Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: noob with tlt Q's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2004, 08:45 PM   #1

Default noob with tlt Q's

hey guys noob here,ok first off i just want to say that im new to r/c rockcrawling but not new to r/c and real 4 wheelin. my buddy is selling me his almost new stock tlt. im looking to make it a capable crawler and heres what ive come up with so far for starter mods
1. mount servos on axles
2. chop wheels
3. turnbuckles for links or possibly tube links for a longer WB 14" or so
4. get new shocks (not sure which ones)
5. lock diffs

my only question is what to do with the driveshafts? since i am increasing the WB will i need new drive shafts? if so which ones are the best replacements?

if i have left anything out of my list please let me know. any help and insight is appreciated! help a noob out

thanks
JEEPADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2004, 06:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: noob with tlt Q's

that should start you off pretty good. Only thing is you wont have to custom mount the servos on the axles. The truck is made like that stock. I guess you could make some custom mount but it would just be extra work. Also if you want 14" wheelbase you will probably have to make links instead of turnbuckles. Its real easy so if you need any help just ask.
pedesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 07:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

You might be able to use the 114mm turnbuckles, but I don't know if those'd be long enough.

As for driveshafts, if you are using the stock tranny you can use longer dogbones, or if you swap in a 4tec differential in replace of the stock center diff you can attach traxxas stampede sliders. You could also attach them by modifying the outputs on the stock differential.

For ideas, cruise up and down this forum, most stretched wheelbase TLT's will say either "TLT-10" or "stretched TLT" something like that. I have a write up somewhere on here, I think the 3rd page called "TLT/TLT-10 tips and tricks (TLT-10 conversion)" It has a all the part numbers of one way to stretch it out. But definately look at other people's trucks and get some ideas.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

hpi nitro dog bones work, but you have to remove material from the ball to get them to mate to the tamiya cups(i have done this). the traxxas 116m links will get you close to the 14inch wheel base. i have two stetched tlts. one is a small scale and the other will wear a digger body(when i buy one). for a long wheelbase project suck it up and get the sliders(tranny swap or 4-tec diff). this will make axle angles much easyer to work with. and you wont have to worry about the driveline binding.

penguinrc.com sells a servo kit that will mount the serovs to the front of the axles. and i run traccas big bores on booth trucks 15wt oil, and rear stampede stock springs on all four corners.

plays with toys, do you have the part number for the 4-tec diff?

peter
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Here's the thread:

http://www.rccrawler.com/postt1008.html

Quote:
Electric 4tec diff: (PN# 4280 [entire diff, $24])
For the diff housing and gear (no diff screw or balls) PN#4281, 4282, 4283, 2722, 4360 for a total cost of $18.00
You will also need PN# 4255 which are the output yokes from the diff ($6.50)
You can also use the Traxxas street sport diff for $18 at tower http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...LXJG16&P=7
Old 09-28-2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i found your thread at rcmt.net and went to the lhs to order the parts;)

thanks
peter
ronbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:06 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Cool cool. Let us know how your tlt comes along.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:01 AM   #8

thanks for all the great help guys, i think all of my confusions have been cleared up and im not so overwhelmed with how to set up a crawlin TLT, i'll post pics in a few weeks with my progress once i get some cash money for parts
JEEPADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote