Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Hummer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tamiya Hummer

Picked this up off ebay for <$100, has wonderful amounts of articulation...yea, right. The body is awesome and will be used for a tube chassis possibly if I can find axles that will fit under it and keep the wheels within the fender area(like how it is in the pics). I still need to paint the body and put the rest of the details on it(like turn signals, hooks, etc.)

Running gear:
Hitec 615mg servo
LRP F1 Super Reverse ECU
JR XR3 3-ch. radio and reciever
Stock 540 motor, thought about putting my extra orion pilot motor in it till I drove it, its too damn fast stock :(

Crazy articulation: Its sitting on a Novak Millenium Pro charger btw

Ground clearance: (AA battery)

For the hell of it, most of the rest of my r/c family (minus my bruiser and plane):

gots_a_sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Tamiya Hummer

what are the two 10th scale on roads are they tc3's
oh yea and what compound are those tires they look like they could wrap around anything
trapt1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

they are both rs4's, ones a pro 2(electric) and the other is a nitro one
Old 11-30-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

that tamiya hummer wqould be cool with some 2.2 proline dirt haugs and some lower gearing
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

hey , gots_a_sol how do you like that hummer? my little brother wants to buy one to bomb around the house and yard with. and he wants a cheap scale truck so this thing looks perfect.
does it seem like it is durable at all , and do you think its possible to put different tires/rims on it. cause i think he wants to drive it in the mud and i dont think that those tires will grip to well in the mud.
how capable is it in stock form , is it like really bad or more like a stock tlt i know it isnt gonna do rock climbing but mabey dirt hill climbs and stuff.
but yea let me know your thoughts on how you like the truck ,thanks
yoda316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I wouldn't change anything, you will kill the scale look.
CrawlinForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I haven't broken anything yet. :P The stock tires are REALLLY hard unfortuantily(spelling) and lose grip because of it. The truck does use a standard hex drive for the wheels though so you could put some kind of aftermarket wheels/tires on there.

If you get the kit version, lock the diffs WHILE building the truck. I didn't do this the first time around thinking it wouldn't be that bad, yea, right, it wouldn't go anywhere when it left the paved road. The rear diff comes out with 4 screws, so I locked that one, front is still open. Big improvement with just the rear locked. Going to lock the front when I go back to install my ball bearings that were back-ordered.

It climbs pretty well for what it is actually, I was climbing my waterfall around my little fish pond and it did alright, I didn't really want to push it and risk falling into the pond though. I needs to be geared down, badly. The motor mount needs to be modified though because how its setup you can only run down to a 16 tooth pinion. Maybe I'll try rewinding one of my spare motors to get more torque out of it...

Still looking for axles that will fit under the body, Bruiser axles are too wide might buy a VMG and see how it's axles will fit.

*edit* not related, but I picked up 3 of those 1:6 new bright hummers on eBay for $60 shipped total, $30 for the trucks and $30 for shipping might fix one or 2 and give them for a x-mas presents...
Old 12-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

try some jero tires ,they work pretty good.
Bigbadwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You could slap some TLT or bruiser axles under the hummer and run some pajero-ish sized tires to keep it "scale" in size... But hummers have independent suspension all the way around...
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I already tried bruiser axles, they are wider than the body, I want to try to keep the tires under the body like how it is now.

p.s. I know real hummers have independent suspension...
Old 12-09-2004, 08:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

id keep the indipendent suspension
Old 12-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
RCC Addict

or u could make the stock axles and make them solid like the maxx axles
Old 12-09-2004, 08:43 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I am probably going to keep it with the independent suspesion, just spent like 6 hours cutting the stock tires, 288 cut off lugs later, I am satisfied

I locked the front diff by the way, truck climbs extremely well for what it is now, I was crawling around on the 1:1 car parts in my garage with it since it was dark and raining outside

now what to do with the tube frame I was building for it...I know! txt-1 based tuber coming up
Old 12-10-2004, 11:31 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

here is wha the tires look like now:

When I put them back on the wheels, I didn't put the inside bead back where it was suppose to be to help 'narrow' the tire a bit, made it slightly taller and skinnier, not a huge difference though
Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Tires look good man, Think I might have to get one of these to bash around... Looks like fun
MGCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Took it out today during a lull in the huge rain storm we've been having for the past day and half.

It did really good on the wet rocks, though I managed to put my esc into thermal shutdown, time for a lathe motor or to rewind one of the extra motors I have laying around
Old 12-11-2004, 02:41 PM   #17

I used to have one of those....I locked it front and rear and geared it down(motor) I ended up breaking 3 out of 4 axle shafts in one day......ended up selling it to start my maxx crawler

it was sure fun while it lasted though
Rocrash is offline   Reply With Quote