Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project 21(aka midget builds a blackjack)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Project 21(aka midget builds a blackjack)

Well guys I'm back with my first ever actual comp crawler. I have Red Rover which crawls pretty good but I started acquiring parts that eventually led me to build a comp 2.2.

The truck gets its name from two meanings. Obviously the chassis being a Blackjack was my original idea, but as I thought about it more I realized that my 21st birthday is this summer (August 4th) and so I'm considering this my 21st birthday gift to myself.

Basically I have:

TLT Axles
Blackjack Chassis
Straight Axle Adapters
Stainless Steel C's
Aluminum Knuckles
RC4WD Aluminum Beadlocks
Team Losi Rock Claws
Mini LST Aluminum Threaded Shocks
Hitec HS645
Mamba Max ESC
R2 Transmission
Novak XXL Receiver
Integy 55T Rock Crawler Motor

And I think that's it. I'm taking my time and doing this one right because I have the works in terms of materials so I figure it deserves to be done properly.

Now the important part... the pics!

Here's what I started with.

Silver RC4WD Aluminum Rims with Blue Anodized Beadlocks

Simple TLT Axles

Futaba 2PL with Novak XXL

R2 Trans

Blackjack

Servo Mounts, Straight Axle Adapters, and C's

Day 1
Put the truck in a jig made by 2 pieces of angle iron and made my links. Here there are on the truck for the first time. As you can see I was originally going to try out droop but then decided against it.

Day 2
Began Powdercoating
Instead of paint I decided to powdercoat all of the chrome/silver pieces on my truck. I started with white. I did the rings, chassis rails, and links. Here are some pics.

Baking!

Out and cool

Links made official and mounted

Chassis rails done and installed

Day 3
Installed Straight Axle Adapters
Here is a pic of the new straight axle adapters installed.

Mounted the new shocks

Continued Powdercoating
Today I decided to get the rims done by powdercoating them black.

First one done and mounted

All four mounted!

Standard Flex Shot

So that's where it sits right now. Tomorrow I will finish the powdercoating and finish the axles. Then I've got driveshafts and electronics and it will be time to tear up the rocks! Let me know what you guys think.
midget_man1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I can see the new tendency is to mount the shocks very angulated. Yours are almost horizontal ! Once the common sense said that it was not good to have the shocks with a big angle because of torque twist, squat and the need to pretension the springs too much. Now it seems that the wind is changed. Let me know if the rig performs well and I will relocate my shocks in lower position.

bye
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think it needs an axial tranny. Honestly imo the R2 isnt great for anything really. You remeber how shitty my old comp rig did with it in there Im sure. If you do decide to go with an axial, I've got one here you can use until you get one. There only $40 (And I say $40 cuz you need a spur gear so back off you ****ing noobs), compact and great gearing. I've had no problems what so ever with mine, and I thing youd like that alot better, and besides you don't have to stand up the R2.

Give me a call later, If you want the wheelnuts tonight you can pick them up whenever, but I'll be home after 10. I can leave them with my mom or something and she can give them to you.
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #4

Well the truck is "done"(I say that because you can never actually be done with a truck lol) and here are some pics I just took. I had it out for my first ever comp 2.2 event and I ended up taking second place out of 6 very talented drivers.

only problem I had with it was the set screws for the driveshafts so that's why there's not a front one on in the body off pics!

Now I need to buy a new body and a lipo charger

Quote:
I can see the new tendency is to mount the shocks very angulated. Yours are almost horizontal ! Once the common sense said that it was not good to have the shocks with a big angle because of torque twist, squat and the need to pretension the springs too much. Now it seems that the wind is changed. Let me know if the rig performs well and I will relocate my shocks in lower position.

bye
Filippo
The truck handled great today. The shocks seem to work well like that with no binding, even at full articulation. I'll be throwing together some video in a bit.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

nice clean build, i love the colors! a small brushless motor will allow you to lay that trans down in the chassis.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
nice clean build, i love the colors! a small brushless motor will allow you to lay that trans down in the chassis.
X2

As for the R2, there is nothing wrong with it. What voltage are you running? That makes a big difference with the R2 due to the way it's geared. I have a R2D in my 2.2 scaler with hilift axles. I am using a 55 turn Axiom motor, 3S lipo, MM, CC BEC, and it has plenty of wheel speed and too much torque. It twists Maxx shafts almost every time due to the dig and steep drive line angles. I have owned many R2's in many different crawlers. If you grease them, keep them clean, and volt up when using them, they are great transmissions. The steel gears make them hard to break. I have never broken one. The Axial is a good transmission as well, but how you have it mounted, it's hurting you COG. Nice build none the less.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Very nice and congrats on second.

Post up your setup on www.sincityrcrc.com in the BlackJack Lab.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

powdercoating looks awesome... reminds me of my old bmx bike: black frame, white forks and bars...

the rig does look good, and I agree with what people are saying about the tranny situation, either go back to an R2, or lay that beast on it's side with a new motor...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:15 AM   #9

Well I guess I know that I've got to make some changes before the next comp. What sort of brushless motors do you guys reccomend? I also think I will be purchasing a dig setup so if we there's a place I can get both at for a reasonable price that will be an added bonus.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by midget_man1387 View Post
What sort of brushless motors do you guys reccomend?
Crawlmaster from JRH. It is available in two versions, 1000 kv or 850 kv.
Depending on the gear ratio you are using you will need higher voltage (a 3s LIPO) for having sufficient wheel speed. Mamba Max esc is recommended also because there are few esc which bear 12 Volt.

Bye
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by setecastronomy View Post
Crawlmaster from JRH. It is available in two versions, 1000 kv or 850 kv.
Depending on the gear ratio you are using you will need higher voltage (a 3s LIPO) for having sufficient wheel speed. Mamba Max esc is recommended also because there are few esc which bear 12 Volt.

Bye
Filippo

Well I have a 3s and 2s lipo, with a stock Axial trans and 87T pinion, so idk what that makes my ratio...
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks good, but your CG would be alot better if you flipped the trany around and layed it flat.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #13

@ midget_man1387,

a very nice looking ric - I love it

is it possible that you can explain me how exactly you have powdercoating all the parts ?

greetings
ecodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecodriver View Post
@ midget_man1387,

a very nice looking ric - I love it

is it possible that you can explain me how exactly you have powdercoating all the parts ?

greetings

glad you like it man! Powdercoating is very easy. Basically you have to heat up the parts in an oven to about 300 degrees. For this I used a small, old toaster oven. Once the parts are hot, you take them out and let them cool to around 100/150 degrees. Next, ground the part with the wire supplied on the powdercoating gun. Then you spray the powder from the gun, coating the part. Put the pieces back into the oven and back them for about 20 minutes. Viola! You're done.

Here's the gun I used:

We bought it from Sears a few years ago. Not sure where you would go about getting one in Germany but the process should be the same!
Old 08-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #15

Default Gtg

Thats a great lookin rig. Nice build I like the powder coating myself as well.
klown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Looks great!:grin:
Barrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:16 PM   #17

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I had been meaning to get a video up of this truck running! So yesterday I finally edited up some film of it running at a competition last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CD-OaC8P_0
Old 06-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

cool, ive still got my Ti blackjack sitting in the garage. the MLST shock setup kicks ass!
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselfuel View Post
cool, ive still got my Ti blackjack sitting in the garage. the MLST shock setup kicks ass!
yeah, I haven't been able to take P21 out yet this year but I'm planning on getting a new body soon and heading out for a few comps.

As far as the MLST shocks, they are amazing! I also weighted my tires down and that made a world of difference! You can see how well the Losi Claws grip on the rocks.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

nice truck, i really like the white powdercoating. gives it a very clean look
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote