Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Latest change to my TLT10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Latest change to my TLT10

The old tranny was bad, really bad. So bad that it wouldn't turn a full rotation without me having to force it. Also the CG was very high. So I decided to rework things.

I started looking on ebay for a pede tranny. When I didn't see one, I pirated my maxx crawler project for its tranny, GD600 and Multiplex 600.

I didn't want to cut the chassis at all, so I mounted the tranny so there was 1in of clearence between the skid and the bottom of the tranny. I used some aluminum sheet for mounts.

Then I realized that the CG was going to be extremly high. So I moved the saddle's under the tranny. They fit perfectly. The CG is extremly low, it can handle 40*'s without flipping.

The only downside to this setup is matinence. I'll have to remove the batts to access the tranny, and the skidplate for access to the batts. Also, the ratio is at 160:1, I'll change it to around 100:1. Theres no tire spin at all and the speed is around .5-1mph.

Heres the pics, it was driven into most of these, but with 2wd, it hurts the performence. I placed an order for the front driveshafts and diff today. Also, it needs a roll bar for the motor.

Any comments are appretiated
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Latest change to my TLT10

I like the ideas incorperated into you rig. The cog thing is an issue with these trucks more than the other rigs I bet. When I do a TLT tuber it will be low and light. The tires is going to be the heavy part.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 01:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Running BB's in the tires should help with the tippiness. The more weight on the axles is going to keep them planted.

The way to keep CG down the most would be to mount a tranny on its side with batteries underneath. That's the only thing I can think of to make it absolutely low.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Location: ROCK CRAWLIN AND RACING WHERE I WANT AND HOW I WANT!!!

I like the scale look of your crawler. I never saw one with a e-maxx tranny in it before.I'am trying to get idea's for a tlt I'am putting two crawlers together for my two boys. Thanks for some of the idea's.
RocJoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Running BB's in the tires should help with the tippiness. The more weight on the axles is going to keep them planted.

The way to keep CG down the most would be to mount a tranny on its side with batteries underneath. That's the only thing I can think of to make it absolutely low.
I knew about the bb's in tires but the tranny on it's side??? Hmm, I was looking at the cheap t_maxx I picked up for a hundo. that tranny is low and with the gasser tranny the moter location is your choise. I also am thinking using my own scaratch built with a varity of options there.
DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks

PWT-The tranny on its side wouldn't fit, my chassis is only 3in wide. If the CG was really bad (which its not), I'd try and fix it. But I'm happy with the way it is now, lower CG than before

I just installed all of the 4wd parts, works great, just needs more tire spin. I also made a protecter for the motor.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looks good, but my god what was Tamiya thinking when they designed the TLT with that chassis
CrawlinForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:19 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

hows that motor treatin you, i find its excelent in the bigger rigs
sambmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

The motor is great. Lots of torque. If I set the truck in front of a wall, the truck will keep going until it flips over.

I decided to order some 2.2 Mashers and RPM wheels. I'm going to use BB's in the tires. I'm thinking about 50 in each front tire and 25 in each rear tire. Is that too much? Any suggestions?
Old 09-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #10
TRD
Rock Stacker

what motir are yiu running?? i m using a race motor for my t4 23000 rpm way to much TRD
TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Its a Multiplex 600 sized motor for planes