Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default First Build

heres a teaser.....scroll down to see more pics of it all put together

Hey there, I'm new to the site here and new to the whole RC crawling scene. I am just starting myfirst truck, a TLT for use in 2.2 unlimited class. I got a chassis from Bluemeanie which looks pretty awesome. Other than that I picked up some tires today and a sweet body earlier this week. I have most of the electronics and other goodies hanging out on other vehicles, but still need a TLT kit for those axles. Then I'll fab up some links. With all the expert builds so well documented on this site, I think it will go smoothly, but wish me luck.

I'm mainly posting to show off the cool body I found at one of the LHS here in Portland. It's a Team Associated baja toyota body, I haven't ever seen one of these as a crawler before so I was pretty stoked to pick it up. I did the paint job and am happy with how it turned out. I think the fenders will get cut way back for clearence issues. What do you all think?

I will keep the post updated as I build so you all can see how it turns out, then I'll be at some of the comps around Portland, when it's done. I can't wait these things look so fun! Here's some pics!

Last edited by Andrizzle; 06-05-2006 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spelling not good
Andrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Looks like a good start, The Toyota body is cool, I have only scene a couple of those. Post up some more pics as you make more progress

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you're going for the unlimited class, aka comps, you'll probably want some better tires. Moabs and Masher 2k's are probably the most popular. From what I've read those Swamp Dawgs are only good for scale looking appearance.

Cool body though. Keep us updated!
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default rubber

Yeah I've seen mixed reviews on these tires, but they look damn cool. I'll throw some of the masher 2ks on some other wheels for comp crawling. These swamp dawgs do feel pretty sticky though with the foam modifications I have done. We'll see, I can never seem to only have one set of wheels/tires for any vehicle of mine. Heres a shot of my chassis w/ stickers and my foam cut job.:-P

Last edited by Andrizzle; 05-08-2006 at 01:21 PM. Reason: wrong pic
Old 05-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I'd like to see how that body works for you. I painted one up, but decided to put it on a rally-cross type rig instead, as I'd have to cut too much away for tire clearance, and mine was already cracking at the window edges (very thin lexan)

Looks sweet though, can't wait to see it built up.
sybir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Lookin good....
ColquittCustom405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Looking good. I remember toyo running one of those yota bodies...Project "Cletus" is here....

Yeah swamp dawgs arent all that great of a tire, and personally i think they work best with no foam, but if your going to be competing get your self a set of masher 2k's. I also have a bm chassis, Mine performs very well.

Check out --> orcrc forum for the rest of us oregon geeks, if you havent already.
TerribleOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Default More parts

It's been a while but I have gotten a few more parts despite my tighter than a dolphin butthole budget. Here's a pair of pics with some MGT shocks installed. I'm not sure I like these, they seem a bit stiff, but the price was to good to pass them up. I think I'm going to go with some Associated t3/4 shocks. Any input on this? Just a little update, I know I'm slow but I want to do it right so that's how it goes.

Old 05-24-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybir
I'd like to see how that body works for you. I painted one up, but decided to put it on a rally-cross type rig instead, as I'd have to cut too much away for tire clearance, and mine was already cracking at the window edges (very thin lexan)

Looks sweet though, can't wait to see it built up.
I have that body also waiting to be painted but i'm to lazy to mask stuff off. good luck with the build
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Default Update

so I took a few pics this afternoon between periods of rain. The first is an updated pic of the body with some updated decals and the chassis mounted.

Next is a picture of the sweet bedliner I hooked up. It is some stair tread grippy stuff I picked up at ACE the other day.

Heres a pic of how I set up my shock mounts with some fuel tubing. I think I stole the idea from badger, but I'm notsure, it was from someone on the forum for sure. Mine look better than any I've seen though

Last but not least is just a shot of the chassit so far. All I added are some parma body mounts and the shock mounts.

Hope you all like.

Last edited by Andrizzle; 05-27-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-28-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Default progress

So I got a nother task crossed off the list today and finished up my wheels. I have 4 Oz of stick on "tape-a-weight" in each wheel to help stick to the rocks. I painted the HPI wheels rally green to match the body and painted the RRs black. I'm pretty stoked on the results. Now I just need some axles to put em on to make my chassis a roller.

Heres a few pics......

Old 06-04-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Default Big jump

So I got a lot done this weekend on my crawler. I got the axles all built up and on the chassis. Then got the last pede tranny they had at tammies(what timeing) threw that in and now it is almost finished. I also snaged a servo and motor while I was there. All I need now are the drivelines, which I could not find anywhere in portland this weekend, so I ordered them up. I am really happy with how it turned out, the wheel base is right at 12.5" and it rides about 3.75" to bottom of chassis. The shocks are way stiff but some softer springs and oil should help out. I also need to order up some axle wideners to keep the springs from rubbing on the tires. I can't wait to get it running! I took a bunch of pics, I hope you all like, tell me what you think.

And heres just a teaser of it wearing a rubicon body for my LST
Old 06-04-2006, 06:52 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

that looks sweet! how bad does the body rub on the tires? and is the chassis set up 50/50 or 60/40?
Crawlsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Default ..

The chassis is 40/60, and with the stiff springs the tires don't rub to bad, but once I get some soft ones I figure it will be a problem. I might get another body as I don't want to butcher this one.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I love it with the rubicon body
CrawlAZ is offline   Reply With Quote