Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: G2 Tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2005, 05:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default G2 Tuber

Managed to get the frame coated and the axles mounted and get a few shots of the new frame just before the sunset A few change smade a big diffrence. The main cage area is larger for easier electronics mounting. The shocks used are stock tlt which are more angled than the original which means better articulation. Will still accept losi or pede tranny. The panels will be cut tomorrow, powder coated and the final setup done.
Attached Images

aubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 06:10 PM   #2

another nice looking tuber!!!!

zack
wanabgts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Looks great.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #4

Looks great can't wait to get mine!
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

pretty sweet rig.... i would go with pede or losi shocks tho.... alot more options for springs and stuff..

but overall DAMN GOOD LOOKIN

I wouldnt use the foams in the moabs... the work WONDERS with out the foams..

AHHHHHHHHHHHH that is not what i think it is..... NOOOO ITS A NON SLEEVED STOCK STEERING LINK THAT BELOW THE KNUCKLES!!!! SLEVE THAT NOW (with 3/16's brake line) AND GET IT ABOVE THE FREAKIN KNUCKLES B ITCH !!! OR ELSE YOURE CRAWLER WILL DIE!!!!!

Sry its my fettish

Last edited by nd4spdbh; 09-30-2005 at 10:25 PM.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXcrawler
Looks great can't wait to get mine!
sorry.. but I can resist to ask... where to get this tuber chassis?? Can I use the PTI Goliath axle on it??

thanks
Speed Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 01:18 AM   #7

Aubie makes them here is his thread in the vendor section http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13083
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd4spdbh

AHHHHHHHHHHHH that is not what i think it is..... NOOOO ITS A NON SLEEVED STOCK STEERING LINK THAT BELOW THE KNUCKLES!!!! SLEVE THAT NOW (with 3/16's brake line) AND GET IT ABOVE THE FREAKIN KNUCKLES B ITCH !!! OR ELSE YOURE CRAWLER WILL DIE!!!!!

Sry its my fettish

It was funny at first... now its just annoying... :neutral:

Anyway, good looking rig. Too bad the TLT shocks are such junk, they'd look real good on that truck either in silver or red with silver.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The softest 4 inch shock spring i could find was an associated silver. The suspension was tested with those, static test and the overall movement and articulation was better than the original but still not what I was looking for. Associated with silver springs gave 3 1/2 ' travel. the stock tlt shocks give 7" of travel. The frame is only 15" long , 5" high and 5" wide and it is considerably lite. The frame as pictured is a little over 1 1/2 lbs so I dont forsee any problems with the tlt shocks. Im also ditching the custom built 7200 mill pack and usuing a mini t pack the 7200 was fawkin awsome for EXTREMELY long run times and being able to run 6v to the hitech 645 mg servos but it and the voltage reducer and wiring harness weighed a bit more than a standard 6 cell pack. One other change the frame is set up with a 55-45 weight split. A good day of bashing tomorrow will tell. The only thing I dont like about the frame , nothing performance wise, is the powder coat color. I used a metallic silver as a base coat and then went with a metallic orange top coat. It looks deep as hades but its too dark to me. Oh well ****e happens.

Almost forgot the other issue addressed was the frame being tippy so I went to the extreme on the widners, a total gain of roughly 1 7/8 " which pushes the width to 11 1/2". Hopefully the stub shafts and outer hubs will stand up to it.
RX your welcome, as is any one else, to drive it as much as you want at GR. Looking forward to hanging out with everyone again.

Last edited by aubie; 10-01-2005 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:20 PM   #10

very impressive, looks great and thanks for some good ideas of my own
hallnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Just made the first test run with the new chassis and I am very fawkin happy with the performance. No axel float at all, couldnt ask for anything better. Articulation is better than I expected. The new widners are holding up great and there have been no signs of problems with the stub shafts and hubs. Going to try and get some video tomorrow afternoon.

Hallnaz if you "borrow" any of my ideas or designs I will send cousin guido and uncle Sal to pay you a visit. The lasy guy that did walks with a permenant limp now. J/K Glad you like the frame and welcome to the board. If I can help in any way just let me know.
Old 10-03-2005, 02:10 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks *****in man! Someone at Green River is going to go home a very happy person . I'm looking forward to seeing how it does
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 05:31 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

It looks alot better in the pics after today I have been running the tar out of it all day and it has a few scrapes and scuffs now. If something was going to give I wanted it to be now instead of this weekend. But everything is better than I expected performance wise. More than happy to donate one for the GR comp.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Nice looking tuber - hope to get mine setup someday soon. Have to get moved into the new shop still before I can get cracking on it.

A+ on the tuber.

Later,
Ed
NitroRC Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 07:42 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Made all the test with it, basically bashed the tar out of it for a few days so it was time for a new pc and and getting everything tidy for the GR comp.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2005, 11:47 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

that is friggin sweet man........ do you braze? or Mig or what?

Cheers
JL
johnathanlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I braze everything and try to keep everything within 1/32 of an inch squarewhen building it.

The G2 did pretty good at GR. I had to take a repair penalty to add weight to the front and was just a bit shy on what was actually needed. At the end of the compe I was playing around with it and it took a good 10 or 12 tumble down a hill and came out with everything intack. Flipped it back over on its wheels and it was going again. There are already 5 preorders on the G2 for the discounted price of $250. There are 5 more spots open to get one at this price.
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried using tamiya touring car shocks??? They have a bunch of different spring options. Longer isnt always better...Its all in the way you mount them... Anyway you build great lookin crawlers...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 06:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Started making a change to the G2 over the weekend. Decided to lay the losi down to lower the cg. This dropped the motor 1 3/4 inches and only widened the bottom plate by 5/16. This shifts the driveshafts to the side of the chassis but I dont forsee any problems. This also eliminates the need for an aluminum tranny mount. The tranny will bolt to the bottom plate now. Hope to finish it up in a week or two.
I locked the losi Diff with ca glue and havent had any problems whatso ever out of it. With all the abuse that it has been through everything is holding up fine. I am sold on the losi tranny for good.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

aloha aubie looking good can't wait for mine !! on that losi trans which unit is that i might decide to go that route instead of the t4 tranny (which i broke at our first comp here in the islands) also are tlt shocks good ? i know there soft but can they hold up to the abuse? cool but can't wait seeing these pics even makes me more excited
kaaina is offline   Reply With Quote