Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Workin on Tamiya cc-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2005, 09:10 PM   #1

Default Workin on Tamiya cc-01

well i've wanted the cc-01 forever and i finally dropped the $190 to get one plus some for obligatory ball bearings. heres some progress pics of the rear 4 link. i haven't mounted the shocks yet cuz i'm looking for a clean way to mount them to the leading face of the axle not on the link.

more updates to come thursday when i finish it
fastmaxxcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i have always wanted a little cc-01 chassis... i think their pretty cool. You should rotate the rear axle up so you can get your drive shaft up and out of harms way.
nd4spdbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:54 AM   #3

i have to find rear links that are like 1/8" longer to do that. or if i find a mount that'll bring the top link mount farther forward i'll be able to rotate the axle more.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:19 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

you have turnbuckles. Just shorten the lowers, it looks like you have enough thread to do so.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:01 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Now those are some big pics! lol

Nice job, though fastmaxxcooper. The CC-01 is a wickedly fun vehichle. My only regrets with mine are:

-not getting one sooner
-buying mine for my GF and not for me!

Your 4 link job looks nice. I almost did the same to mine, but opted to just run it stock instead. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised with the amount of smooth articulation in stock form. Makes for a very capable scale rig.

On which note...........wheres your body? Finisher her up, let see some more pics!
bRIBEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
sim
Quarry Creeper

I always wondered about this. There are 4 suspension links but the universal joint shaft is fixed length, right? Wouldn't the shaft end up working as a fifth link and gum up the works?

I've seen pics of a similar setup on another cc and from those pics it also seems to work fine, but I just can't understand how it's not binding.
sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:25 AM   #7
RCC Addict

No, the drive shaft has some travel in it.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 02:07 PM   #8

oh geez the pics didn't look so blurry last night at 11.

the driveshaft is telescoping and has a little less than a half an inch of travel.

i'm gonna look and see if i have some turnbuckles that are like 1/8" longer cuz right now they are threaded in deep but i have to make them like a 1/8" longer to bring the driveshaft up and the rear wheels to the center of their wheel wells.

i have the toaureg body and its not painted yet. i have to get my paint booth set up and my crescendo hooked up to the compressor so i can paint. i'll have finished pics thursday night of the chassis and the body and some crawling pics friday. for now i have calculus and engish and drafting to tend to till then
Old 11-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Well now I really want one of these chassis especially since it looks like a great scale rig. My only problem is finding the cash for it. Good work so far, cant wait to see it finished.
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #10

yeah i had a hard time spending the cash but i had to have one soooo yeah. i had to have one
Old 11-09-2005, 02:03 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

They're definately worth every cent. I was unsure on this point untill I shelled out for one, but now my eyes have been opened.

CC-01 chassis are a great deal IMO.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #12

alright since it was raining i didn't get to do the waterpump and belts on my jetta, just my exhaust so here the pictures of the not finished but driveable rear suspension. i think having the shocks vertical is too stiff and not enough travel but i'll be messing with that tomorrow see if i can give em a bit of an angle for more travel. or i might be satisfied with what i have now.

more comments welcome.. i'll be painting the body tomorrow night and i'll have crawling pics on some rocks friday cuz i have a 3 day weekend wooooot!!1!one!!
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice work.

You may want to think about securing that upper link mount on the axle however. It looks likes it will be able to rotate which will lead to some funky play in your suspension.

A common fix for this is to set-up another "mount" on the screw to the right and continue the bolt all the way trhough both. Add a few more nuts, and your golden.

Here's a pic to explain:

(red=mount, blue=bolt, yellow=nuts)
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #14

oh man. cuz the rear end is so high the nose is dipping down. i gotta lift the front or drop the rear
Old 11-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Why not just put the rear shocks back to the stock mounting posistion? That would drop the arse back down to spec.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:55 PM   #16

well i'm not having a problem with any play in the suspension. it articulates as it should and holds it's place. no side to side movement cuz that top mount for the upper links is pretty solid cuz i have an extra long screw that i threaded right up to the screw that holds the two captured ball cups too. thats fine. but i gotta put captured ball cups on the shocks so i can angle them back to add articulation and soften it up a bit. also i still have to lengthen the upper a quarter inch or bring their mount forward with a 90 degree bend on that mount
Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #17

that extra mount with a long bolt and nuts sounds like a good idea to stiffen up the suspension if it starts to wear and get flimsy. it hasn't been subjected to abuse yet
Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 PM   #18

heres another set-up that i like but i don't want to run the shocks on the lower links
Old 11-09-2005, 08:52 PM   #19

oh geez i'm posting lots. but i'm gonna put collars on the front shocks (i had left them out). and maybe that'll bring the nose up a lil
Old 11-23-2005, 06:47 PM   #20

heres some new pics. sorry bout the foggy pics the camera was cold. and the kinda bland paint job. i haven't finished with the decals cuz i was in a rush to try it outside. n so far i like how it handles the rough. the tires don't have much traction tho

i'll get some better pics of it crawling this week