Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The Nanotube

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Cough cough. I know of a particular place where he has experience with some saaaaaaaaahweet driving moves.
Yyyyeeaah. Um, don't think I'll try that in the testing stage. The domestic rockpile is closer to the tools, and the computer
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2006, 04:42 PM   #22
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Why is it, when I finally have something worthy to contribute to a topic, somebody steals my thunder? I was gonna say that a Stealth tranny would work awesome. I'll have to look at mine, but if I remember right, there's some mounting holes that you could run a rod straight through both bulkheads and it would strengthen it up a ton; if the mounting holes are in the right place.

First you and JRH brainwash us with the brushless and now I gotta somehow duplicate this? WTF!

But I must say (and I quote) that that thing looks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
...as rough as a corn cob up the azz
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:46 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

I never said it was pretty I never even said it works; I'll find out as soon as the battery charges.

Then we can start cloning it
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM   #24
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Dang. This just kickstarted a combo of a few ideas in mah head. I wonder if it would hold up to multiple motors...
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:59 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

I'm thinking an actual tube for the backbone would be a lot stiffer, too. And not much heavier.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:34 PM   #26
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
I never said it was pretty I never even said it works; I'll find out as soon as the battery charges.

Then we can start cloning it

Wait a sec... are you saying that something that YOU may have built something that DOESN'T WORK? You, "Mr. Make a Silk Purse Out of a Sow's Ear"?

Blasphemy!
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:42 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'm not saying it now Thing crawls like a crack baby, and clings to sidehills like a psychotic ex-girlfriend.

There is a problem with the bond between the epoxy and the CF. It's beginning to come apart at the rear of the center section, near the tranny's attachment point. "Real" CF/epoxy structures are autoclaved, baked under pressure so the epoxy permeates the fiber instead of just laying on top of it. That's why it's A- so strong and B- so expensive. And C-why you can't bootyfab it

However, there's so much promise in this design, that I'm going to go ahead with a 2.0, if I have to make it out of cardboard, balsa wood or sheer willpower held together with dreams.

Gonna surf on over to carbonfibertubeshop.com and see what kind of CF goodies they have before I go that route, though.

Last edited by microgoat; 04-28-2006 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:09 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I'm really going to have to try out this new design. It looks very promising!
TylerV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

did you vaccuum bag the carbon while it cured? also you could machine T-s out of alum that the carbon tubes slide into so that you dont adversely effect the carbons integrity by drilling holes in it, this way you could make the aluminum blocks into brackets, it would add a few ounces but it would work
peej410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Version 2.0 will be a tubular backbone, with smaller tubes coming out to support the links. Should be much stronger and won't twist at all. If it doesn't look like crap I might have a couple for sale.

And no, I didn't vacuum-bag it. I'll try that with 2.0
Old 04-27-2006, 07:40 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Is the backbone the same dia. as the shock mounts? If not you could always drill/dremel a hole through to stiffen it, and minimize the amount of the CF tape you might need... or you could fishmouth it if it is the same dia., for a little extra strength...

_blake
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

The backbone will be about 3/8 OD woven CF tube, so there'll be plenty of room for the smaller tubes to bond to. The small tubes will pass through the backbone, and I'll bond the whole mess together with CA and a neater epoxy job. I think an aluminum sleeve over the small tubes (monodirectional CF) rather than wrapping with CF tape) would be just as strong and look a hell of a lot better.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like a plan!

-Blake
chaotic_life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Hummm....I used to grow carbon nanotubes in college and they didnt look anything like that.

Nice truck!!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I started thinking about the weight thing. Goat stated that the Nano Tube was 72 ozs. w/o the body or shafts. While my chassis is a little heavier (3.8 ozs) the Stealth is much lighter. The TOTAL weight of the Grunt ready to crawl in only 79 ozs. And I'm working on reducing it. So before I build a new chassis I think I'm just going to lower the overall height of the Grunt a bit and play w/ it for a while. Plus I can watch Goat build v2.0 and see what is working and what isn't. This should prove to be interesting. Good luck Goat, I'll be watching.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 08:46 PM   #36

In this application I think it would be beneficial to wrap the CF fabric so that you have bias fibers to help with torsional load (45 degrees from horizontal if looking from the side). Longitudinal fibers should also be used to help with bending. Also, both vacuum bagging and making sure you really push the epoxy into the fiber will help with wetting. Wetting of the fiber is crucial in composites. It is the median that transfers load through shear from one fiber to the next when one fails, as well as preventing delam. Without it you just have a tough composite that breaks, not good in this application.
Dixon Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I've got a 5-foot length of 3/8 OD tube headed my way. We'll see how much it takes to get one good 8-inch chassis I'd like to get it right the first time, $52.33 with shipping but as K B says...
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Nice idea with the CF. Hmmm, and the wheels start rolling!
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 12:51 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Dang Micro, that design is insane! So simple but very trick at the same time. Can't wait to see how the new one come out.
offroadford4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B
You, "Mr. Make a Silk Purse Out of a Sow's Ear"?
Wait til you see what I can do with a silk purse