Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Project help

Hopefully this weekend I will start mapping out my TLT crawler project (TLT better show up soon ). My plans are to run the TXT tranny I have with stock TXT driveshafts. I just read that the TLT axles have the cup output. Does anyone know how I can convert that to the metal tab such as the TXT axles?

Also I have a 2 ideas in my head, wondering if anyone has opinions.
1. Go more for scale with a Bronco body, Imex Swamper Dawgs (2.2), 11-11.5" WB, front steering.

2. More rock crawler, with a CJ8 body (looks better with the longer WB, and looks better with the fenders cut a little bit more for tire clearance), same tires, 12.5-13" WB, 4ws.

Regardless I plan on running a 55t lathe, and setting the tranny up a little higher than most to add for ground clearance (set everything else down, especially the battery to gain lower overall COG).
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2004, 10:35 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project help

The TLT axle pinion shaft is 5mm dia. The TXT tranny shafts are 6mm. You should be able to use a combination of the T-Maxx tranny yokes (5mm) for the axles and E-Maxx tranny yokes for the TXT tranny, then run the Maxx sliders for the drive shafts. Traxxas has an X-Long slider out for the 2.5Maxx with the widened suspension for the 13" WB option.

The Maxx yokes are designed to have a pin to secure them. One hole is 4mm threaded, the other isn't tapped at all, but a 3mm screw will self-tap in the hole. Use a 3mm and a 4mm set screw for each yoke. I know Dubro has both in 4mm and 6mm lengths.
BoilermakerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd go with #2. You'll get bored of scale real fast.
CustomCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 06:17 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Sounds like a fun project. Your options only vary by two inches so they will both look semi scale with the 1/10 scale body. Use the longer wheelbase for added stability, but again, with 2.2s on TLT axles under a 1/10 body, it's going to look somewhat scale.

Hurry up and finish it so we can see some pics!!! :P
CWDU is offline   Reply With Quote