Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how to put a losi tranny in your tlt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #1

Default how to put a losi tranny in your tlt

this is my first thread here, ive been lurking for awhile and thought i should start to contribute. I had a couple of the older losi xx transmissions laying around and wanted to use them for my tlt. heres what i used.
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA3095
and
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA3096
and
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...rodID=LOSA3013
these were used on the tranny and most were found at the lhs in the 75% off box
for the tlt axles i used
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0001P?&I=LXJJ77
and
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJ82&P=X
the losi sliders fit perfect in the traxxas pieces.
ill try to get pics up when i can. hope this helps someone out that is looking for an alternative to the pede tranny. Here are some pics

Last edited by lostwages; 09-27-2005 at 03:52 PM.
lostwages is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #2

cool, cant wait for pics...
Rockwag91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Wanna hear the downside to using losi + pede sliders? You can only 11.5" of wheelbase, or there abouts. You are definately going to want to make some extended shafts for the axle bit, or convert the tranny to pede sliders (maybe they can bolt into the pins provided? I do know the losi tranny can reach a more extreme driveshaft angle before binding up though. So you could in theory grab some more ground clearance, and because the tranny is half the weight of the pede tranny, CG would still be fine.

I'm putting a chassis together right now that will have holes for both the pede and losi tranny, I just need to bomb proof the losi tranny, but I want to drive it in the meanwhile.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:12 PM   #4

Plays With Toys, what are you planing to do to bomb proof the tranny? I am running a losi tranny and would like some extra stregnth.
DremelDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I put a losi trans in mine too. The trans already had been converted and then i just lengthened some pede sliders and got the bulletproof yokes.wallah
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:47 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I don't exactly know. I know that I need to lock the ball diff, and I wanted to see if there was a way to convert the spur to a bolt in spur, instead of the slipper clutch.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Well, I know it's not a Losi but I use an AE stealth trans. It still has the slipper but I just removed the spring & put a little spacer in where the spring was & locked it down. I'd bet this would also work on the Losi. There is no slippage what so ever.

As for bullet proofing, see if someone makes a steel input gear, idler gear, & diff gear. IDK about the Losi, but it's available for the stealth
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety
I put a losi trans in mine too. The trans already had been converted and then i just lengthened some pede sliders and got the bulletproof yokes.wallah

Are you sure that Losi tranny was converted? The JRX2's and JRXT's trannies came with sliders, not exactly the same size as the Traxxas 'Pede sliders but very close. The old Losi trannies are not that tough... There are about 6 gears inside that small housing. They are 48 pitch and made of a fairly soft plastic. Back in the day when I used to race my JRX2, I used to melt a few of the internal gears, first few times it was due to a loose ball diff which caused a lot of heat. Another time was just from a nice hard landing and it stripped the gears. I still have spares in my Losi pit box.

Just thought I'd let you know since you seem to be some-what mis-lead about that tranny if you bought it second hand. It looks just like my JRX2 tranny....

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I prefer a losi over a pede due to the size diffrence. A losi with the case hardened outdrives is difficult to lock up but not impossible. I took the handy dandy dremel with a cutting wheel and scuffed the inside and outside of the drive hubs where the diff washers sit and also the diff washers themselves then used a carbide drill bit and drilled through both outdrive halves and also the diff rings themselves. I will admit with all this done on my milling machine I still went through 2 carbide bits. The outdrives were reassembled the holes lined up and a split pin was driven through the whole assembly. I ran it for 3 months like that with no problems whatsoever, dirt dog 5 from ct bought it and ran it another 3 to 4 months and now wrx who is a member here has it and still no problems. I dont remember the gear ratio but with a 55 turn lathe motor it had tons of torque. To me it did lack a bit of wheel speed but there were other concerns when I was running it. I also used revo shafts. Very overkill but also bomb proof. They have also survived the previous owners of the truck and the tranny also held up to the revos.
On the G2 prototype I am trying something diffrent with the losi as far as locking the diff. Same situation case hardened outdrive hubs but this time I cut notches on both hubs and also the diff rings. The I used medium ca glue on the assembly before it was tightened back down. This was followed by thin ca and a shot of accelerator. It may seem like a halfast attempt to lock it but it is much quicker than drilling and pinning the diffs. It will be running by sunday and given the thurough torture test as the first one was.
Attached Images

aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:53 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Are you sure that Losi tranny was converted? The JRX2's and JRXT's trannies came with sliders, not exactly the same size as the Traxxas 'Pede sliders but very close. The old Losi trannies are not that tough... There are about 6 gears inside that small housing. They are 48 pitch and made of a fairly soft plastic. Back in the day when I used to race my JRX2, I used to melt a few of the internal gears, first few times it was due to a loose ball diff which caused a lot of heat. Another time was just from a nice hard landing and it stripped the gears. I still have spares in my Losi pit box.

Just thought I'd let you know since you seem to be some-what mis-lead about that tranny if you bought it second hand. It looks just like my JRX2 tranny....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...tid=2870&stc=1

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...tid=2871&stc=1

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...tid=2872&stc=1

my tranny looks just like the one in the right of your pics? I took it apart and i seem to remember 2 shafts, the one the spur is on a nd a idler i think. it looked beefy to me
CaptainSafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 02:59 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainSafety
my tranny looks just like the one in the right of your pics? I took it apart and i seem to remember 2 shafts, the one the spur is on a nd a idler i think. it looked beefy to me

Good luck. You won't be able to find replacement parts for that tranny unless you snag up some old JRX2, JRXT, JRX-Pro, Junior-2, Junior-T kits/parts buckets off of eBay. The Junior-2 & Junior-T kits came with molded chassis while the X2, XT and Pro came with graphite chassis.

The trannies are strong enough for what they were made for... remember that these trannies debuted back in '88/'89 in the JRX2....

The transmisson will not last to hard abuse. Just keep an eye on where the outdrives bolt into the lower gear(s).... those are prone to early breakage. Most of the weakness of the tranny is becasue of the plastic used for the gears. Fairly soft compared to what is made today. Just remember that those trannies were high-tech back in '88/'89..... and that makes them older than many of the kids on RCC now!
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote