Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Xtreme Axle Ends. **LOOK**

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 07:36 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Xtreme Axle Ends. **LOOK**

Well Here they are. Now far as I now I'm the first here besides insanerc to test these so here you go. The install was pretty straight foward. The bolts that screw in and keep the knuckles in place have to be changed to M3 screws. luckly I had a few sitting around. They really seemed to strengthen everything up. I don't see a way these are going to break. But I'm going to try. Now here is what I like about them the most. After I installed my 32mm Tobee Craft wideners I lost some of my turning radius. Now after the Xtreme axle ends install they turn sharper then stock. Here are the pic's. They looks sweet. Add a set of Alloy knuckles and they will be the perfect axle combo. I will post more pic's with the alloy knuckles here in a few days.

The first pic's just shows a stock axle and the ends.

The second pic's shows the turning radius difference.

And here is a close up of the M3 screw that replaced the stock one.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 08-01-2006 at 07:44 PM.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Those look pretty sweet. What bugs need to be worked out.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Theres no bugs really. They just need to be tested as every thing does. I don't see any problems coming from this install. I just worded it wrong. I fixed it.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 07-21-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yeah all we want is for you guys to beat the hell out of them and see what goes first, your wheel or our axle end, lol. Have fun!

David
Xtreme rc hobbies
insanerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #5
Ultimate RC Decals

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanerc
Yeah all we want is for you guys to beat the hell out of them and see what goes first, your wheel or our axle end, lol. Have fun!

David
Xtreme rc hobbies

how much for a set?
BOWTIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for the newb question, but I have not seen this product yet. What essentually does it do and is there anything required for the conversion? Now that I think, does it extend the knuckles outward to allow more steering travel instead of hitting the axles?
somedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
RCC Addict

These axle ends actually do a few things. They do move the pivot point out about 1/32" which does increase steering just a bit, they can be use to repair broken stock axle ends, or they can be put in place just to beef up a weak part in the TLT design. Here is a pic of someones axle that gave at this weak spot. With our ends it could have been fixed.

David
Xtreme rc hobbies
Attached Images

Old 07-21-2006, 12:00 AM   #8
RCC Addict

wow, those look nice. now correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks as if you have to remove the stock plastic from the axle to use these?
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You do, but not much I think, just where you bolt the knuckles on, I know someone that might make alum tlt casings, so if he does sweet, and if he doesnt, I might want this set up!
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:22 AM   #10
Nope..

Jeez, now I HAVE to go break my TLT knuckles to "have a reason" to buy these. "Look honey, it broke. But instead of buying new axles, I can buy these cool parts from this guy on rccrawler and FIX it."
BTW, what kind of aluminum are they made of?

Last edited by Brainstain; 07-21-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Yes you do have to remove the stock axle ends to install these and it explains this on our website. There is no need for anyone to just go out and break their stuff to replace it with these. As stated this can be used for a repair or by someone who just wants to beef up this weak area so he won't have to worry about it in the future. If you're not concerned with this area on you TLT then obviously there is no need to purchase these parts. If you are someone who has broke them or is very hard on your rc equipment then these are a nice thing to consider.

Sincerely,
David (insanerc)
Xtreme rc hobbies
Old 07-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Looks like there might be a market in these ends
EMUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Default I Will Get Some!!

I wish I knew about these. Between me and my son I have replaced 4 Diff. case's in the last three months because the plastic broke just like in the picture.
axelnut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

subscribed. I'm very interested in these.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Remember guys that these can also be used to repair ends that have already broken off. Not only do we have these going we have a backup design in place just in case we ever have any problems with these. Meanwhile we'll continue to beat them up. Visit our site for these and other cool stuff.

See ya,
David
Xtreme rc hobbies
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Default Cool design....

Have you looked into placing a flanged bearing above and below the steering knuckle? My biggest complaint about the TLT axels is that there seems to be a lot of steering binding which causes a huge load on the electronics (when using a decent servo). Trying to keep the steering smooth is next to impossible and never works when there is a load on the wheels. It would seem to me that a set of bearing there would make a huge difference.

Just a thought. Let us know when there available.

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:08 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo
Have you looked into placing a flanged bearing above and below the steering knuckle? My biggest complaint about the TLT axels is that there seems to be a lot of steering binding which causes a huge load on the electronics (when using a decent servo). Trying to keep the steering smooth is next to impossible and never works when there is a load on the wheels. It would seem to me that a set of bearing there would make a huge difference.

Just a thought. Let us know when there available.

Our axle ends are available right now on our website. As far as your idea I know just what you're talking about and like it.

David
Xtreme rc hobbies
Old 07-25-2006, 08:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Step:1- Remove Knuckle and cut the ears off the axles like so.

Step :2- Smooth the end of the axles down so the Xtreme axle ends slide on easy. Like So

Step:3- Bolt on Xtreme Axle ends.

Step:4- Bolt the Knuckles and Steering link back on. Job Completed.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 07-25-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:46 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Well it appear there's more than just a couple of people out there that like our Axle Ends. This is for just one customer and the demand is high. I appreciate this helpful and well written installation thread run2. Sure makes it easier on folks when they can see hoe something is done.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Well I have tested this even more and put them through a tough test. More of a Oh Crap I can't believe I just did that test. I was down at Fast Night Park to do some wheeling. Doing all good. Climbing a huge rock face. Got to the top. Just alittle taller then me. The tricky part of this rock is once you get to the top even with rear steer you have to make atleast a 3pt turn. I hit my rear steer getting ready to back up. Well guess what I did. I pulled the trigger instead of pushing it up to back up. Well the Jeep jumped off the top of that rock. Which should have been only a 6ft drop. But where I was at was on a hill so add another 3ft to that. This Jeep took a flying leap, not a slow drop. Let me remind you I had it full throttle foward. Well it didn't land on any soft surface. Like dirt or sand or even grass. It nails this huge rock on the bank of the creek on the fornt drivers tires. I just new something broke. Well after it hits that rock it rolls into the creek. I rush down there to get and checked it all over. The only thing that borke was my driver side upper link. The rod end pulled out of the broken end. Easy fix. Good news was that the axles were fine. I just kept on wheeling with a broken link. I wish I could have caught in on video. Oh well.....It lives to crawl another day. Thanks to David at Xtreme RC Hobbies for making a bullet proof part.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 10-05-2006 at 04:15 AM.