Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: New member - First build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 04:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New member - First build

This is my first ever build, tlt axles, stampede trans, tube frame, custom suspension stays and upper link truss. New to the internet world of rc trucks, any comments or ideas would be appreciated! (Don't mind the tread, I just threw em on for the pics)

chugdugdadug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New member - First build

Love it! I too have played around with brass tube, made a 10th scale NASCAR chassis and a buggy roll cage for rc10, fill gaps with lexan.
RiceBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Name:  5 003.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  90.0 KB

Name:  5 004.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  85.6 KB

Uses pan car rear end trailing arms on coil springs (associated vcs) , same up front sandwiched between double a-arms, steers from under dash by steering column, fits 1/10th pan car body...
Old 07-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Looks awesome! I really like your detail on it, there's a lot going on, in a good way. I'm not quite sure where to go with mine, I got a 1/12 scale hilux body from a thor for it, but I'd have to mess with the wheelbase a bunch to make it fit. The body also seems kind of proportionately small for the links, so maybe I'll just do all tube and put panels on it.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thankx chug, brass is a wonderful media, you can make anything you want. Check out 17dean Big Baby build and.... well cant think of right now but theres lots of brass builds. I'll try and find some more for you to check out... All tube and panels will give you that custom wraith look, badass.

Last edited by RiceBurner; 07-30-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
I joined the Band!

If u move the shocks inside the frame it will help your rig flex alot smoother. U want your shocks at the most 90 degrees ;):thumbup:
TNCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks RiceBurner, I appreciate the interest. I think styrene stuff looks cool too, but there's just something about using the most metal possible!

TNCrawler, I will move my shocks inside and see how much better it works. I don't know much about geometry so I kind of just threw this thing together with no direction, or concept of what it would even look like.

I think I will get back on the project and finish it up as a full brass body. I don't like how small the tires I have look on it so I may look into some big V-tread tires/wheels like Clods.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCrawler View Post
If u move the shocks inside the frame it will help your rig flex alot smoother. U want your shocks at the most 90 degrees ;):thumbup:
I was gonna say the same thing thing, otherwise it looks great love the old school build for your instead of just buying a rtr axial. This is the same setup as my first build and she is still going strong.
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Any reason why the top links in front aren't mounted on the inside?
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Just moved the shocks inside the frame, works a lot better, thanks for the advice!

The top links weren't mounted for the pic because I wasn't finished with everything yet.

Now all I have to do is unbolt everything on the frame and get back to work joining brass together, so that I can put it all back together again, so that I can take it all apart again, and so on...
Old 08-16-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
I joined the Band!

Updates bro?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Well I've been trying to figure out what to do about the body, if I want to throw on a shell or just make it straight tuber. My only thing is hiding all the electronics. I've also got a bunch of other projects going so it's kind of on the back burner right now.. also about to thin my herd though.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I did just get a hold of some Imex dually tires though, which I narrowed the rims for single tires and I think they would look good on it. They just need some more work before I can put up some photos.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugdugdadug View Post
I did just get a hold of some Imex dually tires though, which I narrowed the rims for single tires and I think they would look good on it. They just need some more work before I can put up some photos.
Cool i will keep an eye out :cool:
Old 08-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Ok, decided on tires/wheels for it, going with narrowed Imex tractor tires. I like the height of them, and how narrow they are. I just ordered a tamiya hilux cab, so when it gets here I can finally finish my tube frame. I'm going for a bed less full cage sort of thing, hopefully I can fit all the electronics under the cab. I just started to work with metal, so I know it's not the best build ever but I think it'll be fun to drive. After this project is finished I might try a c-rail/leaf spring chassis. Next truck will be brazed and not soldered.

Here are the tires mounted up:
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Thats going to make a great mud truck, Looks cool. Old truck body would look good.
simp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:38 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

So I got back on the horse, finished and got rid of some projects so I could focus more on things I started and never finished.

Got my hilux cab in the mail, I ordered the shell only but am considering the purchase of a grill. Either that or I will jump into styrene work, gotta start somewhere!

Here's what the truck looked like when I got back into it, and mounted the body up:

I got some straight axle adapters in the mail as well, and went through and cut into my TLT's for a cleaner look on the rear. I think it looks much better!

Got the cab mounted up, and the axles and tires back on. Temping to leave white to show contrast with mud all over it!

And here's a picture of the flat bed I started, mocked up onto the frame. Once it's finished gluing, I will make a metal frame around the outside and attach it to the chassis somehow. I'd also like to make some slots for optional stake sides, so I can carry some hay around! I also started to make a back to the cab out of wood, but I may go with styrene eventually.

Next up i will finish the bed, finish up the frame and sand down the joints on the brass, make an interior, tow hitch, and maybe a rust job. Any comments or ideas are welcome. Hope y'all like it!
Old 09-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Wow! Very unique

What wideners are those?
grob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

I'm not positive on who made the wideners, they just came with the tlt's when I got them. All of the different parts put together on the axle looks kinda funny and mismatched, but it'll do for now. I want to put some scale metal axles under there!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Does the wheelbase of my cab look off from the front wheel?

New member - First build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Formula Slash/Off Build Code Name: Gold Member BladeMech Formula Offroad 6 04-14-2012 03:40 PM
New member with CC01 solid front axle build BigSwede Tamiya XC/CC01 29 02-02-2011 02:33 PM
A hello from a new member :-) Reiko Chit Chat 6 01-30-2007 07:36 AM
new member - new txt build gumby240 Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 16 09-05-2005 07:26 PM