Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My first tlt (work in progress)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2005, 03:47 AM   #1

Default My first tlt (work in progress)

Now that I finally retired my modified wild dagger crawler (frame cracked in to many places to repair as well as axle mounts), I decided to try a TLT. Before I ever found this forum, I saw the article by tamiya and ordered the parts to do their rock crawler conversion. I know the stock chasis sucks as well as the belt drive, but I wanted to see what i could do with it untill my SW2 chasis comes in. Here's my tlt with a 10.5" wb, stock motor, 19t pinion, 78mm links and narrowed wild dagger wheels and wild dagger tires tires and of course all diffs locked. I did ditch the cantilevers on the rear suspension but haven't done it to the front yet. Get's a good amount of flex as is. The COG sucks and torque twist is awefull other than that it does ok. It's indoors for now, we got over 12" of snow over past day and half.

Plans are.... SW2 chasis, rustler tranny, lathe motor, moabs 2.2, rims ????, blackfoot axles, um can you say run of the mill tlt!! And yes I know the body mounts are sticking out too high. They are wild dagger body mounts and i am still messing with the placement. Any comments, suggestions, insults are welcome. ALso if you don't mind.... 120t spur on rustler gear box?

Thanks

Last edited by crawlak; 11-26-2005 at 03:50 AM.
crawlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

just play with it as much as you can for now. once you get a real chassis under it you'll appreciate the difference that much more.

Bender's chassis looks like a good 'un.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Tamiya had an article? I knew that RC Car action did, but not tamiya. Looks pretty good from the pics. Real shocks should help your suspension woes.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlak
we got over 12" of snow over past day and half.
LUCKY!!!!!!!!

harris
(yes, thats all i have to say. nothing constructive)
Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

OMFG where did you get the scion? i love them, the xb is my favorite.

and nice job with the crawler. you probably wont have to get rid of the cantilevers cause its got enough artic as is.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #6

Wow you guys are really taking it easy on newbies lately huh! Has anyone else tried the wild dagger body on their tlt's? It fit really well without having to cut it at all. Once my wheelbase gets longer than 10.5" it probably won't fit so well though. Thanks for the comments.

I forgot to mention my center chasis clearance is just a little under 3" but that doesn't mean anything as it rolls over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys
Tamiya had an article? I knew that RC Car action did, but not tamiya. Looks pretty good from the pics. Real shocks should help your suspension woes.
Actually I'm not sure who did the article but it was on tamiya's website. I've got 4" durtrax shocks on the front catilevers but they wouldn't fix on my rear suspension set up so I've got the stock one's in the rear for now. Works ok.

Quote:
I got it off of ebay for like $30. That's about all it's worth too with non proportional steering and throttle. I just got it becaue I drive an '06 xb.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
That is the gayest thing I have ever heard from you. Are you serious??? The xb is just toyotas recreation of the Honda Element under the Scion name just incase they **** up. Any car that has a comercial talking about "pimping out my ride with some 18 inch dubs..." is retarded. Seriously. Some people these days.

peace
harris
Old 11-26-2005, 10:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris
That is the gayest thing I have ever heard from you. Are you serious??? The xb is just toyotas recreation of the Honda Element under the Scion name just incase they **** up. Any car that has a comercial talking about "pimping out my ride with some 18 inch dubs..." is retarded. Seriously. Some people these days.

peace
harris

Not everyone "pimps" them out. And they are not anything like a crappy honduh element. You should test drive an xb, it's one of the most practical AND fun cars I've ever had. My previous cars were an 88 5.0 mustang, a 91 explorer and a 2000 zr2 chevy s10. This is my favorite so far. Yes the marketing is stupid, and it is a toyota but thats good because toyota's last. The best part is I can fit a 1/4 scale rc aerobatic plane and can pretty much fit allot of things into it and I get 32mpg all city driving! With the seats folded down for cargo the length from the dash to the hatch is over 90 inches, longer than my truck bed was. If I angle it I can fit a 8 foot piece of lumbar easy. That and it's much cheaper than an element. $14,300 is a great price on a new car that comes with trac control, stability assist air bags, power everything and a decent stereo all as standard. Pay no attention to the commercials

Now if you had said it's ugly..... then I'd say yes, to most people it is.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

man you wanna talk practical, i drive a 77 ford ranchero. Theres nothing more practical than a car, with a truck bed. I dont get 32mpg though, more around 8. And I just so happen to live a little under 4 miles from my school. So yeah it costs me a gallon of gas a day to get to school, but man do i love that 351 big block under the hood. And i know all about people and how the react to a different looking car. If i had a penny for every person thats called my car ugly, well i wouldnt be going to public school in the middle of mississippi. just remember that quote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

nice crawler, keep us updated
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
And they are not anything like a crappy honduh element.
I know. Thats kinda a bummer. Where I live the Element makes sence, because it can be hosed out. Would make it nice for those days when my MTB is super muddy or my friends surf board are all nasty.
Quote:
You should test drive an xb, it's one of the most practical AND fun cars I've ever had.
Hmmm, this could be a problem for me. I'm fifteen, and dont have my permit due to annoying parents. I have driven an Xa though. Was pretty fun, not quite like my truck to be, or my friends Carrera 4 (what *****es).
Quote:
Yes the marketing is stupid, and it is a toyota but thats good because toyota's last.
Yes! Someone agrees with me! And I agree with you that toyotas are good because they last. My truck is a 98 T100 SR5, and it lasts crazygood. I dont think that that is a word, but it had to be done.
Quote:
Now if you had said it's ugly..... then I'd say yes, to most people it is.
Its ugly.........

peace
harris
Old 11-26-2005, 11:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default the scion xb

just an fyi honda copied toyota on the box. toyota has been building that thing for the (JDM) Japanesse Domestic Market for over 5 years now. there just new to use here in the states. but i would have to agree an the 18" dub coment. its just domb. ats not a dub till its 20" duh. some times people are so stupid.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i going to try to settle this. although im pretty much putting myself up to get flamed.

both are practical. we have that agreed.

both are ugly. although some think they are "cute" most do not

neither is better than the other.
fuzzhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 12:09 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedesrule
just remember that quote "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
I dont really agree with that quote. Dont you mean "beauty is in the eye of the BEER holder"???

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedesrule
nice crawler, keep us updated
Yea, we probably should get back on the topic. this is getting to be more chitchat.

peace
harris
Old 11-27-2005, 01:28 AM   #14

looking back at my post, man I was sure getting defensive! HA. I will say that I would never drive an xB that looks like my rc version. GAG!!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far on my tlt. I've got all my parts I need to do my sw2 chasis except the chasis. ANTICIPATION!! I also was going to order some 2.2 moabs but I caved in at the LHS and got some masher 2000's so I'm pinching them in on my narrowed rims and trying to figure out how I'm going to do the foam.
Old 11-27-2005, 03:43 AM   #15
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Good to see some more AK people on here. Some other AK'er is getting his TLT setup with an RBX... which means I am WAY behind the curve and need to get building again.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 AM   #16

How does a RBX compare to Bender's chasis? I figured there was some others from Alaska because at house of hobbies they just sold their last lathe motor, pede yokes, and various other parts I needed. I got most of what I needed from Hobby Craft and the rest is on order.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:09 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plays_with_Toys

Yes, here ya go, it's called 'Rock-Crawling With Tamiya, An Idea is Born,' By John Hallman. Interesting article :

http://www.tamiyausa.com/articles/fe...article-id=135

Scroll down to the bottom and they have a bunch of pics too...I like the yellow Ford F150 with the yellow rims...reminds me of my 1:1 Yota crawler.

BTW, nice trucks crawlak! I love the scale looks of the TLT-1!

Any body off pics? I see you inboarded the tops of your rear shocks...nice too.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-10-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote