Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: need help for a TLT axle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default need help for a TLT axle

Hi, for my new incomig project i have to renforce the differential gear of my TLT. i have searched jet but i have not found the right parts to do this.
can you help me to find steel gears for my axle differential?
i know, i can change with the solid diff from RC4WD or similar, but for my project i need to have a true differential inside..

thanks Marco
@Maxcipollino@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

So you want steel ring and pinion gears as well as the planetary gears? I dont know of anybody that makes them. However, I have never had an issue with them breaking....and if you are running unlocked, then you shouldnt either.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Uless he's doing some hybrid go-fast basher with a TLT axle in the rear and big brushless power on 4S!

hey, it could happen
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
So you want steel ring and pinion gears as well as the planetary gears? I dont know of anybody that makes them. However, I have never had an issue with them breaking....and if you are running unlocked, then you shouldnt either.
right! same steel of the solid gears from rc4wd...but to be applied on the original differential....it has to really work...
do you really think that if i don't lock the planetary gears, all the differential sistem will not break?? see the next reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
Uless he's doing some hybrid go-fast basher with a TLT axle in the rear and big brushless power on 4S!

hey, it could happen
it will happen!!!

the project needs, summit transmission, stell cvds, 2.2 tire reduced to 1.9, beadlock special wheels ( 1.9 diametere but 2.2 large ), HV4400 motor and mamba max pro esc, 45C lipo...
I need this configuration to have horsepower for climbing and velocity for mud and deep water....
Old 07-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

If you plan on running a big brushless & Lipo set-up then open TLT's aren't for you.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Maxcipollino@ View Post
do you really think that if i don't lock the planetary gears, all the differential sistem will not break??
They have a better chance of holding up, yes. However, you will definitely need to shim the pinion gear to get proper tooth contact with the ring gear or else you will kill them both rather quickly.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:43 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
If you plan on running a big brushless & Lipo set-up then open TLT's aren't for you.
which kind are you thinking are right for my project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
They have a better chance of holding up, yes. However, you will definitely need to shim the pinion gear to get proper tooth contact with the ring gear or else you will kill them both rather quickly.
ok, this is the minimun job to do on the diff befere close the axle...do you think it could be better shim the pinion or glue the pinion with the bearings in the properly position?
in the second way i prepared the emaxx stock diff and they are still working fine..
Old 07-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have TLTs on 3 of my rigs. They are by no means bullet proof, but they get the job done. My comp rig has full MIPs and RCP lockers. My scalers have a mix of stock and MIP. Even my 1/9 scale - HEAVY JK Jeep has TLTs with the front being pure stock and has not failed yet.

x2 on the shimming. Even with RCP lockers I shimmed. I shim axle coming ou the long side of the dif to get the right mesh. Shimmed right, even the stock ring pinion take some punishment and last.

All my TLTs are 2s lipos, single speeds. Two hottest motors are either a 10T, 7pole cobalt , or my 1000kv Hacker A30 8XL.

All that said.........Weighted, oversized tires, hot motors, and 3-4s Lipos are a combination to kill a TLT axle.
If you are going to try a Summit trans, you prob will not need more then a 2S Lipo. Play with the ring/pinion combo with the motor you have, and a 2s batt. See if you cannot get the crawling torque, and trail speed you want.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote