Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "BUSH-IT" TLT project:pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default "BUSH-IT" TLT project:pics

Hey guys,been working on my TLT project for a while now,i have been through about 7 diffrent chassis designs,but i finally have one im happy with.

I wanted to keep the chassis low and also the profile of it low too but with a good amount of GC.Its got 3 1/5" long shocks up front via cut springs and limiting straps(coming soon) and coils in back.12 1/4" wheelbase,4link F/R with plastic square upper links very light wight and also gives the battery something flat to sit on.layed down rustler tranny with MM and 12T pinion,maxx shaft out back and a pajero drive shaft up front.

Masher 2ks narrowed HPI spoked rims.

Let me know what you think.

thanks bigred
Attached Images

bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I'm not realy digg'n the undampend springs, but that is deffenitly Low Profile for a chassie. Also like the square links. How are they for strength as frar as threading goes, will they hold up to some torture? and what kind of body and mounting does this look forward to?
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i think i see where you're going with this, use the shocks on the front to keep the chassis under control, let the rear end flop around to get traction.

it's either really gonna suck, or it's really gonna be great. hard to tell until you drive it, but i'm kinda leaning towards suck. i think torque roll is going to hurt you bad.

then again, i could be wrong. it's been known to happen.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolCrawler
I'm not realy digg'n the undampend springs, but that is deffenitly Low Profile for a chassie. Also like the square links. How are they for strength as frar as threading goes, will they hold up to some torture? and what kind of body and mounting does this look forward to?
the square links are great i've run them on my clod as lower links and havnt had a problem yet.also i dont thread them i just run the screw in and let it cut its own thread seems to work good like that.

will see about the undamped springs there preety stiff im hoping they'll have enough down force to give it some traction.

not sure on the body and mounting yet.

thanks
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
Im Brandon

Im really liking the chassis, looks great!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:16 AM   #6

Just a thought here: What about splitting the battery pack and putting a few cells on the rear axle to help with traction back there?

Other than that, it is an interesting design. I would like to see how the undamped rear ends up working.

Of course, if you don't want to mess up the weight distribution by splitting the pack up, just add more bb's to the rear......

Tim
AG4RZ

Last edited by iflyos; 11-24-2005 at 06:18 AM. Reason: can't spell...
iflyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i was thinking the opposite, i think the right front is going to lift on you, as there's nothing to damp the rears. maybe if you wrap enough lead around the front wheels you can keep the front end down, but that seems like a band-aid solution to me.

other than the torque-roll issue, i like it. find a way to deal with the torque and you may be onto something.

are those Revo canties that you mounted the shocks to?
Old 11-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the great ideas!!

torq roll is the threat that im worried about when i test drive it.but i think i might have an idea to help it just need to do alittle more thinking.

Those are stock TXT cants.

thanks Bigred
Old 11-25-2005, 11:19 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

I've done an undamped set up. I also remember Toyofast doing one on his Maxx, and the Utard guys doing it on their Trials rigs.

It doesn't work well.

However the good part is there isn't a shock limiting the travel amount in any way.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 08:00 PM   #10

i actually like the idea of the coils in the back. it WILL torque roll and bounce around but that is the same style rear suspension i put into a buddys 1:1 yota pickup. worked great and had tons of articulation. i have been away from the R/C's for almost a year now so i couldnt tell you for sure.
PsychoticDeadGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

got an update on this?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:18 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Interesting chassis design - I like it. It's cool to see new and different suspension setups.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Sup guys,i've taken it on a quik test drive and realy wasnt too happy with it.So im gonna switch in some stiffer springs and see how that goes.

i'll have some more progress pics up too.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:19 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

torque twist?
Old 12-08-2005, 09:47 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
torque twist?
no,actually it barely has any torq twist which is really amazing,im not even sure why it doesnt either,I guess luck.

The problem is the rear axle is waaaay to floppy and all over the place.the springs are like a sling shot they load up on steep climbs and when it starts to lift a wheel it just flops viciously,gotta watch you shins when it does that
Old 12-08-2005, 11:30 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Before you go and change the springs move the upper link mount on the chassy down to the lower link mount. They will not be paralell but that is what I had to do with my RBX to keep the rear axle from loading up on climbs.

BTW, I like the chassy

Last edited by slugzracing; 12-08-2005 at 11:32 PM.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Tthink about using a link-mounted shock (shock only, no spring) with some heavy oil mounted at about the middle of the lower link, set it up so you have equal up & down travel. That shouldn't limit travel too much and will control the slingshot effect. Or, hell, put them on the upper links, they're beefy enough to drill thru.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:27 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Hey guys,i got a little work done to the TLT.

thanks for all the great ideas.........but i decided to ditch the coils,for now aleast.

I really liked the look of the coils but i plan on building another TLT more scaled and detailed,so i decided to go for more comp style with this one.I got the body painted but not mounted yet.I did take it on a test run with the new setup........though a short one before my pinion gear exsploded and took 10 teeth off the spur gear with it............but it did amazing very stable im very pleased with it so far.

heres some updated pics of it.

LMK what you think,bigred

Old 12-10-2005, 10:20 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

nice truck do you have any body off shots
nic99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks,i'll get some body off shots in a few.