Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: It's 2011, and I'm building a TLT...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default It's 2011, and I'm building a TLT...

Remember the good ol' days of crawling? Back when TLT prevailed, dig was never around, and the only MOA trucks were Clods? Well, I dedicate this build the remembering those times, and to all the fun times I had building a simple truck that just simply ran. This truck will have no dig, no MOA, no fancy bodiless chassis... just simple, somewhat outdated, quality parts

I've already started building:

I started with a chassis I got a while back. All I know about it is that it's made from carbon-fiber, and it uses a DNA skid. The shocks are Losi's, and the (lower) links are from TCS.

I chose Axial beadlocks for 3 reasons: I'm familiar with em, they're cheap, and when it's all said and done, I want this reg to be reliable. Sure I could have gone with a set of Pede wheels, but there's something re-assuring about having beadlocks...

I still have plenty to do/order. The wheelbase is at 13" and I want to move it in, even if it's just a little. I'm not really worried about comp specs, as much as looks and making sure it works... The servo I have on there is just for mock-up... and the body isn't mounted. A drivetrain and electronics would be nice as well...

updates soon (hopefully)
-Greg
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Hellz yeah, 2006 FTW!

Maybe it's time for a nostalgia class.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
MUCH agreed
Old 02-05-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
Release your anger..

Those ain't rock claws.

ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkTank View Post
Those ain't rock claws.

yeh... This will have a bit of "modernized" technology. I couldn't bring myself to skimp in alot of areas... The tires and wheels being one of em...

Oh well, it's somewhat of a tribute... I just wanna keep the idea of simplicity alive in a realm outside of scalers
Old 02-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

hell ya!!! still rocking tlts

joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
Colt Python/SR9c

I agree.. I will be building a TLT again shortly also.. I have moabs and mashers w/ BB's still in them

But I have to agree with your choice of tire. While we may have a slight disadvantage to start, no reason to already kill us but not running a decent tire

I just need to find some CF to use to cut out this BULU 2 chassis
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

Cracking thread, good to see the TLT's not dead, I'm slowly building mine using a Slingshot frame, I guess I'll have to get the camera out soon
Chiefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #9

I'm just starting to look for a chassis or make one for a TLT build.
grcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyf View Post
hell ya!!! still rocking tlts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations View Post
I agree.. I will be building a TLT again shortly also.. I have moabs and mashers w/ BB's still in them

But I have to agree with your choice of tire. While we may have a slight disadvantage to start, no reason to already kill us but not running a decent tire

I just need to find some CF to use to cut out this BULU 2 chassis
Perfect theory on the tires, my thought EXACTLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
Cracking thread, good to see the TLT's not dead, I'm slowly building mine using a Slingshot frame, I guess I'll have to get the camera out soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcrawler View Post
I'm just starting to look for a chassis or make one for a TLT build.
Glad to hear TLT's are still seein love, keep it up guys! I'll more than likely update the beginning of next week. I've got front upper links, and whatnot coming, and, I cut the chassis
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

so... tlt's are out dated?
bummer.

hows the torque twist?

lol had to look after the title lol
murdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock View Post
so... tlt's are out dated?
bummer.
It is a little hard to find parts. but they are there in people's hands. I have several sets that I am going to continue to use until the is no parts left. I do not do comps too often just fun runs and they are great axels for that. With good tires and parts I can crawl with the best.

I have been redoing my old cars the RBX has been used for the last 4 or 5 years and has all the up dated parts. My TLT scaler needs a lot of work

TLT_-1 Scale

New outfit

Some parts are still at RCP.
http://rcpcrawlers.com/home.php?cat=17

Oh I do not want to sell my axle parts. FYI

Good to see others using the old axels. Bravo!

Last edited by RandyatBBY; 02-09-2011 at 09:15 AM.
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Small update, but I'm lovin where this is goin

Re-worked the steering linkages... Allthread covered in aluminum tubing with Revo ends. Been running this way since I got my first TLT, it's tried and true, and I like the way it looks. (Servo is still just for mock-up)

New upper links as well. Axial ends, and Axial threaded post (60mm I believe)

Here's the front of the chassis. I trimmed up the chassis a bit, which gave the shocks plenty of clearance. I mounted the shocks inward so they'd have a fighting chance of clearing the tires. A TLT post braced up the front perfectly

Another front-end shot. I might eventually need to address the pinion angle, it might be a bit too steep, but I'll let it be for now.

Here's the rear end. I need an upper link mount (I'm thinking either a truss, or a Dinky-Link...)

And here's the rear of the chassis. Since I don't need to worry about clearance of the tires/suspension, I just mounted the shocks to the outside of the chassis (cutting the chassis was a PITA...). I'll eventually either get grey spacers or de-anodize the green ones. Again, a TLT post fit perfectly with the body mounts and provided the perfect brace. When I originally got the chassis it had 4 delrin braces, but that was 3 years back... Well, I found one, and threw it in for good measure

After I get new electronics for my scaler, I'll put my Mamba Max and HS645MG in this. I got Elite 1500 6cell saddle packs waiting, and I'll be using my DX3. Of course, I'll still need a trans and a motor as well.

I'm not sure when I'll update again... hopefully sooner than later

Thanks for the kind words
-Greg
Old 02-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by grob23 View Post
yeh... This will have a bit of "modernized" technology. I couldn't bring myself to skimp in alot of areas... The tires and wheels being one of em...

Oh well, it's somewhat of a tribute... I just wanna keep the idea of simplicity alive in a realm outside of scalers
I concede that one, you have a point. I may have to go through my box of TLT junk and make something out of it. Thanks alot.
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Hellz yeah, 2006 FTW!

i swear ive heard that before.....

Grob23, you sir are my hero. i cannot bring myself to sell off my last set of fully built TLTs.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:20 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Update:

I've got this thing done. Except for mounting the transmission. The mounting holes on the Axial transmission stripped... talk about a dime holdin' up a dollar

I've mounted the batteries. I just used velcro on the side of the servo and on top of the axle case. I had to bend the suspension stays to make it work, but work it does.

I made an electronics plate from an old DVD case and got it zip-tied in place on the front links. I routed the servo wire underneath, and gave a small opening on the side for it to snake back up top. This will put both the servo and the ESC wires side by side... I'm going for somewhat clean wiring...

And, I finished up the rear with an axle truss. E-Z Designs Axle truss II to be exact... Upper links are allthread with Axial and Stampede ends covered in aluminum. Works perfect.

You might be able to tell from the pics, but I moved the upper links up on the chassis. My lowers were hitting my uppers, and binding, and this fixed it perfect. I didn't really try, but I managed to mount everythging up front. All the (moveable) weight is over or right behind the front axle...

I can't wait to drive this dang thing... I'll post finished pics once I get a new tranny case... someday
Old 02-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

That brings back some memories Good to see the old TLT's in a comp rig.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:53 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

nickel metal saddle packs lol ive made my share of those .... i almost forgot batteries still came like that
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Keep it alive

I (re)built this last year for old time's sake...

Badmuthatrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
RCC Addict

exactly what I like to see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmuthatrucker View Post
Keep it alive

I (re)built this last year for old time's sake...