Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stealth tranny in modded TLT chassis...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Stealth tranny in modded TLT chassis...

I've been tinkering with this for a few weeks. It's my first attempt at a crawler so I'm a little slow. I started by reading a lot and planned to follow the typical TLT formula with the pede tranny, lathe motor, 12" WB, etc.

I started with pede tranny but wasn't particularly happy with the size of it and how it placed the motor so high in the chassis. I thought about a laydown configuration, but wasn't keen about having so much weight hanging off one side of the chassis. Then I picked up an Associated RC10 B4 tranny and was very impressed at the size, weight and quality of this unit. The best part is that it fits very nicely into a slightly modded stock TLT chassis. The only downside I can think of is figuring out how to mount sliders to the Stealth outdrives, but that didn't prove to be terribly difficult either. Anyway, enough yakking - here's some pics....

And finally, the obligitory flex pic...

oIIIIIo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That's probably the cleanest stock-chassis build I've seen. Nice.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks very clean, nice work...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Great job..! You will be amazed with that tranny. its absolutly bomb proof along with other great features..!
skipstr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #5
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIo
The only downside I can think of is figuring out how to mount sliders to the Stealth outdrives, but that didn't prove to be terribly difficult either.
Tell us how you mounted the sliders, please.

Awesome rig!
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Oppan Gangnam Style

nice job! looks like a factory install. keep us posted on how it performs.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

yeah how do u mount sliders and how u mount tranny? pics
hansom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #8

WOW, that is very nice. I realy like the nice clean look to it.

If you dont mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I realy want to get into rock crawling but I am on a very tight budget. Thanks.
zboarder720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the compliments guys. I just got into RC after Christmas so this is my very first project. I'm quite pleased with it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSR
Tell us how you mounted the sliders, please.

Awesome rig!
I used T-Maxx driveshafts with the T-Maxx yoke on the tranny end and Revo yokes on the axles. When I had the tranny apart to lock the diff, I cut the length of the outdrives down by about 3/8" and drilled a 7/64" hole through them for the T-Maxx yoke cross pin. I then enlarged one of the holes to 9/64" and threaded it with a tap to match the threads on the cross pin. Then I drilled out the yoke with a 3/8" bit so it would fit over the outdrive. Then just install the cross pin and you're done. I did basically the same on the axle end by cutting down the TLT drive cup to about 3/8" and drilling all the way through with the same holes as the tranny. I also drilled a 7/64" hole through the flat spot on the pinion shaft. The drilled out Revo yokes fit over the cut down TLT drive cups and the whole assembly is cross pinned onto the pinion shaft. I used the Revo yokes in the rear because the pn hole is biased closer to the rear of the yoke than the T-Maxx and they are much stronger. I would have used these on the tranny as well, but I don't think they would clear the spur gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansom
yeah how do u mount sliders and how u mount tranny? pics
To mount the B4 tranny in the stock TLT chassis, all you have to do is slightly enlarge the spur gear slot in the side plate and drill a few more holes. The tranny is mounted in two places - at the top on the spur gear side using the 1/8" spacers that come with the TLT kit, and at the bottom using two of the long bolts that come with the TLT kit that are used to space the chassis side plates. I cut four pieces of brake line to sleave these which locates the bottom of the tranny. I highlighted it in these pics...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboarder720
If you dont mind me asking, how much did that set you back? I realy want to get into rock crawling but I am on a very tight budget. Thanks.
As it sits in these pics, I've probably got about $300 into it. $80 for the TLT kit (Ultimate Hobbies), $50 for the B4 tranny (eBay), $65 for the tires, wheels & TG10 outer shafts (Tower), $25 for the Integy 55t motor, $50 for the Revo push rod links, T-Maxx shocks and T-Maxx driveshafts (eBay) and probably another $20 worth of misc tidbits.

But what you see here is only about half the cost. Add another $80 for a good ESC, $80 for a couple of decent servos, $30-$40 for a 3ch transmitter and receiver, $30 for a body, $100 for a charger and another $100 for two or three battery packs.

All together, I've probably spent $700 on this silly thing. My wife would cut off my balls if she saw this.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:19 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

nice clean build, I might be stealing your idea.
I do have a suggestion, locknuts.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:06 AM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by oIIIIIo
All together, I've probably spent $700 on this silly thing. My wife would cut off my balls if she saw this.
LOL... This would make a nice signature...

Nice build btw, keep us posted.
crawl_tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:10 AM   #12
varcor.org

You did an awesome job!!! Can't wait to see the finish product. What body are you going to use?
swell searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I'm a Jeep guy - my 1:1 is a YJ, but I'm going with the HPI Early Bronco body. I just think it looks cleaner than the TJ body.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
2nd that, I have run 2 stealth trannies, both lay down in a stock tlt chassis, absolutly bullet proof. nice build.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 10:34 AM   #15
CSR
RCC Addict

Quote:
3rd that!

I have a new TLT kit and a Stealth tranny at home..... clone time!;)
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:55 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I finally got around to installing the electronics and testing it out a bit. About all I've got left to do is sleeve the upper links and mount a body. I don't have much to compare it to as this is my first crawler and there aren't many around here to compare with, but I am very pleased. The Stealth tranny and Integy 55T cmbo is as smooth as silk and has a decent crawl ratio - top speed is about normal walking speed.

I debated battery placement, but ended up just putting it on the stock tray between the chassis plates. Since I don't plan to comp it at this point I prefer the convenience and nice secure location over trying to secure it to my upper links. I had to change my front springs back to the stock T-Maxx red as my Losi yellows were a bit too soft with the battery in place.

Any comments on what I could still improve?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Quote:
I agree, props on the chassis.
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 07:37 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Very close to the one I'm finishing up right now, only I used a Losi trans. I got tired of my daughter wanting to drive mine all the time so I built her one!
racerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:01 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I must accuire this ''stealth'' you speak of This sounds like a peice that may be useful in another scale project I'm planning.

Sweet setup buy the way, one of the best ''stock'' chassis setups I've seen
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #20
RCC Addict

awesome man, great craftsman work
sleek6mt is offline   Reply With Quote