Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: BrandO's scale Jeep trail rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #61
PapaGriz Yo

BrandO,

There is no reason your steering wont work on the chassis. I did it on my 2.2 Clod and Ace did it on his 2.2 custom rig. Check out the pics of mine here:
Scale 2.2 Clod crawler

I used airplane steering arms to make a "steering box" on the side of the frame but Ace did his much like yours. Here is his, you can see the servo in the first picture.
Meet 2DS

Try doing a parallel arm 4 link with a panhard bar (tracking bar) in the front instead of a triangulated 4 link. Also, if the springs are too soft to hold it level when turning they may be too soft for driving, maybe try some stiffer springs.

The steering setup on my 2.2 Clod worked great and I wish I still had it.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 11-11-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #62
Rock Crawler

Mike and Griz those are some very nice rigs. I appreciate all the help and information from everyone. I guess there is countless ways to build a truck. You guys have given me a bunch of ideas for future builds. I guess there is really no wrong way to build a truck. Some just may work better than others.

For this rig I think I am going to go with the standard axle mounted servo. Since it still is my first rig I don't want to over do it. I plan on working on it this weekend between TV races and Football games. I will post up some pics on Sunday or Monday.

I already have my next rig sketched out on paper. The chassis will be pretty close to this one. But I am going to go with coil over shocks and that bellcrank steering. I plan to use a Losi transmission from a XXX-T and some front buggy shocks. And I will top it off with a HPI Bronco body. Anyone have any pics of a scale 70's Bronco chassis. Or I may look for a hard plastic body on Ebay. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. I have found the RC nich that I really enjoy. Now I need to find some rock piles. They are few and far between here in the suburbs of Charlotte NC.

Last edited by BrandO; 11-12-2005 at 08:46 AM.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #63
I wanna be Dave

gald to see you got so many pics to look at, your truck will turn out great, I can tell by your posts.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:14 AM   #64
Rock Crawler

I have been tinkering away at my little Jeep. I bailed on the supper scale look. I decided to use the axle mounted servo setup. And I dumped the coil springs. I will use the coilovers instead. I just wasn't getting the result I was looking for. In the end I still want to be able to run this thing. The direction I was going it was turning in to a shelf queen. It still has some work needed but it's getting there. Here are some more pics. I appologize in advance to the 56k people.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #65
Built, not bought

Thumbs up

Looking Good.keep Up The Pics.

62pyro
62PYRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:27 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

that thing IS SICK... it came out really good man nice job... one question do you have n e probs with the tires rubbing on the fenders when the axle articulates or does the tire fit nicely up in the fender?

AND WHERES THE FLEX POSE!!!
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:43 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

Because the shocks are standing up it doesn't get super flex like a comp crawler. If I laid the shocks down it would do better. But the goal of this rig is to get a scale look. As it sits now the tires tuck up under the fender flares. I do plan to do a little more trimming. I will get ya a flex shot and post it. Thanks for the positive remarks.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #68
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Well job man! That looks awsome! I don't think you will regret making it a better performer with the changes.

I wish I could do a sick as trail ride with you. 8-)
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 12:16 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Ok here are a couple artificial flex shots. Once it is done I will get some pics with actual rocks instead of paint cans.

Old 11-19-2005, 12:21 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Talking

Awesome, that thing is really looking good, the frame is amazing! very nice work , keep us posted with lots o' pics. I think this truck is going to surprise you how well it will do on the trail.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Seeing that just about makes me want to scrap my current x-factor axle'd project & go more scale. Here's a pic w/ how I trimmed my Rubi body. My wife was upset when I cut the flares! I like the comp cut & flatty look, but she hates it.

I'm looking forward to seeing your's w/ body painted.

EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 PM   #72
RCC Addict

well if you think about it it is still super scale but just in another way
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 05:14 AM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I think it's still plenty scale, and useable kinda-scale beats shelf-queen ultra-scale any day. Beautiful job. How are you planning to retain the battery?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 10:39 AM   #74
Rock Stacker

BrandO, my hats off to you. Lookin awsome man. Keep up the good work.
Deshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 01:17 PM   #75

thats awesome lookin.... makes me want a scale rig even more
Super Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:53 PM   #76
Rock Crawler

Great rig! Nice work making the lid fit like a glove. And articulation is overrated anyways
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #77
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandO
Because the shocks are standing up it doesn't get super flex like a comp crawler. If I laid the shocks down it would do better. But the goal of this rig is to get a scale look.
Nice job. You have a very scale amount of articulation and it still look great with the coilovers. I bet you will be very happy with the compromise between scale looks and performance.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:59 PM   #78
Rock Crawler

VERY nice job! The guys on here could keep you more than busy, should you decide to start making/selling them...

-WRM
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:50 AM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Brando, Nice work. How close is Raleigh to concord? I'll be there from the 8th to the 13th. Wouldn't mind hauling my rig out there from some crawling. LMK

evil, sorry but that thing is recockulous looking. Kongs are just retarded. IMO
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 12:56 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

Did you ruin the flares at all when you cut them off? are they painted? If not than can I buy them off you?
Jim511 is offline   Reply With Quote