Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: JL scale Bronco build-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2005, 09:24 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

I do let her drive the 2.2 crawler around the yard though... it's a little more her speed LOL.
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2005, 08:35 AM   #22
Sinking with the ship

Default looks sweet!

WOW looks great so far! what is the plan for the rear cage ? is it going to follow the lines of the ones in the body?

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 AM   #23
Im Brandon

Hey Brando when you get those G Hawgs, cut the tread on them, I did that the other day for another crawler im making and they looked freakin awesome!
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:24 AM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badjeepbruiser
WOW looks great so far! what is the plan for the rear cage ? is it going to follow the lines of the ones in the body?

Mike
James says he wants the back of the body cut out like my Jeep. I plan to build the bars so it can be done either way. I want a complete uncut body to fit over. This way if he buys another body down the road he will have a choice. It's a little more work this way. But in the long run you have more choices when painting and cutting a body.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #25
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nluvwithxlr8ing
Hey Brando when you get those G Hawgs, cut the tread on them, I did that the other day for another crawler im making and they looked freakin awesome!
I have plans for the G-hawgs. I have plans for a leaf springer with a clod body. I would be interested to see how you cut them.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:19 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Beautiful job on that bronco chassis , are the main frame rails solid? and how did ya go about bend'n them?
pro beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 12:42 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

on the thread of his jeep build up he said it ways 1/4 inch solid square stock and he bent it on the vice and he said he used no heat but he might have on this one to make it easyer
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro beater
Beautiful job on that bronco chassis , are the main frame rails solid? and how did ya go about bend'n them?
Yes the main rails are solid 1/4 square stock. I notched the square lightly on the inside radius of the spot I wanted to bend. Using a hacksaw I cut about 1/2 way through. I then bent it and then brazed the joint. Doing it this way gives you a much more precise bend. It was easier to match the two sides also.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:11 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Here are a few more pics. The tubeage is just about done. I may add a couple more braces. Then on to the shock mounts.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:54 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Ive decided on a paint scheme, i have some left over pearl red from one of me race boats and i think im going to use that on the chassis. And White with one red stipe on eachside. Unless someone thinks somethink else would look better
Old 12-17-2005, 08:25 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

I always like flames. Problem is you don't see many 1:1 trucks with flames. I think single color bodies are good for scale rigs. If your going with pearl on the chassis how about pearl on the body. They sell pearl white in a spray can for lexan bodies.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #32
Sinking with the ship

Default Wow

WHOA the cage work came out BEAUTIFUL, I love it, I like that it follows the body roll bar lines so you can cut it or leave it, very awesome! Great work!

MIke
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 06:04 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Thanks Mike, Getting those bars to fit inside the body is pretty tough. Anyone who has done it knows what I mean. But the end result is worth it. I think this one is coming out better than my Jeep. Hey James I changed my mind, I am going to keep this one.

Just kidding bro........
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

lol
Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

It finally stands up on it's own without a block. Here are a couple flex shots with shock mounts and shocks. Very minor body trimming will need to be done in the front. It just barely rubs the front of the front flares at full flex. No problems in the rear. Myself on the other hand is another story. To much food and to many drinks last night at the Christmas party. I would fail an emissions test for sure.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Hey James, Empty your message box bro. I tried to reply to one of your messages but your box is full.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:46 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

The tire's i plan on running are 1/4 " smaller so it probably wont rub. Also i have some HPI Geolanders and do you think they would look good with that body, or do you think there to small, there 4"?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Did you come up with that body mount design, or did you see it on a truck before?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

Not really sure about the tires James. I like the way the Geolanders look. You might just have to lower the truck down a bit. I have Maxx shocks to go on the truck. Just going to have to get some softer springs. The stock red springs I think will be a little stiff. It's hard to say what a tire will look like until you actually see them bolted on.

That body mounting idea is all my own. Well sort of. We used to use 4 zues fasteners to mount the 1/4 scale bodies. They used to conect to the nerf bars down around the rocker panel. I guess I sort of adapted that idea. The way your Bronco is done holds the body in place really well.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:51 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I'd run the moabs not the geos here is a pic of a bronco on geos...........i like the moabs better

and one with my FJ on moabs and the bronc on geos

you gain about a 1/2" to 3/4" ground clearance with the moabs

Last edited by twisted84toyota; 12-19-2005 at 09:01 AM.
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote