Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Comp TLT :mrgreen:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Talking My Comp TLT :mrgreen:

Well, I decided to redo my truck AGAIN. Seeing this new RBX chassis and also seeing vids of Badgers TLT got me scared and made me start thinking. I decided to make a full out comp TLT. First thing I did to my old TLT was ditch the Pede tranny. It was too bulky for my taste so I chose to go with two 280 size motors with 51:1 planetary gear reductions on them. I don't think they will ever have the torque of the pede tranny and lathe motors but they will have enough. These pics are of my truck in it's current condition.

As you can see in the pics my COG will be lower than my previous setup which was a layed down pede tranny. The best thing is both motors together weigh less than the pede tranny and lathe motor. Next thing I need to do is get some faster motors. These ones turn the output shaft on the gear reductions at about 55 rpms which is definitely too slow.
In order to run in the 2.2 class you need 2.2 wheels right? So I switched out my Maxx Mashers for 2.2 Moabs on narrowed HPI wheels. Since I also needed a shorter wheelbase I'm going to shorten the front 1 inch. That will give me a 60/40 setup and also put my wheelbase at 12.5 inches. Tommarrow I should have pics of the new chassis plates and also the motor mounts.
TylerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

God dam it! I was going to do this with 2 gd 600s on my TLT. ****. Great minds think alike.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

. I figured I'd better get it out in the open before some else post pics of something similar.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Make sure the planetary's can spin both directions. I could have sworn some are one direction only. You might have to make your own motors to get the torque/speed that you crave, but it is supposed to be easier to make the small ones, compared to the big ones. Are the gears inside the planetary's plastic or metal? And did you buy them through that robot site? How are you going to hard mount the motors? Some 1" aluminum L bracket?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkd
. I figured I'd better get it out in the open before some else post pics of something similar.
You should have waited a few more months. Is it going to be done on time for folsom?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Make sure the planetary's can spin both directions. I could have sworn some are one direction only. Are the gears inside the planetary's plastic or metal? And did you buy them through that robot site? How are you going to hard mount the motors? Some 1" aluminum L bracket?
I've already checked and the planetary's can spin both diretions. Some of the gears inside the planetary's are metal and some are plastic. I figure if they can hold up to battle bots they can hold up to some crawling.
I'm ordering some motors off of one18th.com tonight. They have way more torque than the current 280 motors and about 5 times the speed. They should work good. And yes I am mounting them with 1" aluminum L brackets.

Mike, hopefully it will be ready in time for folsom. If not I will have to go back to the other setup.

I got the chassis plates tonight. I'll get some pics up soon.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Here's my new chassis. 4" of center clearence . Click on the pics if you want them bigger.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:16 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

F*ckin sweet, I hope it works for ya
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

you look a little limb here........
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #10
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Here's my new chassis. 4" of center clearence .
You'll probably end up dropping the ride height down a little cause at 4" center clearance my rigs CG is over 1 full inch lower. It really depends on your wheel base though. Looking forward to crawling with it!
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I wonder how this will work out? It seems like you would have torque twist and axle stall. Kinda seems like the worst of both worlds.
thefordmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:20 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordmccord
I wonder how this will work out? It seems like you would have torque twist and axle stall. Kinda seems like the worst of both worlds.
...but this also adds the ability to do BURNS
Keep us posted on how she runs
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
You'll probably end up dropping the ride height down a little cause at 4" center clearance my rigs CG is over 1 full inch lower. It really depends on your wheel base though. Looking forward to crawling with it!

I will probably drop it a little bit but right now about half of the motors sit above the tire. Also with it being lighter it should work ok. Badger, your rig is the reason I followed through with this idea.

Anyway, I ordered my motors this morning so they should be here Friday or Saturday. I also sent the plates back today to get more holes drilled for the link mounts.
Old 09-28-2005, 11:50 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordmccord

From what I've read axle stall can be a good thing depending on the situation. Like say if you were climbing up a really pourus rock, (which we have alot of at Folsom Lake) instead of the truck flipping over because of all the traction on the rear, the front end would pull you up. Of course, this theory doesn't apply to all situations,
Old 09-28-2005, 11:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
From what I've read axle stall can be a good thing depending on the situation. Like say if you were climbing up a really pourus rock, (which we have alot of at Folsom Lake) instead of the truck flipping over because of all the traction on the rear, the front end would pull you up. Of course, this theory doesn't apply to all situations,
I agree, I know that I like the stall on my clod sometimes, but I am just wondering if the stall combined with the twist will affect things. I guess we will see. It's looking good BTW.
thefordmccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:47 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Today I was able to finish up my links by sleeving them with carbon arrow shafts. Turned out pretty good I think.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Hey this looks familiar. I've tried this setup a while back when I bought a tlt roller from Kaetwo.

At 7.2V it was dog *** slow. Probably 200 rpms if I remember correctly. It did have lots of torque though. I found out the motors were 12V so it wasn't as powerful as it probably could have been but I wasn't about to run that much battery in a tlt crawler. It had motor stall AND the dreaded torque steer . I ended up ditching this setup for a pede tranny.

Hope yours works out better for you. Maybe I'll go back to it if yours works out.
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:08 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

The motors that I have right now are rated at 12 volts and it only turns the output shaft on the planetary's at about one revolution per second, which is EXTREMELY slow. It looks like your running two 540 motors, hopefully the two 280 motors won't have much effect on torque steer. If it doesn't turn out right, I'll try a AE stealth tranny setup.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:35 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

The motors I had were shorter and thinner than a lathe. Not sure what size but they are not 540.

Hey if it doesn't work out you could always convert them into a couple winches
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:54 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I could convert them into winches. Of course, I would only use them to suck up the front and rear giving me more climbing stability.