Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Vertigo Center Diff Locker & Maxx Sliders *NEW PICS 1-7-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Vertigo Center Diff Locker & Maxx Sliders *NEW PICS 1-7-

Vertigo Performance has designed a solid center diff that accepts Traxxas Stampede slider shafts. I think it will also work with a Maxx parts for beefier sliders or modded MIP CVDs. As soon as I get it, it's going into the P2300 chassis.

Another option for shafts will be to use the HPI nitro RS4 3 diff output cups and the HPI electric RS4 MT 86mm dogbones.
BoilermakerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2004, 01:20 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Woohoo! My Vertigo Performance Locker Diff is on it's w

hey, do you have the link for it? thanks
3L3ectricracer135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

That Vertigo guy PMed me telling me about his locker. It looks like a great product........too bad I laid out my wheelbase around the 86mm dogbones from HPI. Where was he when I was building my truck?? :P

Oh well, I'm pleased with what I have. Boilermaker, how much progress have you made on your F-350? Can't wait to see pics of the finished project.
CWDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Here's the link:
http://www.vertigoperformance.com/pr...txt1/1108.html

CWDU

I sent Clayton a link to your thread...

You'll need two more HPI cups, but it will work with your HPI dogbones. It's one of the installation options. The Stampede sliders will work and I'm going to test the Maxx sliders once mine arrives. The Maxx sliders will need to be modded, but it's an easy mod using an X-acto knife and 3mmx6mm and 4mmx6mm set screws. I also belive the MIP CVDs can be modded to work as well, but that will an expensive axle option!

Check out my gallery, pics of the body are in there along with the wheels and tires on the stock wheelbase. Just waiting on Maxx shocks, JR XS3 transmitter, and the Vertigo locker to show up to finish the truck.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Very nice hop up there. What's nice is those who want sliders on a very slightly extended TLT, they can now run 4tec shafts using pede yokes, and those are cheaper than getting the 4tec diffs and everything needed with it to put sliders on.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Yep. Also, the Traxxas parts are much more readily available.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:00 PM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

hahaha, i was in the hobby shop when vertigo was talking to jordan, the man that gave him the idea to make a locker. they (jordan and vertigo) asked me if i would buy one and i was like hell yeah! it would make modifying the tlt sooo much easier. small world i guess. too bad ive already built mine around a pede tranny.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Easier and lighter.

I used Clayton's products all the time before on my T-Maxx and TXT-1 a couple of years ago.

Changed jobs and had to travel too much to enjoy the hobby, traded off everything (sans a few items like 3000mAh packs, motors, digital servos, and ESCs) and took a little time off. Now I'm back to a regional sales job so I have the time to play and can throw a truck or two in the trunk of my car to keep me out of trouble while on the road...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:57 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Hey jon, that happened to me too, built my truck around something else and then the locker comes out. I could still use it but my setup seems to work fine for now. Just would have been much easier than the way I did things. Oh well.

Boilermaker, I sold my T-Maxx2.5 to get my little crawler and have no regrets. Seriously, my crawler is more enjoyable and exciting than the Maxx ever was and tons less work. Hey, where's this gallery you're talking about?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Uh... on the other site... one18th.com in the TLT-1 Gallery, same username.

I have no regrets on getting rid of the T-Maxx or the TXT, both needed more hopups than stock parts. Looked at the REVO but decided to get a Losi LST, so I can't break the nitro habit.

My truck is built with the stock 'bones on the Penguin chassis so it won't be a problem to change it out and swap axles.
Old 12-13-2004, 08:25 PM   #11

johnrobholmes, I have emailed Jordon a few times with no response, If you see him can you get an email address that works for me please.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Clayton
VertigoPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:51 PM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sure clayton, i see him all the time. he is the most dedicated man that i know to rc, especially cars and such.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:12 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Boilermaker, that is a sweet body; nice style, awesome paint job and it also appears to hover under it's own power!!!! :P

Seriously, your truck is going to look awesome when you are done with it. What kind of rims are those and how much were they? They would look nice on "My Little Pony."
Old 12-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Thanks mate! Balancing, I mean, engineering the levitating body too a lot of work.

It's pearl paint backed with black so it appears to change color. The base is a metalic purple fade to metalic blue, but it's hard to catch in a pic. That body will be a show body. I have way too much time invested in that to go bash it. A LandCruiser and Skool Bus bodies will be acquired and painted for bashing.

The rims are the older RPM Starz rear wheels for Assoc. trucks:
http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...ruck/starz.htm

I honestly can't remember what I paid for them, though SRP is only $9.95/pr. The LHS in Louisville gave me a deal on them to get them out of his inventory. I narrowed the backs to clear the steering nuckles better. I need to spray the back side of them with black vinyl dye before I glue them up, but it's been too cold.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:29 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Who wants a 120mm+ driveshaft length?

Yep, I changed the subject of my thread...

My Vertigo locker diff for the TLT-1 showed up today.

Clayton shipped it to me with a Stampede slider so I could test fit it.

I also have E-Maxx tranny u-joint yokes and Maxx sliders from an old TXT project. The E-Maxx tranny shaft is 6mm so there was a little bit of play. T-Maxx tranny shafts are 5mm, so I'll pick up those u-joint yokes to do my conversion.

Back to the new subject...

With the Maxx sliders 50% extended, the slider measured 120mm from u-joint ball to u-joint ball. That measurement was taken using the old Traxxas #4951 sliders, not the new #4951X which are even longer.

The Stampede slider measures ~82mm with the slider 50% extended for a comparison.

Now the question is, how long do the 4-links have to be to run the Maxx sliders in the 50% extended range?

The mic is set to 120mm:

Exploded View:
Old 12-18-2004, 11:11 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Who wants a 120mm+ driveshaft length? *PICS ADDED*

So are you saying thast using this Locker would be better or the same as running the stampede tranny or would you still have to get the stampede tranny
Distressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:43 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Nope. Not saying it's better or the same. It allows you to run sliders or HPI cups and 86mm dogbones with Maxx turnbuckle links on a stock or Penguin RC P2300 chassis.

It's a lighter option than the 'pede tranny and doesn't require any mods to the stock layout, but it still uses the belt drive.

You may be able to fit T-Maxx tranny u-joint yokes to the 'pede tranny as well, but I don't have a 'pede tranny to confirm that they will fit.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:04 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

the maxx yokes mount on your center diff but how exactly do they fit on the output shaft of a tlt-1 axle???
thegodofclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 07:56 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Look at the second pic. Both the 'pede and the maxx yokes have to shaved to get the set screws points over the shafts. Further, the maxx yokes are designed for a through-pin set screw. This has to be changed to a 4mmx6mm set screw and a 3mmx6mm setscrew. On my first try, I didn't tap the holes so the screws were crooked and it affects the yoke. Clamp the yoke and use a tap to get them perpendicular so it will hold the yoke straight on the shaft.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #20

The Traxxas Stampeded ujoints come with the appropriate set screws.
The only mod would be to shave the back side of the U joint to fit all the way onto the pinion shaft and shave away one of the flat spots within the U joint.

The reason for these mods is that the output shaft on our locker needs to fit the HPI cup as well. If we flat spotted both sides the HPI cup could be installed uncentered. Small mods considering the options.

Clayton
VertigoPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote