for you they're usually dirt cheap.
cuban b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

Here's a picture where I switched the front around. I moved the shocks, lower link mounts and adjusted the links a little. The picture makes it seem like the axles are angled a bunch, but it's just the way the picture came out. Should I leave the lower shock mounts on the outside?

Old 10-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

i moved my shocks to the inner part of the bracket... then i used a long like 20mm skrew to go throught the whole bracket with a 1/4 spacer to secure the lower link...

You bought 4 maxx shocks? pede rears and maxx shocks are exactly the same becides the spring.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:46 PM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh
i moved my shocks to the inside of the bracket... then i used a long like 20mm skrew to go throught the whole bracket with a 1/4 spacer to secure the lower link...

You bought 4 maxx shocks? pede rears and maxx shocks are exactly the same becides the spring.
I'll move the lower shock mounts around and see how it looks. I got eight E-Maxx shocks for $12 on the way.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:39 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

I moved all the shocks to the way they are in the front in that picture. The suspension is considerably softer now. It might be just right once I get those red springs in. I put a few spacers on the upper shock mounts, but the shocks still rub the chassis with the lower shock mounts on the inside. I could keep adding spacers, but I don't know it putting the top too far out will cause a problem. Right now I have them inside the lower mounts and nothing binds up until the shocks are totally compressed. And that's the shock spring hitting the chassis.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:08 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

i ust to have my shocks where urs are but i have now moved them to the skrew that holds the lower links on and i just ran a skrew all the way through the bracket with the shock in the center then lower link then nut.

this lowers the shock striaght down... ull have to make new holes... believe me my stock chassied crawler was like swiss cheese
Old 10-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

I like it the way I have it now, which is inside the lower mount. Here's some newer pics.

Old 10-24-2005, 09:45 PM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Here's another pic with the red springs and a hacked up Stampede body.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

WOAH!! ALERT!

With your shocks layed down that much, you will get way too much articulation, and it will have too much torque twist. If you stand the shocks up some, and leave the red springs on, should be plenty. I have my shocks stood up a bunch more, and with red springs, they work great.

Aside from the crazy angle of the shocks, that looks pretty darn good.

peace out
harris
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #36
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
WOAH!! ALERT!

With your shocks layed down that much, you will get way too much articulation, and it will have too much torque twist. If you stand the shocks up some, and leave the red springs on, should be plenty. I have my shocks stood up a bunch more, and with red springs, they work great.

Aside from the crazy angle of the shocks, that looks pretty darn good.

peace out
harris
You can see my max articulation in the pics. It seemed about as much as others who are running this setup.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:27 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Here's a pic of my max articulation with the shocks in a more upright position.

Old 10-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I'm not getting nearly as much articulation as I was when running the angled shocks. Even the black springs worked well when I had the shocks angled. I could add spacers for the torque twist. You can see my max articulation with this setup in the pictures I already posted. It didn't seem out of control. It looked like most other trucks around here.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:02 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie76
I like it the way I have it now, which is inside the lower mount. Here's some newer pics.

Chrome dildo's add horsepower.
Rooney7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney7783
Chrome dildo's add horsepower.
Thanks for the input.