Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: *** Stormin2u's 2009 AKRCC "Ares" Comp Truck ****

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyrene View Post
This came out sweet. Nice clean build! I can't wait to see the body painted up.

Hey gyrene thank you it was fun to build I have not had it on the rocks yet but I'm told by others that it's a very stable platform. I will say the articulation is super smooth due to longer upper and lower links.

I've got the paint shop set up and will be working on getting it painted. It will be orange of course and share my standard flame theme, I'm not as good as many of our fellow members but I really enjoy the painting process.

Silver or blue I'm not sure I like them both.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 03-18-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #62
tjb
Rock Crawler

Good to hear your sticking with StormnOrange! I can say you have the flour color down, best I see a lot of times
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:31 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Good to hear your sticking with StormnOrange! I can say you have the flour color down, best I see a lot of times
Thanks Jay coming from a first rate painter that's a real compliment.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Looks great Norm. Have you run the 35t Warrior yet? I'm thinking of getting one for my Hilift 3spd or maybe the clone. Just curious what you think, other stuff I've read seems like these motors are about as good, if not better than brushless motors.
Tom
metomwhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by metomwhou View Post
Looks great Norm. Have you run the 35t Warrior yet? I'm thinking of getting one for my Hilift 3spd or maybe the clone. Just curious what you think, other stuff I've read seems like these motors are about as good, if not better than brushless motors.
Tom
Hey Mr Tom, the 35T is a smooth motor lots of torque on the bottom I'm not sure how it would work in your Hilift. I'm sure you'd make it work but I might take a look at the 45T Warrior you should PM Jarrod he knows those motors. The 45T might be a better choice with a 3 speed if that tranny has a weak point the 35T would probably find it.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Another great build....i like the paint job...silver for sure and how you mounted the body on, pretty slick
I'm thinking on my Castle BEC set-up the same way you have yours, using the deans plugs......any disadvantages of having it that way before i do it?
Thanks
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:53 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusik333 View Post
Another great build....i like the paint job...silver for sure and how you mounted the body on, pretty slick
I'm thinking on my Castle BEC set-up the same way you have yours, using the deans plugs......any disadvantages of having it that way before i do it?
Thanks
Thanks prusik I'm not that good with the shadow lines if they come out reasonably clean it will be silver if I screw them up it will be blue for minimizing the effect.

Credit for that cleaver little deans pin idea belongs to John Rob Holmes it works great my CC BEC is set at 6v. The only disadvantage is the size it's fairly large and the BEC wiring takes a beating every time you connect and disconnect. I have a modification idea for the clip if I have any problems with the BEC wires.

Check back and see how the paint turns out.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Love the 360' idea. Give us a total recap of the whole rig. I love the build norm. Great job so far. I wanna see this thing hit the rocks and get your honest opinion on the beast!

* I cant wait.
ADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Hey Rock thanks for your support.
We'll have tire testing this weekend on the rocks at Taylors Falls just a great spot to crawl.
So far the truck has been exceptional with lots of predictable stable articulation and so very smooth.
The DNA dig and shifting servo have enough room in the chassis to get a perfect alignment on the shaft and shifts like butter.
We also lost about a half pound over our 2008 rig which is good and with that extra width it's not only stable but very easy to work on.
We're a week and a half away from it's first comp with the MNRCRC we'll see how it does.
I think you and the team did a great job designing this chassis.

Here's a few shots my paint Mike at Crawler Graphics coached me on the carbon fiber effect and chrome paint it didn't come out perfect but it has a nice look to it. I like the XC-1 Axial body I carved it up quite a bit bit it worked out perfectly for this build.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #70
Colt Python/SR9c

Nice paint and truck looks good
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:31 PM   #71
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The body looks great, very nice work and super clean build.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
Nice paint and truck looks good
Thanks Jeremy it works really nice very smooth and stable I think I got a good set up but we'll see soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
The body looks great, very nice work and super clean build.
Hey thanks Nova are you still rolling on those TLT's?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #73
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey thanks Nova are you still rolling on those TLT's?
Yes, my son and I are still rockin' GC2's w/ TLT's. However I think the days of TLT axles being used for comp rigs are numbered. The most weight I can effectively run in the front of TLT is 13 ounce (bead lock + tire + foam + lead weight). If I run any more than that, the CVD fails within 5 battery packs or so. Also the new taller tires and soft compounds are hard on them to. I have had zero issues with the RCP ring and pinions but the CVD's don't hold up and the RCP / RC4WD stainless steel straight axles tend to bend or clown if they take a fall or two.

I will some day only have TLT's in scalers. It's inevitable. The TLT is 1980's technology and with the MOA's and the new Losi coming, I will soon own something that is not a Tamiya product.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Yes, my son and I are still rockin' GC2's w/ TLT's. However I think the days of TLT axles being used for comp rigs are numbered. The most weight I can effectively run in the front of TLT is 13 ounce (bead lock + tire + foam + lead weight). If I run any more than that, the CVD fails within 5 battery packs or so. Also the new taller tires and soft compounds are hard on them to. I have had zero issues with the RCP ring and pinions but the CVD's don't hold up and the RCP / RC4WD stainless steel straight axles tend to bend or clown if they take a fall or two.

I will some day only have TLT's in scalers. It's inevitable. The TLT is 1980's technology and with the MOA's and the new Losi coming, I will soon own something that is not a Tamiya product.
I've been looking around to. I did find a good dry lubricant that really helps the CVDs it's called "Militec" it's used by our soldiers and doesn't pick up dust and dirt goes on wet and penetrates deep and then dries check it out on line.

I like the new Losi but I'm also going to watching the 1.9 class this year as well. Everyone sure seems to be pretty happy with their MOAs trucks lots of good choices.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #75
RCC Addict

That turned out great, let us know how it did on it's first comp
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:23 AM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Hey Rock thanks for your support.
We'll have tire testing this weekend on the rocks at Taylors Falls just a great spot to crawl.
So far the truck has been exceptional with lots of predictable stable articulation and so very smooth.
The DNA dig and shifting servo have enough room in the chassis to get a perfect alignment on the shaft and shifts like butter.
We also lost about a half pound over our 2008 rig which is good and with that extra width it's not only stable but very easy to work on.
We're a week and a half away from it's first comp with the MNRCRC we'll see how it does.
I think you and the team did a great job designing this chassis.

Here's a few shots my paint Mike at Crawler Graphics coached me on the carbon fiber effect and chrome paint it didn't come out perfect but it has a nice look to it. I like the XC-1 Axial body I carved it up quite a bit bit it worked out perfectly for this build.

your truck is shiny and your bench is clean. you're not a real rockcrawler. haha, good lookin rig stormin, that body is sexy.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusik333 View Post
That turned out great, let us know how it did on it's first comp
Thanks prusik I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
your truck is shiny and your bench is clean. you're not a real rockcrawler. haha, good lookin rig stormin, that body is sexy.
Hey dieselfuel, you just exposed my masquerade thanks buddy hope to catch you next time your threw Minneasota.

Last edited by Stormin2u; 04-15-2009 at 07:12 PM.