Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: It's 2011, and I'm building a TLT...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #21
Rock Stacker

You guys aren't the only ones! Gotta let the young-'uns know where their roots lie!

Been doing a lot of custom fabrication work these days, Delrin side plates (modding my J2TT chassis), plastic electronics trays, all kinda stuff!
dreadshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Nice rig!
I still miss my J2-TT...
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

still running TLT axles too. a little more "updated" than what your shooting for but still "old school". TLT axles, R2D trany, 55t lathe on 3s lipo (thinkin of changing to 45t for more speed)

the best thing about TLT axles is most people dont know what they are, everytime I run my rig someone is asking me "what are those axles?"..LOL

dhoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post
still running TLT axles too. a little more "updated" than what your shooting for but still "old school". TLT axles, R2D trany, 55t lathe on 3s lipo (thinkin of changing to 45t for more speed)

the best thing about TLT axles is most people dont know what they are, everytime I run my rig someone is asking me "what are those axles?"..LOL

That buggy looks cool.
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:39 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoffroad View Post

I'm runnin a 45t and love it. But I'm only runnin 6cell NiMh...
Old 03-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #26

Just picked up a set of TLTs and an old bender chassis so I'm glad to see this thread this is my second try at crawling my son is going to be 9 so its more of push to get him into it lets keep it going cause I'm going to need help with this build
68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I just bought these from the ROOSTER. Anyone who knows TLT's will see the do-wants in there

Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I saw those for sale... almost jumped on em, but I bought parts to start yet ANOTHER TLT...

Awesome snag
Old 04-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #29
Pebble Pounder

Do work bro. Looks good. I've finally got my two scalers going again. We'll have to meet up for another GTG soon.
seabeejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #30

i got my azz handed to me by a tlt at a comp the other weekend so they are not as outdated as you might think. great rig man. keep up the old school.
rickthejetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #31
RCC Addict

THIS PROJECT IS OVER! well, at least changing directions a bit...

I have decided to abandon the TVP chassis and body, for a Tuber. I remember a while back seeing all the TCS Eclipse builds when that chassis was first introduced. One always stood out in particular: Creepy's! I picked up his chassis for a decent price from the for sale section. Search for his build in the AX-10 forum for a more detailed description, but the panels will not be zip-tied on. Instead, RCP tabs have been welded in place, and the panels bolt on. A small feature, but one thing I LOVE.

I also loved his choice of paint for the body panels. Pactra Firey Oranged with a black backer. So, needless to say, I've got supplies and paint to re-inact his panels on the way. The chassis is sporting white panels at the moment. They'll stay for mock-up. Once it's built, I'll tear it all back apart, and paint the chassis.

I've made more progress than this, but here's a few pics...

And, I had an idea to replicate the battery plate I made for my old TLT:

I'm planning on switching up the wheels and tires as well. I'm waiting on shocks (I want a sprung rig, so the Losi's wont be used) but expect updates as soon as I get off my duff and order shocks.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:15 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

oh the memories...
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Small Update

For starters, it's Friday. And that means I'll stay up late, and attempt to not be sober alot.

I started off the night with this:

I drank about half of it, and almost threw up... I guess my taste buds have changed since highschool... Now, I prefer this:

AH! Much better! Now, let's play with tires!

I buy most of my parts used, and I had 2 full sets of wheels and tires sitting around. One set had good wheels with less-than-desirable tires, and the other set had a basically new set of rovers on crap-tastic wheels. Me, being the genious I am, decided to make 1 good set with what I had... it went a little something like this:

Both fronts and rears are 2.2 Axial 8-Hole wheels in chrome. They've been narrowed ALOT, though I'm not too sure how. They were weighted, and had good screw holes. With different hardware, they were perfect for this build.

Showing the narrowness:

The foams are 1/8 buggy (possibly truggy) foams that have been narrowed, and cut up. I love the way they stiffen the tread of the Rovers, while still allowing sidewall flex

Orange:

The previous owner of the wheels included a nifty little weight system for up front. It seems like 3 washers glud together, with the outer washer being notched. It fits the wheels like a glove! Not too fond of the looks though, so I left em off for now

I know, I'm a tease

More later tonight, or tomorrow...
Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Finally made it across town to my dad's, and got some materials for the battery plate

It's basically a piece of aluminum strap, cut to about 4 inches, drilled mounting holes, and I cut clearance for the shocks in the rear...

Approx. 4 inches

I used a TLT Servo mount as a tempelate for the holes

I still need to cut out material behind the servo. I'm going to mirror-image it to the other side to keep things looking good, and because I use 2 shocks in the front...

more later
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

I still run TLT axles in my sportsman...and am often the center of a few jokes about the age of them at our comps.

Awesome build!
Jeepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:19 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

I'm still running TLT axles on a DIY BMVII torsion chassis. It's really interesting to take the crawler out on the rocks with all of the Axial and Losi crawlers and then hear everyone start buzzing when I take the body off. Most have NO CLUE what they are looking at. When I tell them that it has TLT axles, a Duratrax Evader Pro transmission, Stampede driveshafts, HPI wheels and the chassis is made from cutting board and piano wire, they get that glazed over look. Then, when I climb up and over a rock that they can barely get their front wheels on, they begin to realize the power of old school . Having over 3.5" of GC helps quite a bit.

Recently, I've done some "updating" and added BTA steering, gone Lipo and added Rovers. This thing is virtually unstoppable now.

I'm glad to see that the TLTs still have some love out there. I think everyone should have to build at least ONE crawler from scratch to see how easy they have it nowadays. Might make some good drivers even better.

bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:48 AM   #37
RCC Addict

Rig looks AWESOME! I love TLT's, and home fabricated parts. I agree, building from scratch is pretty much the only way to go.

Your pinion axle scare the bejeesus outta me...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, Grob. It was a real shame when Tamiya quit making the TLT axles. And, there's really something to be said about knowing every single nut, bolt, fitting and washer on your rig. Puts you "in tune" with your truck.

And my pinion angle scared me at first as well. But, ever since I've had the steel yokes on it, I have yet to pop a driveshaft. But, with that said, I would LOVE for someone to find a pair of clocked axle Cs laying around that they want to sell to me or to have someone start making them again. A 15-degree clock on my front axle sure would be nice.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:07 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Clocked C's would make a huge difference! I remember back when the BMV chassis were all the rage, alotta people made a "wedge" that would install between the BMV plate, and the axle... Thought it might work alright for the rear?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I have contacted someone about possibly machining me a set of clocked Cs. As for the wedge, I might be wrong but I think I was the first one to put a wedge on the rear axle. In fact, I still have the original wood wedge on the rear axle now.