Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First Scale TLT Build. with pics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 11:35 AM   #1

Default First Scale TLT Build. with pics

Hi there, I have been reading and searching for a long time and decided to convert my stock tlt to a scale trail rig. The body I am using is a 2004 Ford F150 with a 11.5' wheelbase and about 3" of ground clearance. I built a frame using aluminum stock, bolted and riveted. So far I have the pede tranny mounted and I am in the process of mounting the axles. I have ran into a problem with link length. When I measure it looks like 92mm from center of the ball ends will be perfect. Should I buy some 96mm or build them. It also looks like the links are going to be angled quite a bit. Is this bad. I know most people want them level to the ground. I am going for the scale look not so much as tons of articulation. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think good or bad. I have frame rails the length of the truck and I want to install bumpers on both ends. The pic shows a traxxas link measuring 126mm to center of ball ends. Thanks

Johnsonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
2006 2.2 National Champ

If you're asking about the Traxxas 96mm links, they measure 96mm alone without rod ends. So, they may be too long. Are you at 3" of clearence with the stock tires? Do you plan to keep the stock tires or go bigger? If you plan on going bigger, I'd lower the ride height down about a 1/2".
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

It's pretty easy to make links... here's a link to how http://www.rccrawler.com/customlink.htm
broncoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:24 PM   #4

I plan on using Geolanders but don't have them yet. I just have the stock tires for now. So I should lower the ride hieght at 1/2 inch, with the stock and that will make more clearance when I get new tires, Ok. Is it going to hurt performance being that I will have shorter links say 90mm.

Last edited by Johnsonator; 03-29-2006 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsonator
I plan on using Geolanders but don't have them yet. I just have the stock tires for now. So I should lower the ride hieght at 1/2 inch, with the stock and that will make more clearance when I get new tires, Ok. Is it going to hurt performance being that I will have shorter links say 90mm.
The Geolanders are about a 1/2" bigger in diameter then the stock tires. I would keep the chassis clearence between 2 1/2 to 3". That should be plenty for a scale rig, it'll put your links at less of an angle too. Links under 90mm shouldn't hurt anything.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:42 PM   #6

Thanks, I don't believe I can buy links shorter than 90mm from searching around. I will make some and post pics when done.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

should look good when its finished. if your gonna be making your own links you could use stick welding rod, and the cover it, thats what i did. just my .02
'83 chevy is offline   Reply With Quote