Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problem w/TLT, not crawling well.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 09:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Problem w/TLT, not crawling well.

Ok, so I just finished my first TLT crawler about a week ago and have been doing upgrades.

It was:
Intellispeed 16T ESC
Dual 2/3A Hex Packs
Integy 35T Lathe
90T HPI Spur
21T RR Pinion
Masher 2000s with 6oz of shot in each tire, no foams.

Drove ok, smashed through the recent snow well enough, did pretty well.

I got a set of batteries from Cheap Battery Packs, 4 4/5A in one pack, 3 4/5A in another and mounted them over the axles, I charged it up and it drove ok for about 4 minutes around the apartment. seemed like good batteries.

Opened up my Tower Box I got today and installed the Integy 65T Lathe Motor.

From the 35 to the 65 I noticed NO PERFORMANCE DIFFERENCE. It still drives up to a wall and drives up about 2" and stalls out. Same as with the 35T Motor.

Am I just expecting too much? I have a VMG Crawler with a 280N motor and a Gear reduction and it just drives straight up the wall no matter what. I know there a lot of you with a TON more experience than me in this department, so please steer me straight.

Thanks.
Rob92k1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #2

shouldnt stall with that combo, Does the motor stop turning or does something slip? maybe try a different battery. how are you charging the battery you have now?
lostwages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:27 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Default What tranny

What tranny are you using. Did you lock the tranny, and get the slipper tight. Could be a slipper problem. May want to try a different battery. Just a thought, not sure though. Keep us posted when you figure it out. Good luck
rcnut38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

It's actually the motor stalling, this is driving up to the wall, stopping the tires to rest on the baseboard and then hitting the throttle.

I am using a prophet sport charger, set to the 1 amp charge setting, then after it beeps, I let it trickle charge another 15-20 minutes.

I am charging up one of my 2/3A Hex Packs as we speak, I am going to just slap in on the chassis and see if it works, I know those packs are good, so maybe I got some bad packs from cheapbatterypacks.com, I am sure it has to happen once in a while.

But we'll see in about 30 minutes when the packs done charging.

Btw, the 4/5A packs I just got are Elite 2000 Cells, the 2/3A packs I already had are 1100mAh No Name 1100mAh cells.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

21 tooth pinion 90 tooth Spur and the stock tranny right?

Anyone know the stock tranny ratio and can figure his actual crawl ratio out?

I'm guessing a much smaller pinon would help some... but a better ratio tranny would help even more.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

On the tranny issue, running stock TLT tranny, the center tranny is locked solid and axles are locked using the 3rd spider between the 2 others.

I am positive that it's actually stalling, I am just not sure if it's the ESC or Battery at this point, from what i am getting, the thing should drive up the wall with the 65T
Old 01-20-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Unholy, I am running the standard 48P HPI Gears, not the TLT .50 or whatever they are called, so my spur is actually smaller than the stock TLT gear, but I am running a smaller pinion as well, this is the smallest pinion I can run with the spur.

I am going to try the battery, I think next is going to be going back to stock gears, but I am not sure that is a step in the right direction.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:38 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default Smaller pinion

I agree, a smaller pinion would probably help. Not sure about the ratio of a stock tranny, that could be a problem as well
Old 01-20-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob92k1500
Unholy, I am running the standard 48P HPI Gears, not the TLT .50 or whatever they are called, so my spur is actually smaller than the stock TLT gear, but I am running a smaller pinion as well, this is the smallest pinion I can run with the spur.

I am going to try the battery, I think next is going to be going back to stock gears, but I am not sure that is a step in the right direction.
So huge pinion and small spur. I'm guessing your gear ratio really sucks for crawling. That is most likely your problem.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #10

what kinda radio are you using, maybe its setup wrong, your truck shouldnt stall no matter what turn motor your running. does it have alot of punch on flat ground?
Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Default The ESC

I would also check and see if the ESC will handle motors with that high of a turn count. I have seen a few ESCs that are not rated to handle a turn count that high, not sure about that one.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am going to probably start tearing it down in a few minutes and throw the stock gears back in. If that is am improvement, I am going to head out to buy some metric pinions tomorrow.

Any idea what the largest spur, smallest pinion you can run is on the stock TLT tranny with metric gears?

Btw, Radio is a Futaba AM 3 Ch. made for a OFNA Buggy.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #13

i may be wrong but most speed controls are rated by how low of a turn motor they can handle, never heard of having a problem with a high turn motor.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:53 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default That was what I thought

I do remember reading somewhere some ESCs that the turn rating was like 19 to 27 turn, I had never seen that before, and I do believe it was a duratrax speedo. I am not sure, but that did catch my eye.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:03 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Ok, stock gears back in, drove to wall, drove most of the way up it and shredded all the epoxy in my transmission, TONS of torque, now I just have to lock up the tranny better.

Thanks for the info and fast response guys, I was going freaking nuts....

Now, anyone know the smallest metric gear that will go on this thing?
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default 16t esc

That esc should handle either motor. I did check it out, and it is rated for 16t and up. The duratrax sprint is the one that is rated for 20t to 27t motors. My bad, but I was sure I had read that on one of the duratrax escs. That one should be fine.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:11 PM   #17

cool! i never used the stock transmission so i didnt realize they had such a higher ratio than a pede or similar.
Old 01-20-2007, 10:14 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Fixed the tranny, now it stalls a little from a dead stop with both tires touching the base board, but if you hit it just 5-10 degress angle, it drives right up, I am going to try to get a 12 or 13T pinion down at HobbyTown tomorrow.

Can't wait, it'll be my first chance to play with it on the rocks tomorrow, first day off in weeks.