Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Cheap TLT-1 MODS!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2007, 02:32 AM   #1

Default Cheap TLT-1 MODS!!!

i got a TLT rock buster about 2 years ago and it..... well its sat in its box about 50% built most of the time ive had it... ive been thinking about getting it together alot lately but i dont think its gonna be much more then some thing i play with just every now and again.... ( very rarely..too many cars..) sooo...

im looken for the CHEAPST mods that can be done to this thing...im very handy and can build things well.. what are the best and cheapest ways to give it more "flex" useing as much stock parts as you can... id also like to streach it out as much as can be done ( on a budget)

thanks in advance for the help...

p/s dose any one know of any good videos showing the top speed of a 55t motor in a tlt?
Dugan661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Ok, here's a couple things to get your brain working.

I have done pretty much the same thing you want to do - built up a TLT into a pretty decent performing crawler using the stock chassis and transmission.

This thread has a couple of my drawings - how to add a belt tensioner to your stock transmission, and how to make up custom length dogbones when you stretch the wheelbase:

what's bad about the TLT tranny?

(using dogbones nessecitates proper link geometry though - there can only be so much suspension "grow" or in other words the linkage can't change the wheelbase more than 3/16" to 1/4" at the most. More than this and you are looking at adapting some Stampede or Maxx driveshafts)

A thread on link construction:

Making Links

Or this is how I made up "roller-links" before I went to a droop set up and mounted my shocks on the lower links. Ignore the roller part and use 1/4" tubing and 6/32 all-thread instead and you have a basic link that is easy to constuct from hardware/LHS parts:

That will get you started - you can learn a LOT more by searching for specific topics on either the TLT page or the General Crawler page.

Good luck with it. Be patient and above all - have fun with it.

Here's my TLT in action - stock chassis and transmission (with lots of modification) It's certainly no threat at a comp, but it's fun to drive:

Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

One of the best, and cheap things you can do is to sand the axle cases smooth on the bottom.

Start off with a dremel, then clean it up with some sandpaper.
USATorque55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #4

thanks alot for the help mike and usa!!

LETS MAKE A FAQ ABOUT ALL THE CHEAP MODS THAT CAN BE DONE FOR THE TLT-1!!!!!

do you guys know any thing about out runners? i was thinking about getting the 55t brushed motor... but for about the same $ i can get this
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...age=1&featured

seeing as i all ready have a bunch of b/l stuff just sitting around i think that i would be better off with that... what are your guys ideas on it?
know of any other cheap brushless motors for a crawler? i have 1/18 and 1/10 escs i can use...

it dosent list the amo draw...watt or kv rating tho... thats the only thing...
but it shoull still have more bottem/ top end then the brushed 55t motors right? im gonna be running it on a 6cell nimh /3s lipo
thanks

Last edited by Dugan661; 06-13-2007 at 01:31 PM.
Dugan661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugan661 View Post
LETS MAKE A FAQ ABOUT ALL THE CHEAP MODS THAT CAN BE DONE FOR THE TLT-1!!!!!
RCCRAWLER tips, cheap tricks / parts guide.

there ya go....

just remember, the search button (top bar, 3rd over from the right...) can be your friend....
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugan661 View Post
im looken for the CHEAPST mods that can be done to this thing...im very handy and can build things well...
Handy with the search and FAQ would be a great start: FAQ: TLT-1 to TLT-Crawler ***NEWBIES READ!!!***

and as Steelcitycrawler said.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
just remember, the search button (top bar, 3rd over from the right...) can be your friend
not to bust chops - but that is good advice also.

Some of these guys have been at this crawling thing for YEARS - the amount of useful information piled up on this site is absolutely STAGGERING.

At this point in time you have to be one intelligent, imaginative, and innovative person to come up with something new and exciting. If you're new to crawling and have questions, I'd bet my paycheck someone has already asked before. The search can be frustrating at times, but it depends on what terms you use (I can recall one guy getting frustrated about getting no results on a search for "stearing")
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

No results for "stearing." That's freakin' hilarious!

I'm using the Stock TLT Tranny and I used Tamiya #53452, it's the TA04 Aluminum Hub Spur Gear for smoother operation and Traxxas Slipper friction Pegs to lock it (#4685). Works good, hardly any loss of power to the wheels although I probably need to do the belt tensioner thing, just haven't felt like pulling apart the whole rig to get to the tranny.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote