Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: TLT axle help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default TLT axle help

I finally got to work on my rig over this past holiday weekend, and got everything figured out and dialed in. Except for my front axle.

The problem is when I'm on the throttle. The front tires seem hesitant to turn. They'll turn and "stick", then contunue turning. When I take the wheels off, it seems to ease up a bit, but it's still there... The axle vibrates BAD, it's scary bad! Full throttle is just CRAZY!

I'm running an RCP R&P, MIP CVD's, Stainless Fat-Rock C's, R2J Knuckles, and full bearings. Right now, I'm using a (cherry) red grease, it's cheap, and probably doesn't work the best, but I thought it'd be better than nothing...

I took everything apart to see if I could find an obvious answer to my problem, and couldn't. The teeth on both the ring and the pinion look fine, the splines on the CVD's are fine, the part of the CVD that pivots is all together, tight, and working properly. I checked each bearing to make sure they still spin alright, and even replaced one. Another thing I noticed is that the hexes are tight (as they should be) on the CVD... no slipping hexes.

I thought my problem might be with the RCP R&P. Maybe it's not shimmed correctly? I'm running the same R&P in the rear with stock shafts and no shimming, and it's perfectly fine...

Does it sound as though I bent a CVD? I couldn't imagine that happening, as I haven't even ran a full pack through the truck since installing em

I also thought that the vibration could have something to do with my knuckle/axle c combination. Maybe my setup isn't completly straight with the servo centered... like my c's got worn and now my knuckles are sloppy... but again, my c's aren't too old either. The knuckles I had for a while (about 6 mo's), but I changed the hardware on em, and still had no luck...

I really want to crawl! Please help!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
-Greg
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
I finally got to work on my rig over this past holiday weekend, and got everything figured out and dialed in. Except for my front axle.

The problem is when I'm on the throttle. The front tires seem hesitant to turn. They'll turn and "stick", then contunue turning. When I take the wheels off, it seems to ease up a bit, but it's still there... The axle vibrates BAD, it's scary bad! Full throttle is just CRAZY!

I'm running an RCP R&P, MIP CVD's, Stainless Fat-Rock C's, R2J Knuckles, and full bearings. Right now, I'm using a (cherry) red grease, it's cheap, and probably doesn't work the best, but I thought it'd be better than nothing...

I took everything apart to see if I could find an obvious answer to my problem, and couldn't. The teeth on both the ring and the pinion look fine, the splines on the CVD's are fine, the part of the CVD that pivots is all together, tight, and working properly. I checked each bearing to make sure they still spin alright, and even replaced one. Another thing I noticed is that the hexes are tight (as they should be) on the CVD... no slipping hexes.

I thought my problem might be with the RCP R&P. Maybe it's not shimmed correctly? I'm running the same R&P in the rear with stock shafts and no shimming, and it's perfectly fine...

Does it sound as though I bent a CVD? I couldn't imagine that happening, as I haven't even ran a full pack through the truck since installing em

I also thought that the vibration could have something to do with my knuckle/axle c combination. Maybe my setup isn't completly straight with the servo centered... like my c's got worn and now my knuckles are sloppy... but again, my c's aren't too old either. The knuckles I had for a while (about 6 mo's), but I changed the hardware on em, and still had no luck...

I really want to crawl! Please help!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
-Greg

Greg did you check the splines on the axles going into the ring for metal shavings I have had the axle remove the splines inside the ring and then they will do some strange movements until completely stripped. Stainless axles make the problem even worse they can eat those alloy rings pretty easy.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin2u View Post
Greg did you check the splines on the axles going into the ring for metal shavings I have had the axle remove the splines inside the ring and then they will do some strange movements until completely stripped. Stainless axles make the problem even worse they can eat those alloy rings pretty easy.
No shavings inside the Ring gear (where the axles slpine in)...

Good thought though! I never woulda thought of it...
Old 07-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

have you tried installing the knuckles with bearings and slipping a straight shaft through the knuckle into the axle tube to make sure the knuckles are aligned with the axle tube and internals?

i have aluminum C's and when they get a little tweaked they can get out of alignment with the axle tube and thus out of alignment with the internal bearings,,,only happened once but it did,,,tweaked the C's back into alignment and all was good

if you have a high speed drill chuck the pinion in it and see what it looks like as it spins,,might be able to chuck the ring or the entire diff internal and do the same thing

just a thought

Last edited by rmdesignworks; 07-10-2009 at 08:56 PM.
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Try pulling the front off, set it on a bench and rig up some sort of a driveshaft to a drill and see what happens
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Might want to make sure you got the left and right knuckles on the correct side. I screwed this up once. Caused major binding.
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I'll check alignment of the c's with the axle tube and internals tomorrow after work (good idea btw)

I unfortunately don't have a high speed drill...

rhett: another good'n to check (I overlook simple things alot...)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

what does your front pinion angle look like?
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
RCC Addict

My front pinion isn't HORRIBLE (I don't go through yokes at least...), but since I can't bring myself to get clocked c's, it's not perfect...
Old 07-11-2009, 12:21 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
My front pinion isn't HORRIBLE (I don't go through yokes at least...), but since I can't bring myself to get clocked c's, it's not perfect...
I wouldn't bother with clocked c's---they are clocked "too" much IMO
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
I wouldn't bother with clocked c's
I just think they look bad... cause when you tilt the axle and get the knuckles how they should be, the steering servo just looks stupid, and the linkages don't look right...

personal preferance I know...

I figured it out! Not sure what it was, but whatever I did, it worked... I might have had the knuckles and c's on the wrong side... having them on the wrong side would have thrown off my alignment, so I imagine that's what was wrong...

Either way, I'm ready to crawl again

Thanks again to everyone who replied
Old 07-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Whatever I did, didn't work...

It's alot better though, but still there...

I couldn't help myself today though... I had to crawl!
Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Back off on your wheels nuts about 1/4 turn. If they are overtight it will cause some binding also.
mississippirocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippirocs View Post
Back off on your wheels nuts about 1/4 turn. If they are overtight it will cause some binding also.
Another good'n... I'm running CVD's though... with the metal hexes...

I'll give er a try though

thanks