Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: JL scale Bronco build-up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

I got the chassis sanded and primed and im stuck on what color i sohuld paint it. I was thinking a chrome or silver, but it might not mix with red very good. Does anyone have a Suggestion. Aventually i am getting another body and painting it white.
James Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2006, 07:24 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

I ordered red and white to paint hte body, and i wanted it all white and a red hood but i wasnt paying attention to what i was doing and painted it red. After i finish up my next rig ill save money to get a nother body
Old 01-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #83
Pebble Pounder

maybe baby blue for the frame :?
rcbif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Just paint it black.

I hate colorful frames on 1:1's, so since this is a scale rig, keep it scale.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:45 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2
Just paint it black.

I hate colorful frames on 1:1's, so since this is a scale rig, keep it scale.

is there any other way???????
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #86
Sinking with the ship

Flat black it...end of story, will keep it looking the most scale
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted84toyota
is there any other way???????
Yeah, that is just my opinion. He asked for opinions.

However, every time I see a 1:1 rig with a painted frame, I cant help thinking that it looks hacked. It's different for a show-only rig that never gets dirty or scratched, but if you're gonna use it, almost anything other than blacks & dark grays end up looking like dog ****.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:15 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2
Yeah, that is just my opinion. He asked for opinions.

However, every time I see a 1:1 rig with a painted frame, I cant help thinking that it looks hacked. It's different for a show-only rig that never gets dirty or scratched, but if you're gonna use it, almost anything other than blacks & dark grays end up looking like dog ****.
YEP it looks tacky you see bruisers on ebay all the time with powdercoated frames and they look terrible
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 08:03 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

A powdercoat would last WAY longer than paint would, but its hard to get a flat coat, lol there all shiny!, but yea flat black on the frame

Keep up the good work!

Later,
Jake
JakeDaSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

I got some flat black. I havnt been home all day and i want to sand a littlt bit before i paint so im on my way right now. h
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

If you ask me a flat black cage makes it look like you where to lazy to finish the job. A black frame is the norm on most stock 1:1 rigs. But most cages or tube chassis are painted. If you built a 1:1 like this Bronco wouldn't you paint it? If your building a hillbilly beater by all means use flat black primer. If your building a truck to be proud of paint the frigin thing. Black is fine but flat black looks unfinished and A$$.

just my $.02
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Soo if i ever wanted to re-paint this thing can i glass bead it. I reamember Brando told me i could but will it weaken the brazing.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandO
If you ask me a flat black cage makes it look like you where to lazy to finish the job. A black frame is the norm on most stock 1:1 rigs. But most cages or tube chassis are painted. If you built a 1:1 like this Bronco wouldn't you paint it? If your building a hillbilly beater by all means use flat black primer. If your building a truck to be proud of paint the frigin thing. Black is fine but flat black looks unfinished and A$$.

just my $.02
I already painted it black,. When you said Flat black primer. I didnt leave it black primer. I did it how you told me, and i sanded the chassis, then laquer thinered it, then painted 3 light coats or primer and i sanded inputween each one, then let it sit for at least 12 hours, then i painted it black. It dont think its a flat black, in the end it sould be shiny. If I am not happy with it ill repaint it when i paint the grave digger truck, well i prime it when i do the grave digger i wont paint it green.

Ill put some new pics on tomorrow. I have my first day back of school :-P
Not!! This is what I really think of school But Next quater i going to start trying harder other wise my mom said after the progress report came "If your failing this many classes on your report card, your not going to be boat racing" She said shes still thinking about what she will take away. I just hope she takes my PS2 and not my bronco.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Luce
This is what I really think of school But Next quater i going to start trying harder other wise my mom said after the progress report came "If your failing this many classes on your report card, your not going to be boat racing" She said shes still thinking about what she will take away. I just hope she takes my PS2 and not my bronco.
No wonder your such an idiot. Is it too hard to study?
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

The frame was beatifull, my kudos to BrandO for building a rig that cool, I'll sure keep those pics for future reference.

Now it's a pity to see that the rest of the rig ain't at the same quality level...:?
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #96
Rock Crawler

Geez guys, being a little harsh aren't you. Everyone has to start somewhere. James is learning a lot as he goes. And I am sure he is doing his best.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Ok well i painted ythe chassis and it came out preety nice. The pics arnt that good so you cant tell.

There where a few spots i couldnt get to very good with the paint. I didnt relize how hard it would be ot pain a tube chassis like this
Old 01-03-2006, 06:36 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

BrandO-
what did you use to burn the cage together? i tried useing Harrison Safety Silv 45 and its didnt take to the brake line that i bought from CarQuest. where and/or what did you use for your tubing? and what did u use for the frame? im atempting to build my own crawler and it isnt going as planned. anything apprecaited!! thanxs!

Luke
mudrinner4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #99
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrinner4ever
BrandO-
what did you use to burn the cage together? i tried useing Harrison Safety Silv 45 and its didnt take to the brake line that i bought from CarQuest. where and/or what did you use for your tubing? and what did u use for the frame? im atempting to build my own crawler and it isnt going as planned. anything apprecaited!! thanxs!

Luke
Did you sand the tube? Most brake line comes with some sort of coating on it. That needs to be removed. Are you using the Harris white past brazing flux? What kind of torch setup are you using?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, you have to remove the zinc coating or it will never stick! Also don't breath the smoke when welding or brazing zinc platted parts IT IS TOXIC!!!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote