Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Im new here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 11:18 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

i found a site selling them for $60 but will have to wate till I get a bit of $$$ saved up.... being on a fixed income sucks!
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Cool...TCS Im guessing? I would definatly go for that if you wanna upgrade your current truck
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Got some new batteries on the way...
next will be a motor & then ill worrie about a new chassis, shocks, links & trans...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Wondering if this chassis will work for my TLT-1. Can anyone help me identify this quickly?
Its carbon fiber & meisures about 9.5 long X 3.25 wide. (i know its too wide, but thats a simple fix. not sure what to do about a trans plate & what trans.

It was a homade knock.

Last edited by airdreams1; 11-21-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Got the chassis, but I dont realy like it, so Im just going to make my own out of alum using this one as a rough guide. the finished product will look similar, just nicer (i hope)
Ill try things out on this one just to see what changes need to be made then it goes back up for sale.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #26
RCC Addict

If you are in the middle of a rebuild, are you swapping gearboxes to go with something better?
Even a $15, used Stampede trans would be a decent trade-up. It would get the motor lower down, on the skid plate for better center of gravity.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

yah, I was thinking of using a traxxas hawk trans if its the same internaly, since i already have one. it has an alum motor plate. i can easly make a biger one to run a larger gear. & is way smaller outside dimentions so i wouldnt have to do all the cutting.

if not ill get a rustler/pede trans & metal gears.

Anyone know if they are the same???? I know I should just tare it down & see, just havent had the time to get to it yet.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Just bought some integy Tmax shocks for the rebuild.

I belive the chassis I got is supose to be a home built knock off of a K2-3S. any sugestions on what links I should use?

Last edited by airdreams1; 08-25-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

OK i dont think there is any way the T-Maxx shocks will work with this chassis....
Will they work with a gate keeper or bender???
All I realy want out of this truck is a crawler that can go most anywhere & dont care if its tocomp specs... I dont have the time to run around to comps right now.. maby some day.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Again search through pics of comp rigs and scalers and figoure out what you want to build. That is step 1. As far as running long shocks on a K2 style chassis, I'm running 3.5" shocks on mine with bolt on shock towers to keep the ride height low. I did have to narrow the chassis to run the shocks outside the frame instead of inside like it was designed but it wasn't a big deal. Here's a top view of my current set up

Here's a side shot with the body on. You can see the shocks are mounted much taller than the chassis.

Now mind you this chassis is 16.5" long not 12" like the one you have but if you build your own make it 16" or so.

Last edited by rckjeep; 08-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Actualy the carbonfiber one is only 9.5 long. I was going to make the new aluminium one "12

"this chassis is 16.5" long not 12" like the one you have but if you build your own make it 16" or so."
Why so long? whats the advantage? sorry Im still very new...
Old 08-31-2010, 11:14 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreams1 View Post
Actualy the carbonfiber one is only 9.5 long. I was going to make the new aluminium one "12

"this chassis is 16.5" long not 12" like the one you have but if you build your own make it 16" or so."
Why so long? whats the advantage? sorry Im still very new...
Most 1/10th scale bodies are close to 16'' long, a full length chassis gives you room to move components around to use an interior or mounting bumpers. The idea behind a scaler is to build something that you'd see on the trails or streets. The more detailed the better. I try to find a happy medium between realism and performance.

For me, 2.2 comp style rigs are cool but far to capable. It's boring to drive them in certain places because they can make every line without issue. A scaler is true to life. they perform like their 1:1 counterparts, lifting a tire on a steep of camber climb. It much more challenging to drive a scaler, which to me is more fun.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Ill have to get some pics of my local rock pile. Its masive & less than 1 mile away. Its where Im thinking Id like to do most playing, but well see.... If it gets too boring then maby Ill make a scaler... but i know Ill have to spend more $$$ at that time..

problem is, Im disabled & on fixed income so things take way longer than they should.... Had to sell some stuff that I didnt realy want to part with to get the chassis. I just sold my Twin detonator that I was going to make a scaler of sorts with, so Id have the $$$ to get the integy shocks. Still need a motor, better esc, different links, & probably several other things.... Guess I got to do 1 at a time no mater how good of a deal I get on a rig. may have to sell some more just to finish this one. Hope I can drive it before winter sets in... But thats a long shot.

Wish money was not an isue, Id have a mountain of RC's & other toys.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Here are some pics of my local rock pile.... If I had to guess id say there is around 5000 to 8000 sq. ft or more... should be able to find some good runs or atleast be able to make some.

this isnt all of it, was in a hurry, but Just wanted to share some pics for now.

Oh & the few Large bolders you see in the top 2 pics are about 1/3 the size of a VW bug

Last edited by airdreams1; 09-02-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Its almost time for a complete rebuild....though I still have never realy driven the truck.. just need a couple more pices.

so far for the build, i have new/used:

chassis, wheels, shocks, esc, motor, bec, trans, & maby a couple other things Ive forgoten...
Wont go into full details yet, will save that till i get started.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Nice local rock pile to run at! Be inovative-you can do alot of things, for cheap with just a some time spent doing it. (check out the tools & procedures section for $$ saving tips) Be warned- it VERY additive once you get started.
ClodNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #37
Quarry Creeper

well i have it as a partial roller right now... trying to figure out the upper links. will post some pics soon.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Here is the new stuff i have so far.

Bender Chassis, Alum wheels, FXR, hawk trans, integy maxx shocks, HiTec CRX radio & reciever.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Glad to see those parts being put to use Old school shafty=UBER COOL

I know a ton of people that "cut their teeth" with SW2/TLT/Pede trans rigs. Those wheels look great with the old Moabs on there
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

been out of the whole RC thing dealing with family issues for quite some time... But, goingt to try to finish this thing up before summer ends! think all I realy need is to finish mounting my trans, make the upper links & get all the electronics back in the truck.