Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Stick style, TLT build up

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

nice bulid up but you need a smaller body.you have to keep use inform when it gets on rocks.
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #42
RCC Addict

very nice, i was wondering where the stiffness was gonna com from, until you ut that second plat there. looks good, but i'd put something like an T4 crowdpleazer body on it, though...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:22 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Looks like it worked out well for you...love the set up tools. I will have to remember that!

Nice truck man.

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Man there have been so many cool builds here the last month or so I don't know which one I like the best.

This has got to be in the top 3!

Were are you going to mount the battery?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 AM   #45
Nope..

I like the body. I'm gonna build a crawler with a full body one day....
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:25 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Genius !!!!!
Rikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #47
MWRCA'er

Well I was wrong this thing has a ton of torque twist. It can flex one direction but not the other do to the driveshaft being under load. I think I'll still run it in the comp though. With the trans mounted like it is it can scale some impressive hills.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Do you think you can tune the torque twist out or at least reduce it w/ the suspension set up?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 03:56 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Try swaping the two backbone plates around to put your shocks on the other side of the backbone. That should solve all of your tourqe twist issues (at least moving forwards) because the chassis won't be able to "lean" into the side with no shocks

Sweet build BTW!
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #50
MWRCA'er

The trans is mounted the front axle so it's not the chassis that leans. I put the shocks on the other side to see if it would make a difference anyway. Didn't do anything, twists like crazy. I thinking it is because the upper rod end it mounted so high up on the axle it causes the axle to walk or sway.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried stiffer shocks? I think Alot may have to do with short links.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:13 AM   #52
MWRCA'er

Springs are stiff maybe to stiff. It has to to do with the swaying on the axles. The tires scoot under the rig. If I could lower the heim I'm sure it would help. But since the servo is in the way no can do. I am thinking about moving the links closer to each other as that would eliminate some of the handling issues. If all else fails I might try the same type of setup only 4link.

As you can see in this pic the tire on the ground at full flex is near the center of the chassis. The tire on the paint can has rotated farther out from the chassis. Not sure what the lingo for this condition is. Axle walking?, axle sway?

Last edited by Mnster; 06-22-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:47 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

If thats your problem. Then I would think moving you pivit joint closer to the axle. It seems to be causing you swinging. If that was moved lower down it can't swing.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM   #54
MWRCA'er

I think I've found the flexing problem. I compared my chassis to my brothers jefferson chassis. I appears that the axle sway does not make a difference. His truck does the same amount of rocking. But, on his truck the tire under full flex move towards the front. On mine it is just the opposiite it moves away. So the problem is the the links are mounted to far apart the chassis mounts are to wide. Causeing the tires to lift at random. The stick clod also has this issue but it is minimal because the chassis is so slim. So I'm going to make the links longer and criss cross mount them like a X. That would allow for flexing similar to my brothers TLT and hopefully reduce some of the torque twist.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:05 PM   #55
-Q-

What if you built it with the pivot mount behind the servo instead of on top of it? Your servo-mount could incorporate the pivot mount. This would lower the pivot and give you the outcome you are trying to achieve.

Just a thought.
-Q- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:03 AM   #56
MWRCA'er

I made it better, by criss crossing the links I cut the torque twist in half. Headed to the comp this weekend, I should come back with lots of pics.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #57
Pebble Pounder

Wow.. that thing looks awesome!
robbo989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 07:45 PM   #58
MWRCA'er

It performed awesome, I didn't win the comp but I got through most of the gates the other 2.2 trucks did. With some tuning this truck could become a serious contender. I lost the rear shock spring the day before the comp so it springless and was having roll over problems on sidehills. I only had one 3mm screw holding the rear axle mounting plate on so was a little loose out back. I was cutting down my rims so that the locknuts would seat properly and drilled a 3/8 hole all the way through one wheel. The LHS was the worst Hobby store ever, cattered to Magic cards more then anything else. So I stoled a tire from my pede to get it going, swampers suck. The first night I arrived at the campsite where I was staying, I painted and put the body on. Got it driveable in the morning in the tent. I wanted dual servos, but the rooster didn't have the BEC that I needed. So I locked the rear out best I could. The comp was the first time the truck was rocks, ever so I was a little disoriented as to how this truck performs. Gear ratio was spot on, lots wheel speed. Torque twist problem was gone! I had a stick pack electrical taped to the chassis. The original plan was to run some tiny 7 cell pack on the lower half on the front axle. Didn't have time though, I guess there is always next time.

I feel with more tuning and driving the truck will only get better.

Last edited by Mnster; 06-25-2006 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

I agree It performed well for the first time on the rocks.
Some tweaking and it will stay with my scale teuck.
Nice pics by the way.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #60
MWRCA'er

Yeah, I'm thinking

New alum wheel hex's (tired of messing around)

Stadium Blitzer rear wheels (lighter plus not a common seen wheel, narrowed for better control)

7cell battery pack (would give me enough boost to lift the front tires over obsticals like cracks, considering custom made packs of the 2/3a cells, cause they are lighter smaller and easier to mount)

Novak servo regulator setup (current servo output torque is terrible, regulator is lighter then more batterys)

Lots of springs of different varietys (tuning)

Cut foams (more traction)

The whole truck is going to go on a diet soon. I'll be sloting and cutting alot of stuff with my mill.