Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Has any body seen traxxas yokes do this?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Exclamation Has any body seen traxxas yokes do this?!

egdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Happens often. Time to swap in the SS 'Pede yokes.

I used to snap old Maxx and 2.5 Maxx yokes like that often back in the days of running my old Juggy and X-Factor crawlers.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

yup, quit using those set screws and use the through the shaft screws. Older pedes didnt have this but a drill can fix it. Or as toyo says swap out the parts. Also if you insist on running the nylon parts boil the buggers to harden them some.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:39 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

By boiling them, you are hardening them? Won't doing that also make them more brittle? Plastic has some flex to it, which gives it resistance to breaking. If it has no where to bend, it will just snap completely. Unless I am missing something?
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

What surprised is not that it broke, but where. I don't see how using the through pin would have helped. They broke roughly perpendicualr to the set screws, you can see them in the photo, as blackish/silver dots.

And I thought for sure they would have broken at the ears, seeing as I hit one of them with a hacksaw.
egdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:51 PM   #6

I've had pede yolks split like that but only one or two. My theory was always that the yolks were getting old and brittle at the time because they were fairly old at the time they split. If you've got a spare yolk to strap in there I'd suggest easing up on your slipper clutch a little for the next run.
Froshmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 12:20 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I had that happen to me once. I switched over to the metal outputs and havent had a problem since. I believe that the reason mine broke was because the driveline angle was way too steep, so it just bound up and broke from a slight reverse to forward manuever.
OIT_TLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

will the metal yokes fit with out modification?? i am using maxx 2.5 sliders.. do they make metal for the maxx size? thanks
chaos18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 03:00 PM   #9

Maxx yolks and Pede yolks are different sizes. The Maxx ones are bigger, so you wouldn't need metal yolks, I wouldn't think...
Jrdrag3991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 02:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
By boiling them, you are hardening them? Won't doing that also make them more brittle? Plastic has some flex to it, which gives it resistance to breaking. If it has no where to bend, it will just snap completely. Unless I am missing something?
its a complete total myth that boiling nylon parts makes them stronger...

it actually makes it more flexible since it raises the water content of the nylon. doesnt make it any stronger, although it would appear to be the case since it gives the nylon alot more room to give under stress before breaking.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 03:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

how about "more resilant" ;p
I just found when dyeing parts those parts last longer than un boiled parts. From what i know of this heating the parts does the same thing. Either way the bioled nylon yokes havent broken yet. The unboiled ones did after the second run.

The metal pede yokes if on the axle side need to be milled or ground to fot. you need to remove the flange on the backside for them to slide deep enough onto the pinion.
Madkoifish is offline   Reply With Quote