Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: starting a project(newbish)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default starting a project(newbish)

I have been playing with RC's forever.Even built a few hokey crawlers from toy grade junk. I bought my first hobby grade buggy last year and got into it pretty quick. Well, last week I bought my first crawler(axial AX10). I now own the axial,a cliff climber and a tlt-1 roller. I got the TLT for 50 bucks on an aftermarket frame and 4 link suspension,motor blah blah,it basically needs a rec. and esc.

My plan is to slowly build a cool crawler out of the tlt. My problem is I don't know how to convert the axles to accept a regular shaft. Anyone have a link to where I can purchase these? or make them?.
Nylintbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

I use these: Sliders

and these: yokes

you have to remove the turned down portion of the yoke to fit on the tlt rears. You can make custom lengths by combining 2 male sliders and 1 female or vise-versa.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I think it's in one of the stickies, or at least it should be. All you do is take the stock TLT drive cup off and put a slightly modified Stampede yoke on. You can use either a plastic pede yoke or metal, metal being preferred. Also some say that the grub screws will hold but I always drill through the pinion. Look around and I'm sure you will find pics of how to do this.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I have two TLT rigs. Drill the pinion shaft.
  • Measure the dia of the Set Pin from the yoke you be using. Stampede yokes set pins are smaller then Max Shaft pins.
  • Be sure to center the hole - slide the yoke on, until it touches the E-clip (bearing retainer) to mark your hole.
  • Drill one size smaller then you measure - you can always go larger
You might need to go larger if you are off-center with the hole.

Or order these:
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=17&page=1

Stronger, and already have the hole.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. So already having the axial and the cliff climber, am I doing the right thing by using TLT axles for a pretty hardcore crawler? They seem to be pretty tough, but I'm newish to this RC crawling thing.
PS: I rock crawl 1:1 competitively, what are the main differences I'm gonna find? I noticed that the CG and antisquat is still and issue, but link geometry seems to be pretty lax as far as roll center,instant center, link separation etc.

Last edited by Nylintbucket; 08-27-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

There is nothing wrong with making your TLT into a comp rig, but for a noobish build the Axial may be easier since there are more aftermarket parts available for it.
Defender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
There is nothing wrong with making your TLT into a comp rig, but for a noobish build the Axial may be easier since there are more aftermarket parts available for it.
Well, the "noobish" thing is mostly my knowledge of band names, aftermarket support, terminology and voltage requirements/maximums. My ability to hook everything up correctly and fabrication skills are top notch. I build 1:1 crawlers and ornamental steel products so geometry and assembly/fab shouldn't be too big an issue
Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

OK. I was checking out a few rigs the other day and decided to go ahead and use the axial to build into a comp rig. I wanna use my tlt for a truggy scaler. Pics should follow in the next week or so.