Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: EP's K2-3S **New chassis**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
MODERATOR™

Talking EP's K2-3S **New chassis**

Got one of Kaetwo's Type 3 chassis and slapped it together. Not too sure where it's headed, but not exactly a scaler, and hopefully a good performer. I liked Kaetwo's approach to the link set up, so I based this off his. Even without a lot of triangulation, and within it's realistic working range, there's practically no axle steer.

And of course I'll be updating this thread as it comes together, and get's beat on.

Attached Images

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
Sinking with the ship

Looks like a cool build. I really like how the lower 4 links mount to the chassis, it has a super clean look.

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Looks baddass-I can't forsee any link problems just from looking at the chassis, and I really can't believe K2 of all people would sell a deffective chassis. If anything that guy had a wack setup or something.

Truck looks great, I have a thing for those crazy UTRCRC lowriders
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

Done gitted me some Tamiya TA03 Super Low Friction Touring Kaa Dampers #53280. Added some 40 weight erl. I changed the lower ball end to a TLT end, as per the build up sheet. It's not any longer, just works with the balls to fit in the TLT suspension stay thing.

I notice the servo hits the front chassis brace, and limits it's articulation.

Microgoat should appreciate the beer can cozy.

Strapped the RC18 stock battery on, Mamba glowing... Time to go fer a ride.

Attached Images

Old 07-17-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That looks great....Appears to be a cool simple chassis.
bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Get out there and beat it allready. You will love it.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm really liking this chassis (regardless of the chatter). Love the touring car shocks. I'll keep an eye on this one.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 05:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

i really like the use of touring car shocks... awesome.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

This thing is sweet. Again, I'm a fan of less articulation.

Here's my view with what's going on with the link set up that some of you guys noticed. To get away with the short shocks and still get a decent amount of flex the shocks needed to be mounted at a steep angle. This caused a fairly steep falling rate for the shocks. The one picture shows how laid down they become at full travel. Combine the motion with the torque at the rear axle when climbing with good traction and they both bottom out. Then with the smaller amount of horizontal link seperation, the axle twists.

I'm going to keep everything as it is. It works super dooper so far.

Mashers are better.
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Love seeing that Revolver peeking through!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:39 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Nice truck, I got mine, and painted it, and I didnt know you cant paint aluminum, so I had to scrape the paint off, and wet sand it with 600, looks like normal, almost. Closest I can get, also I love that truck, what body? I am thinking on a bruder body on mine!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Eepee did you use the drive shaft as a up travel limiter? So it has little up travel but full articulation.
Limited articulation works way better........
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I didn't realize how low this thing sits. Barely above the top of the tires. That's lower than a lot of TLT sticks! I'm beginning to like it
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 10:29 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

man EP i really like that truck, like you im totally a fan a small amounts of flex... my 16" WB TXT only lifts a tire 6" now. and it performs better than ever.i kinda put my comp tlt on hold for a little while right now but i might be considering one of those chassis now...
Old 07-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

Yeah Dez, the Revolver was the focal point, I thought that was a neat one too.

ClodCrawlin, I'm not too sure what body I'll use. That's why there isn't one on top yet... I'm bored with seeing the same bodies.

Cole, when I first put the thing together the driveshafts were too long. Guess the Jefferson is longer. So the driveshafts would limit the upwards travel. I didn't like what was happening to the pinion gear at the axle, it would deflect up, and over a little. Thinking I might save the bearing from abuse, I trimmed the shaft a little bit. Both at full compression, and when lifting the driver's rear tire to full articulation, the shaft just barely fully collapses now. And the pinion isn't being pushed.

Microgoater, this thing has the same ground clearance as my Jefferson, only 2 1/4 inches, but the overall chassis height is lower. I like 'em low. Something I was thinking about as I was staring at it, the Revovler weighs less than a lathe motor does. When I mount the electronics above the motor, I'm doing more than usual damage to the center of gravity. Damn lightweight motors...

DF, I like this thing too, it's been a good initial outing. If it weren't 90 degrees and 90 percent humidity outside I'd be out driving!

These shocks feel better than any other shock I've felt. Very smooth, on and off the truck. They have 40 weight in them, and Tamiya's blue spring is usually Stiff/Hard, like a 3 out of 4. Going to their stiffest might be worth trying. Or go softer, and stand the shock more upright, maybe reduce some of that falling rate, and lose even more travel.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The truck looks great! You should use an El-Camino body!
Cubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:06 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

awesome EP, im ordering one if theres any left, you and i have the same likes and dislikes... id rather have something really low, small flex and impress the naysayers when it outperforms them... the more i look at this thread the more i like it... ive got a couple questions though.

1. how long are your links?
2. how did you mount the links on the axle?

scott

PS i totally agree on seeing the same damn bodies all the time, bronco, rubicon, courior, c-10.... boring. thats why my big TXT has a maxx crowd pleazer on it.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:35 AM   #18
MODERATOR™

1. Traxxas 5138 lowers, and 5319 uppers. That's 5138 lower, and 5319 upper. The wheelbase is 12 1/4 inches.

2. The first post has the best picture showing the mounting of the upper, the lower uses a TLT suspension stay.

I can take better pictures when I get back from work.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
1. Traxxas 5138 lowers, and 5319 uppers. That's 5138 lower, and 5319 upper. The wheelbase is 12 1/4 inches.

2. The first post has the best picture showing the mounting of the upper, the lower uses a TLT suspension stay.

I can take better pictures when I get back from work.
thanks a lot man!
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM   #20
MODERATOR™

The lack of vertical seperation at the axle has shown itself in the form of axle wrap. There's a few ways to address this, but I 'm not gonna change anything just yet, it's still too new. Also as I've put a few more hundred feet worth of driving on this rig, with the ball ends breaking in, the lack of triangulation now allows some side to side movement of the axles. Big whoop.

I might change the wheelbase to fit whatever body I get, that would change suspension geometry. Any of you guys remember what suspension is ya stick lovin crackers!

Under the suspension stay I used leftover Revo balls I had from a package of Revo ball ends. I guess if you have TLT balls, you could use a washer to get the same stack height. Revo links = Revo balls. There's picture of the two side by side in that Vendor's thread.

Attached Images