Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: No0b TLT Stretch project - stock chassis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default No0b TLT Stretch project - stock chassis

Can call this one the no buck build, all spare parts hopefully. I really don't want to put any money into the truck, worst case I'll put it back to stock because it was really fun to play around with setup that way

Here's how I've had it for several years-

Tamiya graphite chassis set
Tamiya ball bearings
Tamiya 'wild willy' 2.2" tires and wheels
All 3 diffs locked
27t motor in a mod motor case (stronger magnets, better endbell, + ball bearings)
MTronics waterproof f/r esc

A few years ago I parted out my tmaxx and kept the bronco body, links, drive axles, and shocks, I always figured on using them for a stretch on the TLT, but finally just took the truck apart and started it.

I have a few questions though.
-Where should I mount the upper links on the axles? I'd like to triangulate them as best I can to avoid torque twist, will the backside of the servo mount blocks be alright? After getting the truck together as you see above, I think I'm going to move the lower links to the bottom of the mount blocks the shocks are attached to, and move those other blocks to the servo mounting blocks to attach the upper links
-I feel the springs in these shocks are far too stiff, so I will try some softer ones from my stadium trucks, but in general it feels like I lost a ton of articulation even right now with no upper links installed
-Any tips on adapting the traxxas slider shafts onto the stock tlt drive cups?

Last edited by Blind; 08-20-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

take a look at mine. I have a prety good amount of articulation even with shorter shocks....
Im new here.

i do get some torque/twist on the shocks, but I think it can be fixed with a slight mod to the upper shock mount. i think your loosing some articulation by not having the top of the shocks spaced out far enough form the chassis. I also had some problems till I added a 1/8 nut between the chassis & lower link.
I can get you some better pics if needed.
hope it wil give you some ideas of how or where to mount your links.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good start. I would just suggest moving your lower links to just under the shocks and removing that lower link mount. It will help with clearance. Like this:

rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett314 View Post
Looks like a good start. I would just suggest moving your lower links to just under the shocks and removing that lower link mount. It will help with clearance. Like this:

yeah that is my idea exactly after gettting it together, looks like a much better location.

I like that servo mount plate with enough space to mount the upper arm link, looks really well triangulated to reduce twist, I'll have to come up with something like that.
Blind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

RCP has the mounts in stock. I know you don't want to spend the money, but they are a good price and worth it.

http://www.rcpcrawlers.com/product.p...&cat=17&page=1
rhett314 is offline   Reply With Quote