Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wilder Willy Project CJ2a/3a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Wilder Willy Project CJ2a/3a

I have always loved the "flatfender" CJ2A/3A jeeps. So I thought it was time to repo Wild Willy from my son for a scale ish flatfender build...

Features:
Wild Willy body
Ladder style frame
XXXT tranny
55T motor
3/4 elliptical rear
HPI Spike Wheels
Hitec 645
Locked TLT axles
New Roll Cage

I havent decided on tires yet...Suggestions???I started this yesterday here is the progress so far...

The body isnt mounted yet, just sitting there...Feel free to flame my first attempt at a scale build...
k9popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I love that body, always have. If it is a scler that you are building and you want it to preform, get the tranny as low as you can and face the motor forward not backward. This will help with weight balance and torque twist.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 AM   #3
Sinking with the ship

This should be cool , SHORT, but cool LOL I would maybe try for some geolanders , probably dont want to go any bigger then that otherwise they migth touch in the middle..haha

Definitely looks like a nice clean start

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimoger
I love that body, get the tranny as low as you can and face the motor forward not backward. This will help with weight balance and torque twist.
I like that idea im going to try it..Im also going to put a working winch under the hood and run it out the winch on the front of the body...
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan
IMO, it would look more scale w/o that roll bar. Love the body!
Yeah dezfan I'm with you, I would lose the roll bar. But thats just me. Other than that, looks good to me so far. Good luck on finding some Geolanders
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:45 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

i like that body too, for a jeep. i think the roll bar is somewhat scale but the lights on top are just too big. good luck with the build.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:46 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've got a NIB original WW1 body set and a XXXT tranny, so I will be watching this thread closely. also NIB tires and rims.
restorationists will be crying when I start.
flatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:30 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Just guessing, but the wheelbase looks to be 7 inches, give or take? That's gonna make driveshafts a beeeeeyotch. You'll probably end up hanging the tranny way down low to keep the angles under control. Not a criticism, just an observation. A short axle-to-tranny distance complicates things, and you've got two of them in the same build.

As for tires, if it's a scaler, maybe 1/18 Nylints? They're about 3-1/2 inches, not much smaller than Geos, and a lot narrower. Plus they look great. Don't know how you'd mount them, though. Have to custom something up. Hell, you can buy a whole Nylint for the price of two pair of Geos, unless you don't want to pollute your build with Wal-Mart parts Tamiya BFGoodrich 1.9s are the same size but a lot harder.

Where's your battery going to go?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:58 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thats where the the ish in scale comes into play...Im hoping to push the wheelbase to around 9-10''...I want it to look like a 1:1 crawler as in scale...I would like it to work fairly welll...Im hoping the elliptical will work good...But we'll just have to see...

Im going to run LiPo packs so I can save space and and mount them litterally anywhere...

Last edited by k9popo; 03-14-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo
Thats where the the ish in scale comes into play...Im hoping to push the wheelbase to around 9-10''...I want it to look like a 1:1 crawler as in scale...I would like it to work fairly welll...Im hoping the elliptical will work good...But we'll just have to see...
K9, the 3/4 elliptical on my scale fj40 works pretty well, it does not add alot of droop but a little. I had to add ladder bars to fight the axle twist. I made my own springs and they are fairly light, flex is good. I need to add pics to my build thread.
I thought all cops tried to be fireman first.
Glen
76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9popo
My tuber has a 10" WB and can crawl with the best of them
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:44 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

I can't wate to see this done. I have a 1:1 CJ3B w/full cage and want to build a scale replica of that. I'll watch your build while I work on mine and post pics when I can.

Keep up the good work
OldSchoolCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote