RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya TLT Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/)
-   -   TLT Rockbuster, TLT Max Climber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/16800-tlt-rockbuster-tlt-max-climber.html)

johnathanlopez 10-04-2005 02:00 PM

TLT Rockbuster, TLT Max Climber

Is there a difference? If so what is it? Or just another name and body? Thanks guys! :)

Cheers`

JL

offroadford4x4 10-04-2005 02:11 PM

The biggest differance I know of besides the wheels and body is the RockBuster requires a special size battery to fit the chassis and MaxClimber uses a standard stick pack

BENDER 10-04-2005 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Actually the biggest difference is the inner axles are beefier on the Maxclimber, they have more meat around the dogbone end. Buy the Rockbuster kit and order some spare Maxclimber inner axle shafts.

ILoveRCRockCrawlin 10-04-2005 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENDER
Actually the biggest difference is the inner axles are beefier on the Maxclimber, they have more meat around the dogbone end. Buy the Rockbuster kit and order some spare Maxclimber inner axle shafts.

doesnt that also limit the steering?

PinchFlat 10-04-2005 02:23 PM

Yeah I agree... but you will get less turning radius with the max climber axels because of the thicker neck of the dog bone, probably not noticeable though. But if TTR would make CVDs for the TLT... this really won't matter either way....

TTR PLEASE MAKE CVDS FOR THE TLT-1... THE STEERING SUCKS ON THESE JUST LIKE THE CLOD AXELS.

BENDER 10-04-2005 02:24 PM

I ground my outer axle cups back about .100 (just under an 1/8"), I have more steering now then a stock Rockbuster.

badhoopty 10-04-2005 02:31 PM

the last tlt rockbuster kit i bought just a few weeks ago from ultimate hobbies had the newer stuff.

so tamiya must have updated thier tlt kits with the thicker shafts and 'shaved' axle cups.

if you decide to run the thicker axle shafts with the 'old' rockbuster axle cups you need to dremel the cup back flush to the plastic on the upright, or you run the risk of busting the axle cup. (i had this happen...)

BENDER 10-04-2005 02:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
That happened to me too badhoopty.

Here's a couple more pics of the front and rear, it may be hard to see how much I ground off.

badhoopty 10-04-2005 02:43 PM

i just put the tip of a magic marker on the axle cup where it meets the upright, gave it a spin, and then dremeled that off. ;-)

johnathanlopez 10-04-2005 02:46 PM

which would be a better one to buy? the max climber or the rock buster? I wanna set it up for all out rock crawling!!!

bugman72 10-04-2005 02:50 PM

I'd suggest getting the Rock Buster. It's considerably cheaper than the Maxclimber and the Maxclimber doesn't have anything to justify the large gap in price, IMHO.

offroadford4x4 10-04-2005 06:19 PM

Especialy if you will be building a mostly custom truck there is no need to spend the extra $$$ on the maxclimber kit. Most people just use the axles and some odds and ends things add their own chassis with pede transmisions and custom links and drive shafts for serious crawlers leaving most of the kit left over after completion.

Personaly I'd rather get the cheeper kit and spend the rest of the money that could be spent on the maxclimber on upgrading to better than stock part and other things to make it a better over all crawler.

rckjeep 10-04-2005 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BENDER

The outer stub axles are different as well. The Max uses a black chrome color to distinguish the two. But the main difference is the max cup is shorter by 2mm. (I think thats the #)

Rooney7783 10-04-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnathanlopez
which would be a better one to buy? the max climber or the rock buster? I wanna set it up for all out rock crawling!!!

So does this mean you decided not to go with the Goliath for a build up?

johnathanlopez 10-04-2005 09:05 PM

I dunno yet man, depends on what yours looks like when we start it. I like the Goliath and i can get it for about the same price as the TLT. I just dont know... i wish i could see the 2 of them upclose. Ill take a look at yours and see whats up with it. Has anyone done any rockcrawling mods to a Goliath? Maybe i should be the first. I havent decided yet. AHHHHHHHHHHH I DUNNNNOOOOOOOO :? :twisted: :evil: :? :? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooney7783
So does this mean you decided not to go with the Goliath for a build up?

murdock 05-29-2006 06:11 PM

i just got a rockbuster from ultimatehobbies and it had the maxclimber shafts also...
but just for asking you should buy a maxclimber. :flipoff:

Sync 06-01-2006 11:17 AM

Differential shafts in the new TLT kits.

so, i finally broke one of my differential shafts at the dog-bone (it was bound to happen :-P ). so i started checking around for a replacement set of shafts and the cheapest i could find is around $8.00. instead of replacing the kit parts one-by-one (i know i would break another shaft or need to replace the diff housings, etc..), i decided to just buy a whole new kit (only $80.00). (this also gave me lots of extra hardware as well).

what i found in the new kit was that the differential shafts are the beafier shafts from the max climber kit. also in the new kit, to compensate for the thicker shafts, are new out drive shafts that are shorter on the dog-bone end. this allows for the same amount (maybe more) turning without grinding the out drive shaft on the diff shaft near the dog-bone. bonus !!

so i am going to take apart both diffs and replace the shafts, and, while i am at it, i am going to replace the bushings with bearings. hopefully, i wont have any more breaks (ya right :-P ).

anyway, the diff shafts in the new tlt kits has probably been talked about, but i thought i would mention it in case anyone wasnt aware:) ).

johnathanlopez 06-01-2006 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murdock
i just got a rockbuster from ultimatehobbies and it had the maxclimber shafts also...
but just for asking you should buy a maxclimber. :flipoff:

way to go guy... i think that you are ALITTLE LATE on this post. :roll:
you just got a rockbuster, and i built my rockbuster months ago. thanks though! :twisted:

BENDER 06-01-2006 01:09 PM

Once you go to the Max Climber shafts, and ball bearings, you shouldn't have anymore problems.

BENDER 06-01-2006 02:35 PM

Sync, I merged your thread on the differential shafts into this one. So, the shaft info is all in one thread. ;-)