Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: A TLT Design You've Never Seen....unless your Grover

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Very cool! Love the mini vids!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2006, 11:59 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default I've got an extra 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover
rockwerks, I would like to extend an invitation to our next event on may 21st at south mountains summit. If your tlt is not complete come on down anyways, meet the group, and see what we are all about.

Chad-

Mike I sure wish I could view those vids(work computer locks them out), and see if the suspension is misbehaving or if it was just that wicked undercut playing its tricks. If you all think that this link position is a compromize try no rear suspension at all(I love it). Did you get any pics showing my active suspension Mike?

Chad-
rockwerks, there are other PARC guys in Flagstaff. Go to Northland Hobbies, the owner and his son are crawlers. Maybe you can carpool. If your TLTs not up and running I've got a couple of extra 2.2s.

Sorry Chad, I didn't get any pics of your new suspension set up. I wasn't sure if you wanted me dropping another one of your bombs on everyone. Tony might have got some. No rear suspension, that will get rid of torque twist !!
azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Thanks MicroGoat !!!

Awesome idea for the skid plate/motor guard microgoat !!! I use RPM slipper covers on my T3 and B4 and love them. I've gotten so crawler I forgot where a Pede trans comes from.

I had to notch it to clear the chassis beam and around the drive yolk, it let me squeeze a 90t spur under the hood.

I haven't snagged the pinion on any rocks yet, but I've had to pick twigs and blades of dried grass out of the pinion teeth a few times. They haven't stopped me but it makes noise are causes wear spots on the spur. This should take care of that too.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:56 PM   #44
RCC Addict

what tools did ya have to use to make chassis?
Got Rocks? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:33 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
what tools did ya have to use to make chassis?
I rough cut them with a hacksaw, then finish them with a file and scotchbite. The only BIG tool I use is a drill press. Free drilling the holes for the mounts at the axles would be tricky to get straight.

I don't have a mill or lathe, just a drill press, hacksaw, dremel, a pair of calipers, and a bunch of files. Patience is your best tool.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 AM   #46
RCC Addict

thanks man guess i gota get some stuff yeah ill have to free drill it no drill press...yet really good chassis design its so simple its stupid that is in a good way
Old 04-28-2006, 02:00 AM   #47
Rock Crawler

Nice, It looks clean and perfect you definitely have skills and patience.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 09:43 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Default Did you here that clicking???

Rover's chassis has been crawling flawlessly !! I've had a few screws need loctite and cracked some lexan, but nothing other than that.

That's until the year old, recycled parts, used and abused axles spoke up. While working this nasty rock face out at Recker with Mitch, Rover's rear axle was clicking and poping. Not the O.K. kind or the not so bad kind, it was the the stop crawling kind.

I kept crawling

One of the spider arms broke a rode around the inner case.

I've tried several ways of locking a TLT diff. Silly Putty ( limited slip), hot glue ( heavier limited slip), JB (ground into grey dust), and Tamiya's way to lock a 1/14 semi diff (same as TLT).

Here's what I'm trying now...locked spool.

I had a hard time drilling and tapping those holes !!!! The heads of the screws just clear, after some filing. It's super soild but I don't trust it. The three 2mm screws are still doing too much work and I think they'll give next. I can order one at D&D so I'm not too worried. I post an update after some crawl time.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #49
RCC Addict

mine did same thing the 3rd time i drove it all i did was take the metal that was broke out and put it together still works great! i locked the axle via the gear way:-P
Old 05-03-2006, 04:13 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

That thing is absolutely brilliant
Love it
Rikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:29 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

i like this truck.....

alot.
Inclodneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #52
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Rocks?
all i did was take the metal that was broke out and put it together still works great!
Same here. Only two of the spider ears left, three gears locked together. I drove it many more times without trouble. Then I rebuilt it with all new parts, and used two additional gears inside. Five gears total.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote