Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stock TLT-1 - first items to crawl?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Stock TLT-1 - first items to crawl?

Hello all,

I have a 100% stock TLT-1 Max Climber with a 3 channel radio (with rear steer). Now I am considering to turn it into a crawler.

What would be the first recommended mod? ( I want to go step by step).

I know many things can be done - but what has the biggest impact, while being relatively cost effective to do?

My ESC is a non crawling one, and the motor is relatively fast: should I start with those?

If yes, what (low cost) options would I have?

Thank you all!
Gadgetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
Official Cook of the ECC

The chassis if still runing the stock one, It has no ground clearance.

Lengthen it...........ditch the tranny for something better(i.e. no belt)
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
The chassis if still runing the stock one, It has no ground clearance.

Lengthen it...........ditch the tranny for something better(i.e. no belt)
Thank you. It is the stock chassis.

What chassis / tranny would you recommend?
Old 08-26-2010, 11:25 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetguy View Post
Thank you. It is the stock chassis.

What chassis / tranny would you recommend?
Ditch the rear steer.

Chassis, there are many that will wor with TLT axles, most AX10 chassis can be used or modified to use with the TLT, most were initially designed for the TLT anyways. You can pick an older Bender SW2 or SW3 pretty cheap, they work with a Stampede tranny or AX10 tranny. I would suggest the AX10 tranny and get a dig setup for it, like the VP Hurtz Dig. Use the 3rd channel for this

Pick up some new links to get your wheel base out to 12.3"-12.5", new servo mounts/battery trays with 4-link mounts are availble from TCS, RPP and a few others.

Lock the axle diffs, either by buying a locker, or by locking the stock one. I always prefered adding an extra gear backwards in the diff housing to lock it, but there is always JB weld....

Invest in some MIP CVD's., Axle C's w/high clearance knuckles and straight axle adapters for the rear.

Get some new 3.5"-4" Shocks, the stockers are more suited to scale rig builds.

Some good 2.2" beadlock rims and some good 2.2 tires.

Then start experimenting, I know I am missing some stuff, but have the fun is discovering it for yourself!! Welcome to the addiction!!

Here's some pics:

I still beat most people in sportsman with this rig, and nothing on it has changed since 2007 except the body was replaced!!

SW2

SW3

More TLT Builds and Ideas: http://s732.photobucket.com/albums/w.../TLT%20Builds/

Last edited by PaloAltoK5; 08-27-2010 at 12:07 AM.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thank you for all the great suggestions. Time to do some more focused research and then start building...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

or if you want to go fairly cheaply & not have to buile/experment, there is roler with a bender chassis, etc on RCuniverse for $150 http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=667183
wish i had gone that way.... Im into mine close to 250 & still need a better motor, different links & mounts.
airdreams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've been running TLT's for years, still have 5 rigs running their axles. First thing to get is a plan on what you want to build. Do you want to build a comp style crawler or a scale crawler? Then decide on a chassis. I've been using the Reign K2 designs for some time. If you can find a used K2-5 (the last generation) you can build it either way. I used one for a comp chassis at full length and took 3 third on a comp course with it. It worked amazingly well. Then built a scaler with it. It's a very versitile chassis. Building a scaler will also keep the cost down because you won't "need" to beef up the axles as much due to the smaller tires. Good luck with what ever you build. I've added a few pics of my rigs to show how versitile the axles can be.

This was my first scaler built in 2004(back in the day scalers were 2.2 rigs) His name is Ralph. I miss this thing, maybe I'll build his cousin Henry someday

This is Mugsy my tube comp chassis, works better than pretty much any tube chassis I know of. Built in 2006

The Shop Truck is a old Tamiya Mountaineer chassis running a stampede tranny and good ol TLT axles with leaf sprung suspension.

This is my Jeep Cherokee scaler, running the Reign K2-3L chassis modified for more ground clearence and narrowed for better shock mounting.

None of these rigs run any wideners, stay away from them. In my opinion the best way to change the track width is by tire & wheel choice. Most of the 2.2 rigs were between 10-10.5" and the scalers are 8.5" wide.

enjoy the addiction
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote