Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stealth tranny prototype chassis build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2006, 01:08 AM   #41
Rock Crawler

Last edited by skipstr71; 03-11-2006 at 01:35 AM.
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2006, 10:27 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

good job casey looks great....
NorCal 2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Looks good. That tranny looks like it will help out a lot with the center of gravity.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
Looks good. That tranny looks like it will help out a lot with the center of gravity.

Oh yea... My goal was to design OUT all the problems I see with my buddies rigs.. we worked out the bugs and its better but I went after the best possible CG when designing the chassis at the cost of a somewhat bad driveline angle. The motor is about 1.5" lower than an aftermarket pede style chassis.... when holding this rig and another with an aftermarket pede tranny, your can literally feel where the weight is sitting and how much difference there is.. It will be running by the end of the day..
Old 03-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

looks great dude.

couple of things....

the upper link mounting at the chassis. Your rod ends' travel is alradey maxed out. That's going to cause binding. You can counter that a little by putting the links on the inside of the chassis with misalignmnet spacers. But the problem I see with that (and believe I know why you mounted it like that) is to clear the diameter of those Revo shafts.....

Shock mounting at the axles. I would try to have the shocks at the axle mounted as far apart as far as possible (check clearances at full lock left/right). This will help fight torque twist.

Gearing 90/11 with that tranny is really low. Especially if your using a lathe motor with a 6 cell pack. You will have no wheelspeed. I'm running 87/12 with a 45T lathe, you've seen the speed of my rig....

be a shame to cover up that work with a body!
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Yea I see the issue with the links at the chassis.. So I think I am going to mill a chamfer there and mount the link at perpendicular beveled edge.. if that makes sence.. I know it looks bad, but it isnt causing any issues at this point, but onthe rocks is a different story..

thanks for the imput..!~
Old 03-11-2006, 11:54 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicj
...the upper link mounting at the chassis. Your rod ends' travel is alradey maxed out. That's going to cause binding. You can counter that a little by putting the links on the inside of the chassis with misalignmnet spacers. But the problem I see with that (and believe I know why you mounted it like that) is to clear the diameter of those Revo shafts.....

Shock mounting at the axles. I would try to have the shocks at the axle mounted as far apart as far as possible (check clearances at full lock left/right). This will help fight torque twist.

Gearing 90/11 with that tranny is really low. Especially if your using a lathe motor with a 6 cell pack. You will have no wheelspeed. I'm running 87/12 with a 45T lathe, you've seen the speed of my rig....

be a shame to cover up that work with a body!
Try it how it is before you mill the chamfer and move the mount...flex the suspension right there on the table and see...probably need to mill the chamfer though.

Mounting the upper links inside of the TVPs reduces the triangulation effect of the links...good to keep them outside of the TVPs as they are now, if possible.

I agree on the shock mounting and the motor/gearing. However, not everybody runs the narrowed wheels and axle spacers that you have on at the moment...keep that in mind...also shocks too far apart will limit travel, but may not matter as too much travel is not good either.

Last edited by Natedog; 03-11-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:03 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

ive been waitng for a chassis like this keep us posted (pics) **maybe a vid ** too . also will u be making a kit ? wat would u include in the kit . cuz i got a pair of tlt axles and a stealth tranny for a rc10t3 waiting to be transformed into a crawler. so keep us posted and good luck with the truck. btw awsom truck!!!!!!!!!!
hansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Crazy man! Bada$$!
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #50
Rock Crawler

Well any issues we thought would come from the shafts should be put to rest as they survived a good thrash.. Its smooth as silk with these shafts.. There is NO such think as torque twist..! We dont even see it twist a hair.. It does sit very low and makes alot of high centering but with the slickness of the delrin, once a tire touches it jumps and slides right over.. I deffinatly need a little more articulation.. or weight in the tires... or softer springs.. Well I guess I need to play with it some more.. I got an hour out of my pack.. The 55 turn isnt impresive, and I hope the 35 turn is here on monday.. *cough*cough*.....!

So far I am very impressed.. I think I will get rid of the jerry rig wire job I through together to run it as I was iching like crazy... and hopfully tommorrow we can get a real world test other than what I am working with at the house..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansom
ive been waitng for a chassis like this keep us posted (pics) **maybe a vid ** too . also will u be making a kit ? wat would u include in the kit . cuz i got a pair of tlt axles and a stealth tranny for a rc10t3 waiting to be transformed into a crawler. so keep us posted and good luck with the truck. btw awsom truck!!!!!!!!!!
Yes I am for sure planning a kit.. I have a guy hooking my up with some stealth trannys and I am gonna make the spool to maxx diff to go with. Your forced to run the big revo shafts on this set up because the angle is too much for the maxx shafts.. But with the way its set up, I can get more twist and even adjust without running into clearence issues... So far its what I was looking for. I will need some time to tweak on it and get the most out of what it is and then it will go to production..

Once I get it dailed in more I will have vids all day long..
Thanks for the kind words and support..!

Last edited by skipstr71; 03-11-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #51
Pebble Pounder

good news hope u can work out wat ever bugs u need, and thats swwet about the steath spool for revo shafts ill defiantly buy the spool . and if u do end up producing this kit will it be availiable in derlin chassis, is derlin rigid enuf and kight enuff? can i get som articulation shots
Old 03-12-2006, 12:01 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

wat kit did u steal the steath tranny from cuz it looks like a b4/t4 tranny, will the t3 tranny work with this kit?
Old 03-12-2006, 09:35 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Man, you make some awesome stuff, skipstr!!! Great job!!!
Going Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:56 PM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansom
good news hope u can work out wat ever bugs u need, and thats swwet about the steath spool for revo shafts ill defiantly buy the spool . and if u do end up producing this kit will it be availiable in derlin chassis, is derlin rigid enuf and kight enuff? can i get som articulation shots

wat kit did u steal the steath tranny from cuz it looks like a b4/t4 tranny, will the t3 tranny work with this kit?

Yea the spool with maxx outdrives is the key to this build.. Its what makes a stealth a crawler tranny IMO..

Oh yes I belive the delrin is plenty beefy. Take a look at the ultra nie bender 23mm adapter.. they are made from delrin..

This is an older tranny that I got in a box of parts... I have the newer style tranny and those are the ones I am working to get a dozon of.. I will base the production chassis off of these..

Here are some articulation shots. I never really liked the maxx shocks. I traded them out for a taller twin force shock. These are way smoother and about 3/8" longer. That gave me the articulation I was looking for. The shock body just touches the link at full twist. First 10 min of run on it seems even better. Still no drive shaft issues and I even had a brain fart and didnt set screw the shafts to the yokes and it still survived all last night and today.. I am so very impressed with this and think its gonna be something...

Machined on the pinion and the revos shaft for a solid fit. Its not perfected and I want to make a real adapter for it but for now its holding up without a problem..

Almost huh..
Old 03-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstr71
Locked up the slipper, went to a 90 spur/11 pinion, and milled the bevels on the skid..

Where did you find a 11 tooth 48 pitch pinion at? Lowest 48 pitch pinion I have found is a 12 tooth.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:23 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
Where did you find a 11 tooth 48 pitch pinion at? Lowest 48 pitch pinion I have found is a 12 tooth.

Hobby town here in fremont.. It is a RRP product... They had lower but HD took it I belive...

But it was too low so its at 18/90 at the moment..
Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
Very intesting. So you are going to sell an adaptor so you can use the Max outdrives w/ the Stealth? Now that is cool!

Techinicaly its a spool that has maxx outdrive yokes that replaces the diff in the stealth... But this tranny is unbeliveable strong. Halfcab runs it in his full size crawler with a brushless on it and its handles it without issues.. So I know how strong these trannys are, and belive it will eliminate the goofy pede tranny...
Old 03-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #58
Rock Crawler

a WAG (Wild A$$ Guess) is $25
Old 03-12-2006, 04:27 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipstr71
Hobby town here in fremont.. It is a RRP product... They had lower but HD took it I belive...

But it was too low so its at 18/90 at the moment..

Robinson Racing must not have it listed on there site then, lowest they show is 12 tooth:
http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalo...tchpinion.html
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #60
Rock Crawler

Toyfast... If you want one bad enough, I'll dig through the trash and get the part #.. I am not even using it as its way to low for my set up...

Got the LiPo battery and she weighed in just under 4.5lb (with lipo) loaded and ready to crawl.. Charging up the LiPo and finalizing the wiring on it..