RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya TLT Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/)
-   -   grinding noise? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-tlt-crawlers/22899-grinding-noise.html)

johnnyt 01-09-2006 04:00 PM

grinding noise?

so i built my trail rig but when i go to crawl up something the tranny makes like a high pitched grinding noise. the spur gear will still be going as well as the motor but the wheels won't be getting any power. does anyone know what to do?

BrandO 01-09-2006 04:02 PM

Does it have a slipper? Sounds like you slipper is a slippering.

johnnyt 01-09-2006 04:16 PM

yea i tightened the bolt all the way down and the little spring is all the way compressed

ILoveRCRockCrawlin 01-09-2006 04:31 PM

My friends tlt does that too. Theres really only one way to stop that, and that is to get rid of the spring a put something else in its place.

badger 01-09-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
Theres really only one way to stop that, and that is to get rid of the spring a put something else in its place.

Or build it correctly. All of my TLT's have the spring in place and none of them amake a high pitched grinding noise. :?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandO
Sounds like you slipper is a slippering.

LMAO!

ILoveRCRockCrawlin 01-09-2006 04:37 PM

Well I've never had it happen to my trannies which do not have the spring on them. His was the first time I've ever seen it happen and it has the spring.

badger 01-09-2006 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
Well I've never had it happen to my trannies which do not have the spring on them. His was the first time I've ever seen it happen and it has the spring.

Interesting, so the spring was the only difference on the trucks huh?

Come to think of it, I actually did have this problem, I rotated the tires and the problem went away.

one legged machinist 01-09-2006 04:47 PM

Had some thing like that happen to me years ago w/my old rc10 set screw in pinion was backing out.

gregrocks90046 01-09-2006 04:48 PM

is your pinion/spur mesh cool? sounds like it's too loose or too tight.

ColquittCustom405 01-09-2006 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregrocks90046
is your pinion/spur mesh cool? sounds like it's too loose or too tight.

I'm not the smartest man in the world, But it might be that?

ILoveRCRockCrawlin 01-09-2006 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badger
Interesting, so the spring was the only difference on the trucks huh?

Come to think of it, I actually did have this problem, I rotated the tires and the problem went away.

Actually I believe we did the same thing. Ha great minds think alike ;-) :mrgreen:

johnnyt 01-09-2006 09:26 PM

ok i will try an move the pinion gear away from the spur a little bit more and see it that does anything, but why would that make the wheels not turn?

ITL 01-09-2006 09:40 PM

Silly question maybe, but does the tranny have a ball diff and if so, is it locked in some way? A loose ball diff can do the things you described...including a shrill grinding sound.

johnnyt 01-09-2006 09:50 PM

i don't think it does, an i locked it with jb weld

JakeDaSnake 01-09-2006 10:18 PM

Yea the noise he discribed sounds a lot like a loose ball diff, lol, I'v had that sound a lot around the track, is it a pede tranny, stock TLT, or an Associated or what?

Later,
Jake

johnnyt 01-09-2006 10:42 PM

its a pede tranny, what should i do?

ITL 01-10-2006 08:18 AM

The Stampede tranny has a gear diff, right? That being the case I would say the culprit is the slipper clutch. I know you can get a spur gear adapter for the 'pede tranny that eliminates the slipper...pretty sure the part is only a few bucks.

HTH

EDIT:

I think this is the part you need:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJK67&P=7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this will replace the slipper clutch assembly.

Plays_with_Toys 01-10-2006 01:38 PM

Did you buy the tranny used? The idler gear might be toast. I know mine shaved off a side once and it didn't run at all. For spur/pinion mesh, place a piece of paper between the gears and then tighten the motor down. You should be able to spin the pinion and start ejecting the paper with a saw tooth pattern. That is just about the perfect setting for gears.

The next question is are the driveshafts turning and the tires aren't? Because that'd be axles. Make sure you have your drive shaft yokes tightened down on the tranny output shafts as well.

johnnyt 01-10-2006 07:11 PM

ok ill check out the idle gear. um no not even the driveshafts are turning. i thought the axle side might be slippin at first but then i realized they weren't moving at all.