Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Locking Stampede diff(no epoxy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2006, 09:13 AM   #1

Default Locking Stampede diff(no epoxy)

Last night I was messing around with my new Stampede diff trying to figure out a way to lock it. Here is what I have come up with........

Parts/tools

12 - 3mm washers(part# BC6 in screw bag C from tlt kit
Stampede diff parts of course
5/16 drill bit

First put a pin with 3 of the 3mm washers in one of the holes in the diff plate/cover without the nub.

Next take the 5/16 drill bit and by hand twist the bit and shave the nub down until it is the same height as the pin with the 3 washers.

At this point you should be able to place the gears that go on the pins and they should be at the same height. Repeat the same process to the other side of the diff plate and inside the main diff gear.

Now you should be able to start assembling the gears and pins with the washers in proper place.

It should look like this now before you put it all together.

I have not tested it in a working rig but I did put an allen wrench in one of the output shaft holes and turned the spur gear by hand and I was teaking/bending the allen wrench. Basically I'm just shimming the gears so they are all binding together. So I think it should hold up. Oh and no epoxy needed.

Last edited by fatrat496; 03-31-2006 at 09:15 AM.
fatrat496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

wow, that is a neat idea, I will be interested to see how it holds up in the truck when you pound on it!
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:24 AM   #3

Hopefully nothing happens when I pound on it , but if It does I'm going to fill it with quicksteel.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

You can lock the stampede diff even easier than that. All you need to do is open the diff up and take out the two planetry gears that sit the lowest in the diff. Then you take two 3mm nuts and put one under each lower planetry gear so that all the planetry gears sit at the same height. Then you file down the two little raised sections on the top diff case and screw it back together.

Jon
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggle
You can lock the stampede diff even easier than that. All you need to do is open the diff up and take out the two planetry gears that sit the lowest in the diff. Then you take two 3mm nuts and put one under each lower planetry gear so that all the planetry gears sit at the same height. Then you file down the two little raised sections on the top diff case and screw it back together.

Jon

Did you file down the the raised sections inside the main diff? I just tried to make sure I did everything I could so that the planetary gears were in the center and that all 4 planets were touching the output shaft gears the same amount.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

If you look at the pictures then that is exactly how i did it. Just file the raised bits on the cover of the diff
niggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:35 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the info I will be doing this shortly and wondering what I was gonna get into, the search button rocks
rocresq is offline   Reply With Quote