Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First crawler - Stock chassis - Who needs expensive stuff... 56k beware

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #21
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbgerrish
5) some people will say lay down your tranny for better COG, but I've seen standup setups work just as well... I perfer standup.
The only visible advantage that I have seen with a layed down tranny is side hill stability.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster
Well thats not very helpful is it...?

rbgerrish: I don't take it negatively at all. You have been crawling longer than I have, so every little bit of knowledge helps. I don't know how much more I will do to the truck, but I have this bookmarked in case I do. Being a totally broke father/college student makes it hard to do upgrades.
I thought it was.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:30 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikster

rbgerrish: I don't take it negatively at all. You have been crawling longer than I have, so every little bit of knowledge helps. I don't know how much more I will do to the truck, but I have this bookmarked in case I do. Being a totally broke father/college student makes it hard to do upgrades.
Understandable! Good luck, and have FUN!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 03:59 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Picked up a body today. Took the truck down to the LHS and fit bodies to it. The Bronco body fits perfectly (even better than my buddies, my WB is slightly under 11.5"). Hope to have it painted and mounted by tomorrow. I also picked up some brass tubing to sleeve my links. I picked brass as it matches the shocks and shock mounts. I will post pics ASAP and hopefully another video once everything is mounted. I hope that once I get the body on, I can move this thread over to the scale forum. I think it will look pretty good once I am done.
Trikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

My truck is going to be extacly like yours I just bought a bronco body and have almost the same chassis setup
FORD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Cool! To be honest, I have not been much of a crawler fan until very recently when a buddy of mine took me for a ride in his International Scout. I never got to go on the Rubicon with him (may the Scout rest in pieces) but always wanted too. If they had a Scout body, I would have bought that, but I always have liked the look of the old Bronco. Saw one on the way to the LHS today that was cherry...and covered in mud. Someone that is all show and all go.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:57 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Well, got the body and some other bits to finish off the project. I hope to post up some pics later today. Supposed to be 111° today, so not sure if I will have any outdoor pics.

Went with the Bronco body, it fit my wheelbase very nice. Bought some brass tubing to sleeve my links (matches the shocks). Painted the frame flat-black as well.

When I painted the body, I had a happy mistake happen. I think my original base-coat paint can was defective as it would not cover properly. Once I sprayed it on the body, it ran out really fast. So I went ahead and backed it with silver to fill in the gaps in the paint (the base coat was supposed to be neon yellow). What happened is the yellow turned to lime green with the backing and because it didn't cover well, it looks like it changes colors depending on the light. I think it looks AWESOME! I also went with hidden mounts so I don't have to poke any holes in the body (so rare that I use body mounts like those anyway).

The flat-black on the frame looks killer. I went ahead and reoriented how I had my Rx and ESC mounted and used some zip-ties to route wires along the frame. The brass tubing I bought looks almost exactly like the brushed finish on the stock shocks and added a tremendous amount of strength to the links. I knew they would, but since I had not decided on an overall scheme I left that for later.

I hope that the detailing that I do to the body will qualify as a scaler. Using the stock chassis isn't the best start for this, but I have seen a few rigs in the scale forum with comp style chassis with lots of body details. I am having some hard time finding some of the scale bits that I want to use, so I think I am going to just go ahead and make my own. I bought a roof rack that fits nicely on the roof of the Bronco. Things I am planning on adding to the truck: sleeping bag, cooler, gas can, exhaust, mirrors, wipers, highlift jack, bumpers, tow-hitch, and a winch (most likely functional, but not via the remote). If I can get the above to look good, I will move on to an interior. Bucket seats, steering wheel, dash, shifter...etc. I need to find some good pics of a 1:1 Bronco or if I can find the owner of the Bronco that I see around town, I will take the pictures I need.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:48 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Default Budget Bronco

Well, here she is.

The only poser shot on the rocks. The other was taken in motion...

Front links (and yes, the stick Tx you see in the right of the image is what I use to drive)

3/4 front, note flat-black chassis and spring steel body mount.

Rear links

Electronics (at rear)

Didn't get a chance for video. At the time I took these pics, it was 106° out in the shade. Hot enough to have a drop of sweat sizzle on a dark rock. When I do my next video, I hope to have the camera mounted to the roof rack for some first person POV video.

So what do you all think? Do you think I have a chance at a scaler?

Last edited by Trikster; 07-22-2006 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:28 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Looks great, and gave me plenty of ideas for my own project. It'll be pretty similar, just a Rubicon body, Masher's, and stock trans be the main difference's.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:38 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Looks good.Like the color and with the chasis black you hardly notice it,and I think it looks more scale then some of the others ones in the scale forum.
FORD84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

really nice work, nice attention to details
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Thanks for the support everyone. I took some video with the camera mounted to the roof rack. Pretty good stuff, I hope to host it soon.

Jrgunn5150, the Rubicon has an inch more of wheelbase, so you will have to make your own links. Also, the stock trans sits really low, so your ground clearance will be very poor.

FORD84, exactly what I was hoping for.

cartronicshn, thanks a bunch. Hope to make it to the LHS to get supplies for the rest of the scale details.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:43 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

I have a real Rubicon, so I gotta have that body, but I'll build around it.
Jrgunn5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:00 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I am guessing you will need links around 110mm or longer for your lowers; especially if you use the stock tranny and stock chassis link mounts.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:09 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Got a fun run in this evening. The rock creek I drive in (usually only decorative unless a sprinkler is broken) was flowing with water (sprinkler broken). Water was about 2 to 2.5 inches deep. I was pleasantly surprised at the grip the Moabs had on river rock even though they were wet and at times submerged. Ran the course both directions 4 times (its about 500 feet long and 1 to 6 feet wide; averaging 4 feet) until I couldn't see anymore (9pm) and reverse didn't want to work. Figuring something got wet, but forward worked just fine. Once I got inside, reverse worked after about 4 tries. Had a couple new onlookers, they thought it was really cool and "Looks like the real thing" and asked a ton of questions. Hope that sprinkler doesn't get fixed soon so I can crawl in the creek more. By the look of things, the creek at one time was probably a good 5 inches deep...how much of a blast would that be?!

Any good waterproofing tips out there? I have used balloons in the past (actually unlubed condoms) but never did anything to a servo... Ideas?

I hope to host up my roof-rack cam video this weekend, stay tuned.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 AM   #36
Pebble Pounder

hey trikster,

i like your idea on using the stock chassis.
how did you mount the pede tranny?
i just bought a new tlt kit.

thanks
invertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:14 PM   #37
RCC Addict

In the picture below, you can see 4 large socket head screws. The tranny is stood up to fit within the stock aluminum chassis spacers.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Took my rig with me to Half-Moon Bay where I was camping with my wife/kids. Did very well, even though the Moabs didn't like the sand much. The rocks covered with sand were tough going, but I only had one spot where I couldn't make it up. I think if I had wheel-weights, I would have had a chance, but other than that area, 60% grades were a non-issue. Had many spots where I would go up on three wheels to get up the hill and at one spot, I got up on two... The rear suspension was almost always compressed, so it showed me a few areas to improve. I still don't think I need expensive stuff to have a competative rig.