Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Would like some suggestions for improvment.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 04:38 PM   #1

Default Would like some suggestions for improvment.

So I have a TLT crawler with a Junfac Tracer Chassis. Its my first crawler and I've had it for a few years and have been extremely happy with it. I was just looking towards everyone here to see if you can offer some suggestions for improvment.

So here's what I have:
TLT Axles
Junfac Tracer Chassis
2.2 Proline Moab Tires w/ HPI wheels
Traxxas RX and TX
Novak XRS ESC
RC4WD R2 transmission
3300 7.2 V Ni-Mh 6 cell battery
Team Integy 55-t lathe motor
Proline Chevy Silvarado Body
Futaba high torque servo (can't remember the number but it has plenty of torque)
T-Maxx Shocks (all stock, pulled straight off T-Maxx Roller)

I don't want to spend a lot of money improving my crawler so I would appreciate low cost suggestions. Thanks everyone, Zach.

zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

What do you do with it? Comp or Bash!

if you bash with I would leave it.
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
What do you do with it? Comp or Bash!

if you bash with I would leave it.
Probably try and go with a cross between the two. I didn't know if there was anything that could be done (low cost wise) to improve my rig.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I would replace the servo. A Hitec 645MG servo with a alum. servo horn. Your front axle alum. C's and knuckles. Your rear axle I would run a alum.
rear lockout.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
I would replace the servo. A Hitec 645MG servo with a alum. servo horn. Your front axle alum. C's and knuckles. Your rear axle I would run a alum.
rear lockout.
Will the alum. servo horn and alum C's and knuckles offer any more steering throw than stock?

Do you have a link for the alum. rear lockout?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

It would get rid of that flex that plastic parts give under stress. In my truck when I was running plastic knuckles the knucles would fold over while I turned. With a stronger servo you will be able to turn when in a bind.

check this links out:
Inner C-clips

You can do this with out getting the C's. Just trim of that tab where the knuckle and the axle housing meets, and do this. This will give you more steer that you are looking for. This truck I currently still run this truck at comps. Running the stock stubshafts in the front grind down
2 fresh built tlt rigs

Rear lockouts:
http://rcpcrawlers.com/product.php?p...&cat=17&page=1
Old 03-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Your rig looks like one that many of us owned. I would run "want to buy" adds here on RCC for any improvements and upgrades you might be thinking of for the Tracer. But your probably better off having fun with the TLT Tracer as it is save your money to spend on a new comp truck or parts to build a 1.9 scaler using your axles and what ever you can salvage.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Two of my favorite mods on my TLT are also free:

siping the tires with your dremel (borrow one if you don't have one) by cutting the center lugs in two in a perpendicular manner to the direction of the tires.. Takes all of five to ten minutes to do, and the result is a more pliable tire to flex it's way over the rocks!

The other mod is more of an ongoing creative process: lower your CG. invert your Maxx shocks so that they are upside down, relocate as many electronics as you can to the axles (be sure to waterproof if you like mudding, too!), get some smaller (physically) batteries and put them on your axles, etc., etc...

Another thing that you could do is use rubbing alcohol to remove the tire from the rim (they looked to be glued on..), star-cut the foams and narrow the rim for more side bite. This is a drastic modification and takes a bit of skill (the narrowing), so if you might doubt your steadyness of your hand, you should leave well enough alone until you can get your hands on some cheap Axial beadlocks.

Have fun!
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote