Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: bta on tlts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default bta on tlts?

is there a bta setup for sale for tlt axles? or you gotta just make your own? and if anyone has, maybe can you post pics of it?
rocksteadily is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

I don't believe there's an available bta kit for the TLT's... Once upon a time it seems as though I remember seeing something on RCP about a BTA kit for TLT axles, but I never saw a price or a part #...

I've seen a few people who have done BTA with TLT's, but never attempted it myself...

Somebody should chime in... but in the mean time, search a bit...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default bta steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksteadily View Post
is there a bta setup for sale for tlt axles? or you gotta just make your own? and if anyone has, maybe can you post pics of it?
I read an article in one of the mags (don't remember which one) but I made my own. Was really easy to do too.
The down side is, It wasn't a good set up for a compitition rig. It would work fantastic for a scale set up.

Sorry I don't have any pics. If you have any I can try and help ya out. Good Luck.

Happy Crawling
scrounge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I read an article in one of the mags (don't remember which one) but I made my own. Was really easy to do too.
The down side is, It wasn't a good set up for a compitition rig. It would work fantastic for a scale set up.

Sorry I don't have any pics. If you have any I can try and help ya out. Good Luck.

Happy Crawling
how do you mean it wasnt good for comping?
Old 04-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

What kind of chassis do you have....and link and shock setup....
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
What kind of chassis do you have....and link and shock setup....
i got a black jack chassis with mini lst shocks and bent lower links
Old 04-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I also would like to know about this. I have the same chassis and axles so it would be benefitial to have this work with my comp setup.
CRAZYACE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
I also would like to know about this. I have the same chassis and axles so it would be benefitial to have this work with my comp setup.
i havent done any comps yet, do you comp with yours and how does it perform?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Honestly I am still learning on the rocks near the beach. I haven't made it to the comps up north from me. With the setup I have and the rocks I am running now it works great. I have my setup with a 60/40 high clearance links but I am full droop and it performs well. My big flaw is the driveshaft on the VF dig. But with the steel internals it works much better now. I am thinking of going to a comp within a month or month and a half. Just have to free up some time from work. I will let you know how it does when I get it running with others.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZYACE63 View Post
Honestly I am still learning on the rocks near the beach. I haven't made it to the comps up north from me. With the setup I have and the rocks I am running now it works great. I have my setup with a 60/40 high clearance links but I am full droop and it performs well. My big flaw is the driveshaft on the VF dig. But with the steel internals it works much better now. I am thinking of going to a comp within a month or month and a half. Just have to free up some time from work. I will let you know how it does when I get it running with others.
yeah i havent even realy found time to play with m ine at all, theres a comp next sunday i might attend
Old 04-27-2009, 01:33 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
yeah i havent even realy found time to play with m ine at all, theres a comp next sunday i might attend

Try it out. I know that when I first got my rig on actual rocks and out of the living room I was hooked. Let us know how you did and pics if you get em. I like going to races and the lot since everyone there is into RC's. Not like being at work and everyone giving me crap about buying more parts.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:39 AM   #12
RCC Addict

im not gonna compete but im gonna play around, my trans is acting up so i have no dig right now, but in front of my place by the parkin lot there is a little area i pplay with it it seems alot better than the previous setup i had
Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Default bta steering

Quote:
how do you mean it wasnt good for comping?
The bta interfers with the shock placement, geometry, etc... It looked sweet as he**! But, for competing, the tlt is not a great candidate for a BTA setup. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it can NOT be done. It is a personal preference. Try it, You might like it.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I think unless your running say a PimpSlap torsion that a BTA setup on TLT"s probably isn't worth the trouble? IMO

The shock/lower link mounts make it really hard to do.

I think the easiest thing to do is run aluminum knuckles and use a spacer on top of the knuckle under the steering drag link to get it a little higher off the ground. You may have to run your servo horn facing up instead of down to get the most clearance possible.

I will say that I ran my stock TLT drag link for the longest time and never had any issues with it really.
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I have run this bta for some time, steering is limited for today's standards but when I originally made it, it was HOT.

chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Default bta--not bad

chevellian,
Not bad. One question. Does your drag link (bottom) ever get hung up on rocks?

When I made my own bta setup, I made a servo/battery plate and moved my servo to the left side as far as I could. It allowed me to run a small lipo battery on the right, therefore lowering my cg. I raised all my steering links so they were above the lower (control arm) links. Wish I had some pics to show:-( It looked sweet

The down side I ran into, was the "throw". I just didn't have as much throw with the bta as I did with the traditional front set up. Could have been just my design.

When I go to build my scaler with these TLT axles, I probably will try it again. To me, creating, fabricating, building is my zen. Trying something new that nobody else has.

Again good work on your build.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

No, the draglink was pretty much out of harms way, but steering throw was not so great.

I am the same as you on the building different stuff. This is a great hobby for the "tinkerer"
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I ran this setup on my first comp rig. It worked pretty well.

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

i have a bta setup that works pretty well on my scale-ish truck i will try to get pics, i also have my shocks mounted on the out board side of the axle
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Heres mine it allows for a battery up front too.
black widow rock racer
bent70 is offline   Reply With Quote