Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Grunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default The Grunt

Well I got started on the pre-assemble of my TLT build. First off lets get the stats out of the way.

TLT Axles
RD XL-4 Chassis
Stealth Transmission
Revo Shafts
55t Integy Lathe Motor
MOPED VR16 ESC
Traxxas TQ3 Radio
Tower Pro MG 955 Servo
2/3 AA 6 Cell Pack
2.2 Pro Line Moabs
RPM Wheels
Traxxas Shocks

This is my first TLT build coming from a NN based Clod Super crawler. Please feel free to critique my progress and remember this is only the pre-assemble stage. I plan to tear it all down and do final assemble after I've finished fabricating all of the necessary items.

So first I preceded to build my TLT axles, added bearings, and locked the diffs w/ Shoe Goo. I then took some measurements and built a set of links from 6/32 threaded rod sleeved in 1/4 aluminum. As soon as I get my drill press, I am planning to switch to Delrin links.

I then mounted the shocks, and attached the servo plates. The chassis is a prototype built by RD 400 and it is made from cutting board material. The entire chassis weighs in at 4.8 oz's and is incredibly light and strong. I modded the servo plates included w/ the chassis slightly to make room to mount my 2/3 AA packs over the front axle.

Next I disassembled the Stealth tranny, added bearings and locked the ball diff. I mounted it in the chassis in the stand up position. This allows the best drive shaft angles and still places the motor very low on the chassis. I then started to shorten the Revo sliders (these things are massive!) and I'm waiting for a smaller spur gear so that I can finish installing them.

I locked out the rear steer using some of the hardware from the TLT kit. This is a very simple and clean method of locking out the steering.

Still waiting on my wideners from The Crawler Store (something forgot until it was time to mount the tires) so I single narrowed my wheels, drilled them for ventilation, narrowed and cut my foams in the normal "star" pattern, added 8 oz's of weight to each front wheel and mounted the 2.2 Moabs.

Still waiting on the spur gear, aluminum servo arm, softer springs for the front shocks, and the axle wideners. Also need to mount and paint the Crowd Pleazer body, install the electronics, do my wiring and I'm sure I've missed a few things.

At the moment the wheel base is 12 1/4 inches, width w/o the wideners is 9 1/4 inches and the chassis has just under 3 inches of clearance.

Pics will be up soon. Thanks!

Dez

Last edited by dezfan; 04-06-2006 at 12:00 AM.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

sounds awsome, cant wait for pics.
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'll tell you from experience, Joe...8oz of weight in each tire is ALOT! Especially when it decides to go head over tail down the slopes at Capen. A LOT of stuff tends to get broken. Plus, it puts a lot of strain on the motor and I personally feel that you lose a lot of grunt when climbing.

I'd cut back to about 3 oz per wheel (all four) and give it a try.

Did you get the 2/3A batteries that John Robert has? I got enough to do two packs. I figure that if they can hold up to the Beaver and the outrunner, surely they will work dandy with my meager 55T.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:18 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

8oz's a little to much huh? I will dump about half of it and give it a shot! The 2/3 AA batteries are the cells I purchased from JRH at the last weekly crawl. !I'll try to post the pics again!:? Thanks for the input!
Attached Images

Last edited by dezfan; 04-06-2006 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Few more pics!
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I like it alot, when will it be hitting some rocks?
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Very interesting chassis. I'll be interested to see how it does on the rocks. Hey, if you don't have plans and are game for a road trip, the guys are getting together at Cosmo (I can give you directions if you need them) to have a practice session on Saturday at Noon. It's a completely different style of crawling from Capen. I'd love to see how the TLT does.

I'd first try 4oz of weight in each tire, and go from there. When I had some 1" fender washers as rock rings, each tire/wheel weighed 10.8 oz. I never had any issue with torque twist when climbing, but it really seemed to labor too much going up slopes. The Punisher doesn't have ANY weight in the tires right now, but I need at least a couple of ounces. The weight would have helped me get over the tree roots on the first course.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

how you bolting the drive shafts to the stealth ?
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the input. I already took out half of the wight in the wheels. Got my wideners from TCS already(Kevin has awesome service) and I've finished sleeving and polishing all of the front links.

I'm going to take a break and do the rear later today. I hope to be able to go to Cosmo this weekend. Capen was awesome last week and I am excited about seeing Cosmo! Hope to see you there!
Old 04-06-2006, 01:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted
how you bolting the drive shafts to the stealth ?
When I get the shafts trimmed to the proper length and a smaller spur, I'll post some pics of how I did it. Super simple, still need to see how it wolds up on the rocks, but I hope that it isn't a problem. The only problem I see is the Revo ends just being to big. If that is the case I will use Jato shafts!
Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Looks good, let me know as soon as you run it. And your mod on the front top link mount...

See were I run my 2/3 A pack...

Beat ya to the idea, I was setting your truck up to run all the links the same length. With my home made trans I have alot more room front to back in my chassis
RD400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Looks really good guys
The black dye looks like it worked well.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

lookin hot man! I will be out on the rocks tommorow for sure. Probably just runnin the Beaver like normal, but it is bombproof so I gots no worries. What time are you getting to Cosmo?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Sorry, I'm on lock down! Wife has me going to Independence for some class she is taking! Hope to be there next week.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Horrible build, WOAH! I hate it!

inside joke.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Well I finished pre-assembly on the Grunt. Tore it all down, re-assembled everything and now all I need to be rock ready is a spur gear for the Stealth and a an aluminum servo horn.

I finished the links, got my wideners in and installed them, Painted the body, shortened and installed the Revo shafts, installed the electronics, wired the motor, installed my rock rings from Montana Scale Designs (thanks Moger) and finished the battery mount. Some let me know what you think of the Grunt. Here are some pics. Thanks for looking!
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

looks great, but get them steering links on top of the nuckles!!!!.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

More pics of the Grunt!
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2006, 10:33 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

The truck looks great. Looks like I'm going to be in trouble at the next comp. You and Greg are starting to make me nervous. I guess my winning streak has to come to an end sometime.

Kelly
KSchweikert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSchweikert
The truck looks great. Looks like I'm going to be in trouble at the next comp. You and Greg are starting to make me nervous. I guess my winning streak has to come to an end sometime.

Kelly
Wouldn't worry just yet (at least about me) as I am a stone cold rookie when it comes to the 2.2's! I haven't even had a chance to test the Revo shafts (my only real worry) yet. And i still need to tune the shocks as to what springs I need to run and what weight oil I need. I will be at Capen this Saturday. I'll bring the Grunt and give it a shake down run. You can help me tune it so that at the may Comp. I can kick your butt! Thanks, see you Saturday!

Dez