Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BLT goin' single. Microgoat 4.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 09:22 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

two builds in two days on this thing is killin' me. i'm going to bed.

for what it's worth, the second version looks better. the skid's down to about 3/4 inch wide now, and i picked up another 1/4 inch GC. my brain hurts.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2005, 08:34 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Default more progress

the prototype has improved a bit, now has adjustable ride-height rocker positioning and a really slick skidplate mounting system. i like making one part do two jobs if at all possible.

it'll come apart again tonight so the plans can be started, and i'll talk to my CNC guy and get started on kit pricing.

plans will be around $15 depending on printing costs. the plates will be printed on self-stick material so you can drill the holes accurately. full assembly instructions will be included.

the real beauty of this design is its flexibility. although designed for the Pede tranny, it will take almost anything, and you can build it with a wider or narrower vee angle if you like. the final version will have a 1 inch wide skidplate (narrowed RPM Maxx skidplate).
Old 10-25-2005, 01:33 PM   #43
varcor.org

again, that looks awesome. definitely like the narrow V profile of the chassis. put me in line for one... well depending on the price of the chassis...
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 01:47 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

the chassis should be in line with other crawler chassis, somewhere in the $70 range, plus or minus.

when they'll be ready depends on how soon i can get the design finalized and get some CNC time. i want to put the hurry-up on it, but want to do it right, too.

the plans should be available soon. maybe in the next couple of weeks if you want to cut your own metal. a set of instructions and full parts list will be part of the package.

depends on how much spare time i can steal from my wife. i'm more excited about this chassis than anyone, so they'll be out as soon as i can possibly get them out.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:25 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Default that's all i can stands, i can't stands no more!

just tore it apart for the third time and measured the position of every stinkin' screw hole in the rig, drew it on the screen and sent it off to my CNC wizard, who will hopefully be able to make some sense of my mess. it could take a while to get the production model back. once that happens, i'll build it to make sure y'all get something that works.

then i'll order as many as i can afford and hope to god they sell.

in the lull between ordering and receiving, i'll work on writing the kit instructions and making the pattern look like something. if you saw it now you'd run away screaming. i know i almost did.

so my crawler is in pieces, and i haven't seen my wife in four days. i think it's time for a day off. it's raining anyway. see ya.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:11 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

apparently my lame attempt at CAD using MS Paint was enough to make my CNC guy toss his coookies, so i'll be doing some old-school drafting, with an actual pencil (remember those?) tonight. this will actually speed up the plans as well as the kits.

the manual still needs to be written, photos taken, etc. so it's still a ways off but getting closer. your patience will be rewarded!

progress shot:
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2005, 03:19 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

I'm in, I wanna try one, let me know when they are ready!
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 08:58 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

I'm in for a do it yourself with stickers plan. I just bought some material and a new cutting tool I can't wait to try it out.
mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

okay folks, the engineering drawings are done. like ridin' a bicycle. the next couple of weeks will see me back behind the keyboard writing the manual for this thing and waiting for the CNC prototype made from the drawings.

i'm trying to ensure a quality product here, so it'll take a little longer than if i just threw the blue battery-charger plates on my scanner and said "here, have at it. now where's my money."

see, after a couple of weeks, i'll have forgotten how it's supposed to go together. so it'll be like a new build. and if i can build it then, without instructions, then you can sure as hell build it with 'em.

speaking of the blue "limited edition" battery-charger side plates, all are spoken for EMaxximuss78 and Unimoger got in on the ground floor of this one, thanks guys. while i don't encourage their use in actual crawlers, they'll make great eBay fodder in five years. for an extra hundred bucks, i'll even autograph 'em.

guess i'd better stop posting and start writing. see ya.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:08 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Default DIY plans available Mid-November!

see post in the Vendors section for full details. i'll start writing the manual tonight, scan the engineering drawing and clean it up some, and get this thing ready for those of you who want to cut some metal.

don't worry about following every curve on the plan. there's only one curve that's important. the rest is up to you. as long as all the holes fit on the plate, it can be any shape you choose. if you want to make it shaped like a diamond, a football, a flaming loogie, or whatever, have at it. my design shape is blatantly unimaginative, but it's lightweight and the links don't hit the chassis.

more to come!
Old 10-27-2005, 11:44 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

All hail the Goat.
mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Default axle steer

so i'm building the rig yet again, triple-checking because i'm so anal-retentive and start playing with the suspension because frankly i'm getting a lil burned out. anyone want to bet that within a year i'll be institutionalized, babbling incoherently about RTI indices and drawing chassis designs on the walls with my own feces?

anyway, the new design has close to zero axle steer. check it: NOTE the shocks aren't attached, so this is not the "mandatory artic shot". this is just an illustration of how the link geometry works.
Attached Images

Last edited by microgoat; 10-28-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:22 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Talking

looks sweet, what are you figuring for WB ?
Old 10-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

it's sittin' right at the legal limit of 12.5
Old 10-28-2005, 04:54 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

schweeeet!
Old 10-28-2005, 05:44 PM   #56
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

zero axle steer is key for a front steer only rig. Me likey a lot!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

I like what I see! What scale do you figure this thing to be? What is the overall length, width, height? Thanks for the info...I might be interested in getting one (or the plans)
Stoovey2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 06:48 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

size is typical for a 2.2 build, approximately 1/10 scale. 12-1/2 inch wheelbase. width depends on the wheels and whether or not you use axle wideners. i'm using HPI wheels and Tobee Craft wideners (see our Vendors section for more choices made right here in the good old USA and not coincidentally support some RCC vendors while you're at it) and measures out at 10-3/4 sidewall to sidewall. overall length is 16-1/4 from tread to tread. longer if you put a long body on.

speaking of bodies, i'm planning on using side-mount body posts, threaded onto the studs that retain the canty links. this saves weight (by making one part serve two functions and cutting down on hardware) and keeps the CG down. since the side plates are angled, if you used vertically-mounted body posts you'd have some really ugly body-mounting problems, like porcupine posts.

just about any Maxx body will work. i really like the Pro-Line '72 Chevy, but it's gawdawful heavy. maybe a lightweight Parma '70s Bronco.

or since there's so much new-school tech in this thing, an HPI Cayenne Turbo

Last edited by microgoat; 10-29-2005 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #59
I wanna be Dave

sorry Badge,

i got a little carried away.

what i meant to say was "the skidplate's gonna be half an inch thick, ain't that some coolness?"
Old 10-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #60
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
sorry Badge,

i got a little carried away.

what i meant to say was "the skidplate's gonna be half an inch thick, ain't that some coolness?"
Half inch thick skid seems a little thin to me.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote